PDA

View Full Version : 1st time owner of M4

clutchhead
03-04-09, 20:21
I just recently bought an M4 Carbine over the weekend, 16 inch barrel removable carry handle, etc, etc. This is my first M4 that I have bought and I am in love with the gun. It is a Bushmaster XM15 that I bought from a private dealer. He had several of these new guns laying around and was willing to come off of one.

But anywho, I am looking for some good sites where I can order some accessories for my gun. I noticed that there are quite a few of you who know what you are talking about and can maybe help me out by pointing me to some decent vendors for accessories. I am looking to put some rails for the hand guard, and possibly a decent sight up top. If I do put some type of optics up top, I would like to have the opportunity to still use some type of iron sight if at all possible.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated.

BIGUGLY
03-04-09, 20:25
www.brownells.com, great people exceptional company.

clutchhead
03-04-09, 20:26
Thanks, will check them out.

seb5
03-04-09, 21:04
Bravo Co
G&R Tactical
Operation Parts
Adco
Ranier Arms

SoDak
03-04-09, 21:08
Bravo Company is also a very good place as well as a site supporter. Also I can't offer much help in wha to put on your gun, but before you start buying things I would suggest you search this site for discussions for various things like optics, handguard, sight, etc.. This can offer a lot of insight into what works and what doesn't as well as making you think more about what benefits adding these accesories to your gun and whether or not they are worth the money. In the meantime, just get ammo and mags for it.

LTPhoon
03-04-09, 21:50
Bravo Company is also a very good place as well as a site supporter. Also I can't offer much help in wha to put on your gun, but before you start buying things I would suggest you search this site for discussions for various things like optics, handguard, sight, etc.. This can offer a lot of insight into what works and what doesn't as well as making you think more about what benefits adding these accesories to your gun and whether or not they are worth the money. In the meantime, just get ammo and mags for it.

And a sling.

clutchhead
03-05-09, 05:51
Yeah I have been stocking up on mags and ammo for the time being. When I bought the gun I also bought 5 30 round mags for it as well, and the private dealer has tons more, I mean tons more. But I do have to say that it is getting harder and harder to find ammo for it, but I have found some here and there and get it while I can.

I appreciate the links and comments, will look for the accessories her in the near future, but like pretty much everyone else said, look around the forum and read what other people think, and I will definitely increase my stock more of mags and ammo.

thanks

nighthawk756
03-05-09, 07:54

+1!

And don't forget Larue Tactical also. ;)

Ghostface03
03-05-09, 08:09
Congratulations on your M4!

Sierra 1
03-05-09, 08:29
www.brownells.com
www.bravocompanyusa.com
www.skdtac.com
www.laruetactical.com

There are tons more out there but these are some of the top of the line places. If you can't find what you want just do a google search and you will find what you need.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 08:57
I think it would be easier to let you know who I had problems from.

I would stay away from Galati International, They took my order, charged my card for the whole thing and said "we will pre ship the stuff we have in (which was most of my order) then when every thing else gets here we will ship that out" They waited 10 day and never shipped anything until they got everything then when i finally called they said "oh its sitting on our desk, we will ship out today" I told them to jump in a lake and demanded my money back. They missed out on at least A $500 order.

Also www.airsoftstation.com I ordered A bipod from there and it said item was in stock, But after a week I finally got an email saying it was going to be shipping out in 10 days when they got some more in, of course I canceled and got it from; www.airarmsports.com.

Spikes tactical has been about the best place, If they carry what I want. they are really nice and I would do business again when I need to.

Iraqgunz
03-05-09, 09:18
Out of curiousity. What would possess you to put bipod for airsoft crap on a real firearm?

I think it would be easier to let you know who I had problems from.

I would stay away from Galati International, They took my order, charged my card for the whole thing and said "we will pre ship the stuff we have in (which was most of my order) then when every thing else gets here we will ship that out" They waited 10 day and never shipped anything until they got everything then when i finally called they said "oh its sitting on our desk, we will ship out today" I told them to jump in a lake and demanded my money back. They missed out on at least A $500 order.

Also www.airsoftstation.com I ordered A bipod from there and it said item was in stock, But after a week I finally got an email saying it was going to be shipping out in 10 days when they got some more in, of course I canceled and got it from; www.airarmsports.com.

Spikes tactical has been about the best place, If they carry what I want. they are really nice and I would do business again when I need to.

rob_s
03-05-09, 10:35
While not really answering your questions...

I would strongly suggest starting slowly, getting out and shooting the gun, figuring out what parts might work best for your application, etc. The key to not wasting a bunch of money on a gun and accessories is actually knowing what you hope to achieve/improve with any given purchase and then having the ability/skills/knowledgebase/opportunity to try it out and see if it meets your goals.

I went the completely opposite direction years ago, and instead went about buying all the trinkets that were hot at the time. What I lacked was the ability to really be able to discern what was working and what wasn't, and that was due in large part to a lack of goal.

