PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol Question

Dave L.
03-05-09, 14:18
Can a standard stripped AR Lower be registered as a pistol? If not, who sells specific pistol lowers (stripped preferred).

TIA,
Dave

Ridge_Runner_5
03-06-09, 01:47
Unless it says pistol on the side, no-go there...a few make Pistol-only lowers, Spikes I know does...

automan
03-06-09, 06:13
Honestly, other than a conversation piece at the range, what good is an AR pistol?

Dave L.
03-06-09, 07:26
Honestly, other than a conversation piece at the range, what good is an AR pistol?

To legally possess a short barrel for an AR in a state that does not allow SBR's....(that's all I can think of).

markm
03-06-09, 07:43
To legally possess a short barrel for an AR in a state that does not allow SBR's....(that's all I can think of).

Move to AZ.

larry0071
03-06-09, 07:48
Unless it says pistol on the side, no-go there...a few make Pistol-only lowers, Spikes I know does...

I do not believe you are correct there.

If the lower is a stripped lower and never made into a rifle or pistol.... you can choose your own adventure from this point. You may go pistol or you may go rifle, it is upto you because the lower is not yet decided on its future.

If your stripped lower had ever been built as a rifle it can NEVER be converted to a pistol without violating federal law and landing you in big trouble.

I think it was also stated that once the stripped lower is assembled as a pistol it may NEVER be changed to a rifle.

I would not say that I am 100% sure on this, but I expect someone else will chime in.

I think this was covered on the www.PAFOA.com site and determined to be as I stated.

Dave L.
03-06-09, 08:09
Move to AZ.

I miss AZ...don't rub it in. By the way, we should swap 10-digit grids for E&E purposes when "they" come for us ;) .

markm
03-06-09, 08:13
They're just going to hit my house with a couple of 105s right off the bat. It's a shame too... I just put a new roof on the joint! :p

Dave L.
03-06-09, 08:18
They're just going to hit my house with a couple of 105s right off the bat. It's a shame too... I just put a new roof on the joint! :p

Not if you put solar panels on the roof to disguise it as a hippie lair. I heard that's what they did in Waziristan

markm
03-06-09, 08:19
Good point. There's some chatter about this solar program amongst the neighbors.

LonghunterCO
03-06-09, 12:42
On TOS there are a couple topics that quickly bring out multi-post bitching like this one. The posts above are correct in that if it has never been a rifle then you can make it into a pistol. The points of discussion/debate revolve around: can you "prove" it has never been a rifle (especially if you are not it's first owner). Then the next item of debate is what abou if it was manuf. as a rifle and then transfreed to you as a rifle and you now decide that it is a "pistol". Is that cool? (this is probably less of an issue now that "stripped receiver" is a choice on the transfer)
Here is my $0.02 for iron no issues (well as less problems as it gets with the BTAFE). Find a receiver that was manuf as a "Pistol", most of them are etched/engraved/marked as such, and then get it transfered to you as a pistol (now that is stripped receiver).
I don't know if you have gotten this far into this thought process on this purchase, but the next "major issue of discussion/debate" is what do you use as a buffer tube assemble? Some use a standard CAR receiver extention and cover it with paracord to make it " not be able to accept a stock". Do what you want, but I would recomend going with a pistol receiver extention (ACE or Spikes) that has a larger than standard diameter and can not accept a standard stock.
Then using a railed forarm on a weapon that "can not be able to accept a foward grip".....

Dave L.
03-06-09, 13:29
Longhunter,

I found the same info as you. Rather than play with BATFE fire, I ordered a Spikes Pistol Lower today (marked Multi-cal "Pistol").
It was only $179.00.
I also ordered the ACE pistol kit for $55, I have the rest of the stuff minus the barreled upper.

I don't want it to be even a question. I have seen guys many times take unregistered SBRs to public ranges; I've never witnessed any of them get questioned on the spot by an LEO, but I don't want to be the first.

LonghunterCO
03-06-09, 15:28
Longhunter,

I found the same info as you. Rather than play with BATFE fire, I ordered a Spikes Pistol Lower today (marked Multi-cal "Pistol").
It was only $179.00.
I also ordered the ACE pistol kit for $55, I have the rest of the stuff minus the barreled upper.

I don't want it to be even a question. I have seen guys many times take unregistered SBRs to public ranges; I've never witnessed any of them get questioned on the spot by an LEO, but I don't want to be the first.

Agreed. I am running a Anvil Arms Multi marked Pistol lower with Spikes buffer.