PDA

View Full Version : Somebody tell me the actual need for this

Littlelebowski
03-04-09, 22:56
Carbon Removal tool for AR15s (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1676&HS=1)

m4fun
03-04-09, 23:10
Wow, finally the perfect replacement for the chopped up metal hanger, with flattrened end I use today to scape the inside of the BC.

Acutally this might be a another addition to the toolbox for the guy trying to reach cleaning nirvana.

Littlelebowski
03-04-09, 23:18
And it won't help reliability a bit. I don't clean mine anymore.

Failure2Stop
03-05-09, 04:45
The need-
to put $46 in the pocket of the seller.
Guaranteed to perpetuate the myth that a clean bolt tail does anything other than rob the user of time.

geminidglocker
03-05-09, 05:31
If it was like 3.99 I might try it. 45.99 is better spent on ammo.

seb5
03-05-09, 07:20
That is a lot for what I've been using 3 pieces of the military cleaning rod for years. I have considered the Mark Brown model from Brownells for about half of that for awhile. It's kinda funny but the only place it would help me is in dealing with the weapon nazis/Gunners Mates, not it the real deal at all.

Littlelebowski
03-05-09, 07:34
After I left the Corps, I stopped worrying about that Mickey Mouse bullshit. Doesn't do anything anyway.

austinN4
03-05-09, 07:53
If it was like 3.99 I might try it.
Save your $3.99 and simply ask your dental hygenist for a used dental pick for free.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 08:27
WTH? I am a little new to the ar family but what the hell is that?

Sierra 1
03-05-09, 08:32
Walmart has imposter dental picks cheap in the tool section if you have to clean those hard to reach places.......

Littlelebowski
03-05-09, 08:37
I don't see the point in scratching metal to remove carbon. I can always soak the bolt in Carbon Killer every few thousand rounds though the gun runs no different, clean or spotless. People are silly.

bushmasterbeast
03-05-09, 08:40
every couple hundred rounds I take it out and spray it with remingtons 2 in one. No problems yet.

Sierra 1
03-05-09, 08:48
Thousands of rounds through my gun without cleaning those hard to reach places on the BCG and no problems. When I do clean them I soak the entire BCG in solvent.

Loner
03-05-09, 09:00
How about this? http://www.catm4.com/index.html any use it?

Littlelebowski
03-05-09, 09:01
How about this? http://www.catm4.com/index.html any use it?

Nope. I'll bet the people "using it in the war on terrorism" only use when they're turning their rifles in before going home.

ra2bach
03-05-09, 09:06
Carbon Removal tool for AR15s (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1676&HS=1)

don't be a hater...

oops. forgot the winking smiley...

Littlelebowski
03-05-09, 09:06
I'm not. Just applying logic and experience.

exkc135driver
03-05-09, 11:35
It's a solution in search of a problem.

Hayduke
03-05-09, 11:45
i've wondered about the tail scraping thingys for a while myself. i'm picking up a MOACKS tool soon and am thinking the basic/lightweight model to keep in the kit that rides along to shoots and such rather than the big MOACKS II that also offers the scraping ability. i also just use the dental-style picks and solvent for the most part.

markm
03-05-09, 12:00
I get every spec of carbon out that I can on the guns I don't regularly shoot.

On my weekly shooter, I just keep the bolt tail, and carrier soaked with CLP and the carbon is in a constant state of softening. CLP soak makes carbon a lot easier to remove without scraping.

As far as metal scratching... I've used a stainless steel wire brush forever... and it's never even hurt the finish.. let alone the actual metal on the bolt tail.

scottryan
03-05-09, 12:02
All this will do is scratch your parts.

If you feel you need to scrape carbon, then use a sharp brass tool that is disposable.

The only time I scrap carbon out of a carrier or tail of a bolt is for long term storage (years) of a collectible part so it won't rust.

Other than that, you are wasting your time.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-05-09, 13:55
I got it from brownells before my last tour in IRAQ did not pay full price as I got the MIL discount. I think it is great to have after you have put 1000rds of blanks through your rifle in one day. I am real annal though and I have to have it spotless.

I will agree though that if your not using a lot of blanks or a suppressor there is not a need and a cleaning rod will work just as well for thouse of us that care that much.

markm
03-05-09, 14:12
I thought you were supposed to throw as many of those blanks away that you could (when no one was looking). ;)

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-05-09, 14:28
Beleive me I did I have 3000 rds in my basement. I use them to induce stopages in my soldiers weapons when we are at the range.

R Moran
03-05-09, 16:24
LB,
I'm with ya man, I've put well over 1000 rounds thru my gun w/ nothing more then adding lube. I cleaned it when I felt guilty.But,

Some of us have to deal with the weapon Nazis, even outside the military, and its their gun, so ya do what they want. I still don't do it as much as they want, or tell you its needed, and I tell everyone it has zero effect on the function of the weapon.

But, again, your dealin with years of ingrained stupidity, some don't have that much expieriance. I still hear shit like,
"why did they put all this lube on the gun, now its dirty"
" Everyone knows not to put any lube on the gun in the desert"
and my recent favorite..
" Don't mix the tw25 with Breakfree, it'll crystallize" whatever the f*** that means

oh and tw25 is LSA;)

This is the kinda stupid crap ya have to put up with, so sometimes its just easier to buy the f"in scraper tool and be done with it, pick your battles and all.

