PDA

View Full Version : Really Liking the 10-8 Rear Sight!

bgoode
03-04-09, 19:30
After 2 hrs I have my rear sight installed. Not an easy as it sounds job! I wanted to do it myself and ITS IN!!!! I am proud I did the job myself but I had to remove some material on all 3 dovetail sides. AINT NO SLIP IN EASY JOB. It will shine in some areas but I dont mind a little used and loved look. Cant wait to get it out on the range. The front sight is way easier to pick up and alot less eye strain or "crowded" feel for me now.
Well worth the trouble I think :D;):D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/10-8.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-04-09, 22:36
I have one of these on one of my 1911s and dont care much for it. I'm thinking of enlarging the notch some.

signal4l
03-04-09, 23:11
I have one on my M&P 45 and like it. Great sight picture

Mark71
03-05-09, 01:20
Nice Baer! The 10-8 sight is my favorite and have it installed on multiple guns.

Daveo
03-05-09, 06:33
I have one of these on one of my 1911s and dont care much for it. I'm thinking of enlarging the notch some.

I purchased one of the wider models and I love mine - .140" I think?

Paulinski
03-05-09, 08:36
I have 10-8 sights on my Glocks and 1911. They work great for me.

Sidewinder6
03-05-09, 11:57
Yup. I replaced my Heine rear for a 10-8. I like the wider sight and didnt care for the Straight8 light array. Now I am a single tritium dot. No white.

theJanitor
03-05-09, 12:07
it was hard to fit to one of my 1911's as well, but it's a great sight.

NCPatrolAR
03-05-09, 12:36
I purchased one of the wider models and I love mine - .140" I think?

I believe the alternate sizes are .140 and .156

mark5pt56
03-05-09, 17:23
I'm getting ready to order the Heinie Straight Eight night sights. I have a set now and have the standard notch. The next set will be .156, I plan on opening up my current one. I did this to the Mepro's on the 26, helps some, that's temporary though until I replace them. Fairly easy task to do with some files and cold blue.

varoadking
03-05-09, 20:43
I have one of these on my Nighthawk Talon and they are nice, but I like the old YO-BO Profesional Grade profile better and have those on 2 of my pieces.

Not much fancy about it, but this SOB will flat shoot the lights out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/SAMC1.jpg

decodeddiesel
03-05-09, 23:12
I really like my 10-8 rear. It took a good amount of fitting though.

Sidewinder6
03-06-09, 10:22
I really like my 10-8 rear. It took a good amount of fitting though.

Probably not a bad thing. I did mine by myself as well and took a couple hours to get it right but now, the one handed reload drills wont cause the sights to fail.

Yojimbo
03-06-09, 12:25
Looks great!

I'm thinking of putting a set on my Series 1 Kimber. Will they make thes available with the two dot tritium inserts like the Straight Eights?

Also, does anyone have some good pics showing the difference between the .125" and .140" notches?

I've just turned 40 and my eyes aren't what they were 20 years ago. I'm thinking the .140" notch would be a good choice for me. Does the .140" notch seem much better to any of you older guys?

Sidewinder6
03-06-09, 13:45
Looks great!

I'm thinking of putting a set on my Series 1 Kimber. Will they make thes available with the two dot tritium inserts like the Straight Eights?

Also, does anyone have some good pics showing the difference between the .125" and .140" notches?

I've just turned 40 and my eyes aren't what they were 20 years ago. I'm thinking the .140" notch would be a good choice for me. Does the .140" notch seem much better to any of you older guys?

I cant speak to the tritium, but can on the wider rear. You will be surprised on how much it improves your getting the gun up on target, speed wise. Help you find the front site. I only replaced my rear which, was a Heine straight 8 with 2 dots. I blackened out the white dot on the front so I only see one green dot in darkness and have a black rear.

maximus83
03-06-09, 18:28
I changed out the standard 3-dot tritiums on one of my 1911's for a 10-8 rear sight, and liked the 10-8 so much, I'm thinking of going to this approach on my other 1911's, and all my m&p's as well.

Daveo
03-06-09, 18:37
I'm running a Trijicon tritium front without an outline, so the tritium only shows up at night. I'm a fan, I wouldn't do anything differently if I had to do it again (other than who put the sights on...long story).

I just checked, and I do indeed have the .140" notch. I'm glad I went with larger than the .125" version. I have not tried the largest one.

Here's a link about the sight...
http://www.10-8performance.com/id14.html

varoadking
03-06-09, 21:15
I was mistaken about the origins of the YO-BO PG sights, and have edited my original post on the matter...

Dan Goodwin
03-08-09, 12:53
Has anyone tried running one of the wider 10-8 U-notch sights with an XS Big Dot (or standard dot) Tritium front?

Wondering if that would be a quick "Old Guy Sight" solution?

Dave Berryhill
03-09-09, 10:05
Has anyone tried running one of the wider 10-8 U-notch sights with an XS Big Dot (or standard dot) Tritium front?

Wondering if that would be a quick "Old Guy Sight" solution?

I've installed a few with a standard XS front sight and a .156 U-notch (The Big Dot front sights are way too big). This combo does give a quick sight picture for close up shooting and the U-notch is a better option than the express rear sight that XS uses but they do have limitations.

The XS front sight is not a square post so it's difficult to align the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight for accurate shooting. Also, I've found some POI change between shooting with the sights aligned in the traditional method vs. centering the dot in the U-notch.

A square post front sight with a large dot and a shallower U-notch in the rear sight would work better IMO. I contacted XS once to see if I could make a front sight and send it to them for installation of the "big dot" but they didn't have any interest whatsoever.