PDA

View Full Version : Have Any Reservations on Buying Mags Marked "LE"?

Race
03-03-09, 16:01
I've always steered away from them. I've never wanted there to be any question, in the event of a future magazine ban.

Anyone feels that's unfounded? I suppose a new ban may stipulate a new type of identifying mark, but I'm still hesitant.

I suppose there is also the chance a non informed LEO could see the "Law Enforcement Only" marking and question why I would have them.

Thanks.

Dave L.
03-03-09, 16:08
I believe companies only do it now for the coolness factor.

I wouldn't worry about it. Barry is too busy spending our money...

Eliakim
03-03-09, 20:02
I wouldn't worry about the LE markings on a magazine. If they're out to get you the "authorities" can get you regardless of the words pressed into your magazine.

I think the words written in the Bill of Rights should have more gravity than the words written on a magazine. ;)

SWATcop556
03-03-09, 22:01
When I see "LE Only" on magazines I think that some one was able to get a good deal on some older magazines. I wouldn't think anything of it.

If there was future ban put in place I'm sure that there would be a date specification for the mags.

I wouldn't worry about it.

dirksterg30
03-04-09, 10:17
I've got a few "LE Only" mags that I bought 2 years after the AWB expired. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

skyugo
03-04-09, 20:27
i have 3 of em for my glock 19.
i don't ccw with em, but i use em at the range.
no need to give some jackass civil attorney any leverage.

markm
03-04-09, 20:31
I didn't care about owning them during the last ban. I'll ignore any future ban as well.

13F3OL7
03-05-09, 14:29
I have several that are marked restricted LE/Military use/Export only and I have no qualms about it at all, but then I'm also on AD right now.

Beat Trash
03-05-09, 17:59
I'm not worried about it at all.

If there is any future bans, I doubt that there would be any "Grandfathering", so it wouldn't matter...

RogerinTPA
03-05-09, 21:33
LE marked mags carry the same weight as "For Military or Law Enforcement only" on my Colt 6920. It means absolutely NOTHING.;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-09, 22:10
I'm not worried about it at all.

If there is any future bans, I doubt that there would be any "Grandfathering", so it wouldn't matter...

That could be a plus or a negative. It would be hard to 're-instate' the 94 ban, but on the other hand, didn't a lot of LE marked ones have dates in them, which could be a bonus later.

Just shoot em.

varoadking
03-06-09, 05:13
That could be a plus or a negative. It would be hard to 're-instate' the 94 ban, but on the other hand, didn't a lot of LE marked ones have dates in them, which could be a bonus later.

Just shoot em.

I don't believe they can "re-instate" or a dead piece of legislation per se. I have to wonder about the Constitutionality of not grandfathering old LE Only magazines - that would amount to confiscation as opposed to regulation. It would not be difficult for them to mark magazines with a new date to identify new LE Only magazines.

threefeathers
03-08-09, 10:02
I have a bunch of LEO marked mags that I will use as long as I can. But, I've made certain I have 5 non-leo marked mags just in case. They are put away just in case we get another ban.

RadioActivity
03-08-09, 13:54
Ironically I saw this very thing happen. A TSA twat gave one of the guys from my unit (Army) going on leave a hard time for having "for LE only" mags while going through airport security (he was checking a handgun, and the mags). He insisted they were illegal until he called a cop over and the cop said "uh....he's fine".

Anywhoo, I wouldn't let it bother you, it doesn't bother me :D

Saginaw79
03-08-09, 17:30
I dont worry about it.

LE here is so ignorant about gun laws anyway, I figure if its an issue im getting slung anyway so...

boganz45
03-10-09, 11:45
Don't think it would matter - one of my guns even says restricted for military / law enforcement use only - and I'll be damned if they try to take it because of said marking.

wargasm
03-10-09, 15:19
"LE ONLY" markings are a non-issue, IMHO. Now, if it somehow becomes regulated under NFA rules, then they get lost in a boating accident!

Jack_Stroker
03-11-09, 11:35
I have quite a few magazines with LE markings on them. My Colt LE 6920's have them too. Never gave it a any real thought.

Race
03-11-09, 12:05
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. My concern has been:

1. New "AWB/Magazine" ban comes along.

2. All "LE" marked mags are now verboten, again - forget grandfathering.

3. Maybe new "LE" marked mags are distinguished from old mags, maybe not.

4. Opportunistic LE/Fed agent, smelling "easy activity" confiscates or arrests at the discovery of "LE" marked mags by a non LEO.

Ultimately, it's speculative at this point. Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I'll need to decide for myself.

Best.