Bob

Beat Trash
03-05-09, 17:27
In years past, I used the firing pin to scrape the carbon from the inside of the bolt carrier group.

I stopped doing so now that I'm older, wiser, and most importantly, am using a gun and firing pin that I paid for, not one issued to me.

I found out by accident a couple of years ago that the back end of a chop stick (free ones that come with Chinese take out) makes a very effective scraping tool for the insi9de of the BCG. Wipe the area first with your favorite cleaner (Hoppies, ect), let it sit for a minute, then scrape away. The bamboo chopstick works great, and no worries about scrapping the metal.

I'm willing to sell my hi-tec bamboo scrappers at the low price of $19.95, plus shipping and handling. If interested...

RogerinTPA
03-05-09, 21:38
What a crock O'shit. A good Carbon cutter solution works, and so does a plain old screw driver for removing it from inside the BCG.

markm
03-06-09, 07:48
The bamboo chopstick works great, and no worries about scrapping the metal.

That's a good idea. But truthfully, Although I've backed off on my weekly shooter, I've been scraping the shit out of the inside of my carriers for years. Dental tools and everything.... I've NEVER come close to scratching that hard ass chrome in there.

Littlelebowski
03-06-09, 09:45
If it makes you sleep better at night. Kinda like detail cleaning a Glock with pipe cleaners and Q-tips.

Heavy Metal
03-06-09, 10:35
Parker Valve brass o-ring pick works wonders and is cheap.

STJ
03-06-09, 13:02
FYI,

The mouth of a 5.56 case is just the right dia to scrape the carbon off the bolt tail and the brass wont scratch the bolt.

Free carbon scraper every time you pull the trigger...

markm
03-06-09, 14:08
FYI,

The mouth of a 5.56 case is just the right dia to scrape the carbon off the bolt tail and the brass wont scratch the bolt.

Free carbon scraper every time you pull the trigger...

There is no scratching the bolt.

Has someone actually scratched a bolt? There'd have to be some serious negligence going on to accomplish this!

Robb Jensen
03-06-09, 14:17
If it makes you sleep better at night. Kinda like detail cleaning a Glock with pipe cleaners and Q-tips.

You would be amazed at the amount of gas carrier keys I've replaced because their owners had broken off a Q-tip inside of the key.

austinN4
03-06-09, 14:23
Parker Valve brass o-ring pick works wonders and is cheap.
That is actually what I use my dental picks for - to pick blown O-rings out of SCUBA valves.

Combat_Diver
03-06-09, 22:50
I've got one of those scrapers in a trade in Iraq. Give a new Russian 1976 dated laminated stocked AKM for it. Ah, the spoils of war in the early years.:)

CD

OldNavyGuy
03-07-09, 08:14
Somebody tell me the actual need for this

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/fieldsurvivor.jpg

in my OPINION this too is a "what IS the NEED for this item?"

just another bling-bling

Darkop
03-07-09, 12:10

I gotta agree with you here. After 22 years as a cop and firearms instructor I have put thousands upon thousands of rounds (I've lost count) through a couple of my Colts. After I retired I got myself an armorers kit and it had a BCG scraper in it. I laughed and it's still unused. Once in a while I use the back of my knife blade to quick scrape the tail of the bolts but thats it. I Have never seen a gun stop running because of carbon build up.......NEVER!!!! NEVER!!!! But I have seen guns stop running because people were afraid to lube them

Until that day,
Darkop

wargasm
03-07-09, 12:27
Some people have a whole lotta time wastin' time tellin' other people how not to waste their time and money!

theJanitor
03-07-09, 12:45
you're supposed to take the bolt out? lol, my ar's run like my truck. i don't change the oil in it anymore, when a quart gets by the rings, i add in another quart. every five quarts, it's like an oil change :D

98z28
03-07-09, 13:28
"The Combat Application Tools, Inc. C.A.T. M-4 Tool allows the operator to clean the weapon and restore the bolt and carrier group to tactical tolerance in a matter of minutes."

That sounds hot. I think I need it. I can't believe my weapons have not been in "tactical tolerance" all this time.

motoman
03-07-09, 17:05
great inginuity with that tool. overthinking something is my opinion. i take the head of a small screwdriver or similar and scrape if off and it costs me $0. maybe im crazy.

MarineSniper8541
03-07-09, 18:27
At the Colt armorer's course they taught us that if you let that part of the carrier go uncleaned for too long, that it is one of the primary culprits for bolt lugs sheering off. The bolt can't go as far to the rear as it should for lock up and it puts much higher strain on the lugs.

So yea, clean that place once in a while to prevent giant globs of carbon from building up. That tool makes it all of a 30 second undertaking.

markm
03-07-09, 19:40
At the Colt armorer's course they taught us that if you let that part of the carrier go uncleaned for too long, that it is one of the primary culprits for bolt lugs sheering off. The bolt can't go as far to the rear as it should for lock up and it puts much higher strain on the lugs.

I love it. :cool: