PDA

View Full Version : Process Training Vs. End Point Training

WillBrink
03-05-09, 09:10
Process Training Vs. End Point Training

The title of this thread is not actually a type of training, but a personality type. People who train only to achieve an endpoint I refer to as “Endpoint Trainers” and those who integrate and internalize the process of training into their life, I call Process Trainers. The endpoint Trainer is always focused on the endpoint, and views the process of training as just a means to an end to achieve that end point/goal.

Perfect example of that is the person who is training to hit a specific goal of losing 30lbs, and once they achieve that goal, stop training. People who enter a weight loss contest at work or at the gym, achieve that goal, then stop exercising. This phenomena is not limited to weight loss by any means. We see it a lot with high level athletes at the college and professional levels. Once they stop playing the sport, they stop exercising altogether. I have seen this way too many times to count.

This personality type gets so focused on achieving the end point, seeing the training as simply the means to an end - vs. an integral part of their life - once they reach the endpoint, or worse, fail to reach it when they think they should, they quit. I know many bodybuilders for example who, if they don’t have a specific show to train for, they lose all motivation to workout. I know figure and fitness competitors who are also just like that: if they don’t have a show to diet and train for, they lose all motivation to train at all. No show, no motivation, so they are continuously getting ready for next years show…

Now, The Process Trainer views the very process of training as an important and integrated part of their life. They take pleasure in the process, and don’t need a specific endpoint to motivate them to exercise. Of course they enjoy the results of that training, and strive to reach various endpoints/goals of personal value (e.g., gaining X lbs of muscle, or a personal best at a powerlifting meet, or dropping bodyfat, etc.) but they don’t require a specific endpoint to happen by a specific time to stay motivated. The training itself is its own reward. They know they will have good days, they know they will have bad days, they know life has a habit of throwing a monkey wrench into our grand plans, and they find a way to work with it, around it, or through it, but they don’t quit.

I find Endpoint Trainers to be temporary trainers, as you can’t play sports forever, you can’t gain muscle and strength forever, and you can’t lose weight or compete in bodybuilding or figure forever. It comes to an end, due to age, injuries, or just life, and they quit training. I find they become easily discouraged if things don’t go exactly according to plan as they expect it to. They have never truly come to realize the process is part of the journey and the enjoyment.

The Process Trainer realizes there will be set backs, plateaus, road blocks, and various other realities of life that will conspire to make it difficult to get to the gym, or the track, or the pool, or what ever, but they carry on. Process Trainers don’t like missing time from their training anymore then the next person, but they don’t sweat it either, because they see the long term process, and know year in and year out, they will be there… Process Trainers set goals, achieve them, and move on. More importantly, Process Trainers realize not all goals will be met at the time they expected, but they know they will be back another day to try it again.

The Endpoint Trainer, who sees training as a means to an end vs. part of the benefits of being alive, and enjoying the process, will get frustrated when a goal is not met at exactly the time they planned it, in the way they planned it, and quit. Or, as mentioned above, will reach a specific goal (endpoint), and either find a new goal/endpoint to fixate on, or simply stop training.

The Process Trainer is a life long trainer, who can and will deal with the good and the bad; The Endpoint Trainer, by definition, is not a life long trainer. So look in the mirror and be honest with yourself, are you an Endpoint Trainer or a Process Trainer? If the former, you need to make a paradigm shift in your approach to life long health and fitness, or you will not have life long health and fitness…

See you in the gym!

WS6
03-21-09, 21:55
Ah...here is my problem. I am an end-point trainer.

BUT!

When I lose those 5# of fat, or add that 5# to my bench, or gain that 1/2" on my arms...I want MORE! The "end point" is forever progressing! What you describe above is fad vs. lifestyle, and I see it all the time too. Usually they have a bounce-back and end up worse off than ever. Right on! (PS. I am sorry if I have brought a lot of these back from the dead, but I just discovered this section and am excited about it and since there is only 1 page, I have not bumped relatively new posts into obscurity or anything.)