Ironically I've almost started completely from scratch now after spending literally well over $10k on crap. High quality/expensive crap, but crap nonetheless. My two primary carbines now have Aimpoints, lights, and slings and I really find myself wondering why I ever added all that other crap to the original guns.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 12:36
Out of curiousity. What would possess you to put bipod for airsoft crap on a real firearm?

From shopping around I found that they sell the same UTG bipod that other sites sell, for about 30% cheaper. If you think UTG is crap then you don't own any of there products, or maybe you just think airsoft is crap I don't know, anyways I got a bipod (7"-10") for $24 vs other brands I figure that's a great buy no matter where I bought it. btw I used to own own a harris bipod for my sks, and I find them both to be adequate bipods.

I don't plan on keeping the bipod on all the time. I am waiting for spikes tactical to get flare launcher in, then I will be putting the bipod on when needed.

AirmanAtwood
03-05-09, 13:04
From shopping around I found that they sell the same UTG bipod that other sites sell, for about 30% cheaper. If you think UTG is crap then you don't own any of there products, or maybe you just think airsoft is crap I don't know, anyways I got a bipod (7"-10") for $24 vs other brands I figure that's a great buy no matter where I bought it. btw I used to own own a harris bipod for my sks, and I find them both to be adequate bipods.

I don't plan on keeping the bipod on all the time. I am waiting for spikes tactical to get flare launcher in, then I will be putting the bipod on when needed.

I have purchased UTG in the past....it is crap.

Iraqgunz
03-05-09, 13:12
Your right. I don't own any UTG products because they are crap. And yes I think that airsoft is crap also.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 13:14
So enlighten me, what makes them crap?

rob_s
03-05-09, 13:18
You're not going to find any supporters here of putting toy garbage on actual firearms.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 13:20
You're not going to find any supporters here of putting toy garbage on actual firearms.

Still waiting to hear what makes them garbage?
BTW I was never asking for your or anyones support, nor would I want it.

Iraqgunz
03-05-09, 13:33
Ok, I take it back. It's quality stuff. Buy away!

E53001
03-05-09, 13:39
for being a new member boasting about your bushy (LOL), you're already burning some bridges with some very well known and knowledgeable members here, BTW, airsoft is complete junk

spamsammich
03-05-09, 13:41
I installed the non FF UTG quad rails on two of my cousin's ARs and swore to never do that to an AR again. Utter garbage. Not the "upgrade" he had in mind and now he has to buy another rail because he hates it so much. Weak AND heavy, I don't know how they managed to pull that all off at the same time. You'd think a rail system that weighed that much would at least not flex when you squeezed it with your off hand. I wouldn't wish UTG parts on an enemy.

But if you like supporting chicom manufacturers peddling sub-standard trash, feel free. And certainly ignore sound advice when you specifically say,

Welcome back Zippygaloo

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 13:43
Ok, I take it back. It's quality stuff. Buy away!

Well witch is it? You are so quick to call my stuff garbage and junk, but you can't tell me why? I spend $1430 on a Bushmaster ar 15, and you think I have to spend $300 for a quad rail, or $200 for a bipod or $350 for a laser light combo?

You kids calling there stuff junk have probably never owned any of it. So what is the difference between UTG quad rail and MIDWEST INDUSTRIES quad rail for twice the money. Nothing. Both are aluminum and both function the same. Same as the other stuff I have bought and returned because I choose to spend money where it counts like the gun.

spamsammich
03-05-09, 13:46
Perhaps the advice you're looking for can be found on www.ar15.com?

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 13:46
for being a new member boasting about your bushy (LOL), you're already burning some bridges with some very well known and knowledgeable members here, BTW, airsoft is complete junk

Who the hell cares if I burn bridges, I'm not the one calling there stuff junk, I'm just pointing out how stupid you kids are. And I never bought any airsoft stuff, just from a website that sells air soft. man some of you kids are idiots. lol, burning bridges.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 13:53
This site is obviously full of insecure morons. I just happened to stumble on it when I was doing a search and thought I could have an intelligent conversation and help some people.

Believe me there are much better sites out there.

lol burning bridges and UTG is junk,lol. Like this place has ever done anything for me, hahahahahaha.

ohhh, kids. so much to learn.

Don't talk to me anymore, idiots .

AirmanAtwood
03-05-09, 13:54
Who the hell cares if I burn bridges, I'm not the one calling there stuff junk, I'm just pointing out how stupid you kids are. And I never bought any airsoft stuff, just from a website that sells air soft. man some of you kids are idiots. lol, burning bridges.

First, Most of us here are not "kids". Second, your coming off as a huge ignorant ass. Third, when you said UTG is the same quality as MI I laughed my ass and immediately knew you know nothing about firearms. Its like saying "oh man I'd take a hi-point over a glock any day". Do yourself a favor and shut up. Listen to what iraqgunz says. He knows what he's talking about. Same goes for Rob. They knows more about firearms than you. And from your attitude, you dont belong here. Go to ar15.com and shut up please.

AirmanAtwood
03-05-09, 13:55
This site is obviously full of insecure morons. I just happened to stumble on it when I was doing a search and thought I could have an intelligent conversation and help some people.

lol burning bridges and UTG is junk,lol. Like this place has ever done anything for me, hahahahahaha.

anyone else sense a member ban coming along?

Iraqgunz
03-05-09, 13:58
Yeah, I am an insecure moron. Obviously you have an issue and thin skin. This isn't TOS. We tend to call things the wat they are and not the way you would like them to to be. I happen to be a professional sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.

And yes, UTG is still crap.

bundoc
03-05-09, 14:06
Well I take a lot of what the knowledgeable guys around here say, form my own opinions....which basically means I end up agreeing with them because they know a lot more shit than I do.

Thanks to all the people that know what they are talking about, long live M4C!

Failure2Stop
03-05-09, 14:08
Well witch is it? You are so quick to call my stuff garbage and junk, but you can't tell me why? I spend $1430 on a Bushmaster ar 15, and you think I have to spend $300 for a quad rail, or $200 for a bipod or $350 for a laser light combo?

You kids calling there stuff junk have probably never owned any of it. So what is the difference between UTG quad rail and MIDWEST INDUSTRIES quad rail for twice the money. Nothing. Both are aluminum and both function the same. Same as the other stuff I have bought and returned because I choose to spend money where it counts like the gun.

Most members here prefer to recommend items that have demonstrated the ability to do their job over long periods of use in courses or in combat.

While we would not recommend anything you are holding up as bastions of efficiency you are free to buy whatever you like. The problem comes with their recommendation to others. Personal, first hand information about an item under realistic use is required to establish or maintain credibility.

There is no price-point for "quality", only use. Cost and value can be very different things- overpaying for a rifle or finding a deal on a quality piece of gear makes 0 impact on their performance.

Reading that others have a dim view of your choices can be a bit stinging, but paying attention to the reason, or conducting research as to why they are making those statements in a quest for truth can be worth far more than the monetary value of your current items. It is very easy to dismiss us as elitist or snobby and slink over to TOS to tell everybody how much we suck- but we recommend what we do for a very good reason.

And please refrain from calling us "kids"- most members here have extensive experience with the platform, and many members are cops, military personnel with combat experience, and SOCOM members that rely on these items and weapons to keep others alive.

I hope you are willing to learn.

ETA- just saw that you are now banned. Too bad. Pearls before swine I guess.

rob_s
03-05-09, 15:00
Still waiting to hear what makes them garbage?
BTW I was never asking for your or anyones support, nor would I want it.

One way or another, you won't last long here.

rob_s
03-05-09, 15:02

Think I found the problem. (http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=194801)

SHIVAN
03-05-09, 15:26
One mandatory vacation has been provided. However, I'd like to not see our solid long-term members instigating even more responses from the misguided who may join us from time to time.

Thanks for helping keep that sort of thing to a minimum in the future. :D

Rider
03-05-09, 15:30
Man oh man, I guess that attitude is what gives newcommers a bad name!
Im new too and but I am more then willing to take advice from those with more info and experience then I have in the subject at hand. Not everything needs a sugarcoat............

duece71
03-05-09, 16:19
Agreed, there is a lot of knowledge here and a lot to be learned. Thank you for all of the useful info!!

RogerinTPA
03-05-09, 22:08
I just recently bought an M4 Carbine over the weekend, 16 inch barrel removable carry handle, etc, etc. This is my first M4 that I have bought and I am in love with the gun. It is a Bushmaster XM15 that I bought from a private dealer. He had several of these new guns laying around and was willing to come off of one.

But anywho, I am looking for some good sites where I can order some accessories for my gun. I noticed that there are quite a few of you who know what you are talking about and can maybe help me out by pointing me to some decent vendors for accessories. I am looking to put some rails for the hand guard, and possibly a decent sight up top. If I do put some type of optics up top, I would like to have the opportunity to still use some type of iron sight if at all possible.

What do you plan on doing with it? Read the instruction manual thoroughly, several times in fact. Check out the "Knowledge Based Threads" if you haven't done so, and inspect your weapon accordingly. Before accessories, Ammo and Mags would be a first priority. A 500 round plus (in a day or weekend), break in period is in order (for you too, if it's your 1st AR) to see if your new purchase has any teething problems (QC issues), and to get familiar with it. Learn to use iron sights first, to proficiency, if you are not familiar with the AR platform. A good weapon light, a red dot sight, and tactical sling should be a good basic set up. A quad rail (If funds are available) is very nice option, but not necessary. Training will be the next priority. Magpul DVD "Art of the tactical carbine" will help in getting the drills down. Check out the picture thread to see what flavor of AR you wish to emulate. Lots of very cool neat wiz bang stuff there, but again, not necessary. Post some pics when you get er done. :)