PDA

View Full Version : NFA Items through Corporation or Trust

MikeCLeonard
12-15-06, 17:18
So I have read that you can bypass a CLEO sighoff/fingerprint card/photo card by buying an NFA item through a corporation/family corporation/ or Trust.

Are these very hard to do and what are the requirements. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

NickB
12-15-06, 19:46
Not written by me (haven't even read it, actually): http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199942

Hoplophile
12-16-06, 00:01
1. Buy Quicken Willmaker. You can even use a credit card and buy it online.
2. Install the software, run the app and select the option to create a revocable living trust.
3. Follow the intructions and fill in the blanks.
4. Print the documents
5. Take the documents to a notary public and have them notarized. Depending on your state you may need to another step like take a copy of the documents to the local courthouse to have them entered into the records but here in VA nothing more was needed.
6. Fill out the ATF forms, listing the trust as the owner/purchaser/manufacturer of the weapon.
7. Mail the forms to ATF and wait for them to come back in the mail.

Bulldog1967
12-16-06, 10:56
How do your SBRs get marked then, with your name or the name of the trust?

9x19
12-16-06, 12:25
SBRs owned by the revocable living trust are marked with the name of the trust. I'll PM you with an example.

Hoplophile
12-16-06, 12:42
How do your SBRs get marked then, with your name or the name of the trust?
Ownership of the rifle is transferred to the trust and the trust is "manufacturing" the SBR. You are not associated with the weapon anymore beyond your status as the trustee who controls all items placed in the trust.

CarlosDJackal
12-22-06, 11:23
SBRs owned by the revocable living trust are marked with the name of the trust. I'll PM you with an example.

Any chance you can post an example instead? If not, I'd appreciate a copy of the picture.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!!

9x19
12-22-06, 12:20
The name of the trust is the name that should be engraved on it. Jackal/Jackal Trust, or Jackal/Hyena Trust if the two people don't share the same last name. I don't have a picture of the engraving.

Nathan_Bell
12-22-06, 18:49
Is your CLEO non -NFA friendly? I had heard that my county sheriff could be a bit of a PITA, but I took mine down at 11:30 one morning and his secretary called me at 12:45 to come and pick it up. Had it in the mail one day later. Still ain't got it back yet but its bureaucrats near the holidays. <shrug>

docsprague
01-07-07, 03:27
It may very from state to state. In Missouri you are required to have some sort of FFL to have a SBR. A c&r will work. However the BATFE will not issue any type of FFL to a trust so you are better off to go the LLC route. You have to pay a one time fee of $105 to the state and as long as the LLC never makes money you do not have to do any form of taxes. I found out the Trust was a no go after waiting three months for the BATFE to reject my C&R application under the trust name. I went a head and went the individual route since my CLEO would sign off.