PDA

View Full Version : Foxfire Books

Nathan_Bell
03-05-09, 16:19
Not certain if this is the right place for this or not, if it isn't have at it KL

If you live in the temperate zone of the US, these books are tough to beat for the lore and information that they contain.

You want to know how to make soap?
You want to know how to make a log cabin?
You want to know how to make a mallet?

Hell, not going to do that for all the subjects covered. If you want to read of most of the skills needed to live at a 1880's level of survival these books, these books are a great starting place.

lovetashoot
03-06-09, 08:04
When I was growing up-my grandparents lived on a farm and had a set of the Foxfire books. I really enjoyed them. They are filled with a wealth of practical information. BTW, you forget hog skinning and moonshine making.

PT Doc
03-06-09, 17:14
I work in that area and pass the Foxfire museum daily. It's a great preservation of the Appalachian heritage and the books are a fantastic resource. Many of my elderly patients still live that way to varying degrees. Nothing like having a sweet little old lady bring you homemade strawberry preserves one week and a quart sized Mason jar of corn squeezins' the next.:D

Nathan_Bell
03-06-09, 19:56
When I was growing up-my grandparents lived on a farm and had a set of the Foxfire books. I really enjoyed them. They are filled with a wealth of practical information. BTW, you forget hog skinning and moonshine making.

and that is just in the first book :D

Deoje
03-07-09, 03:41
I've got books 1 through 4. How many of them are there total?

HowardCohodas
03-07-09, 06:58
I've got books 1 through 4. How many of them are there total?

I found 12 numbered ones. And a bunch more.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Eliot+Wigginton&title=foxfire&lang=en&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

K.L. Davis
03-07-09, 08:09
There are 12...

The Foxfire Book, 1972
Foxfire 2, 1973
Foxfire 3, 1975
Foxfire 4, 1977
Foxfire 5, 1979
Foxfire 6, 1980
Foxfire 7, 1982
Foxfire 8, 1984
Foxfire 9, 1986
Foxfire 10, 1993
Foxfire 11, 1999
Foxfire 12, 2004
The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land, 2006

You can get them from places like Amazon, or purchase the Complete Set (http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx) directly from the Foxfire Website.

Avenger29
03-09-09, 23:32
If you are seriously into survival, you need this set in your library, plus they make for plain good ol' reading. All 12 books, plus the 40th anniversy book, will run you about $155 from Amazon.

boltcatch
03-15-09, 15:38
My grandmother gave me her set (1-6 plus the anniversary book) last year because she knew I was into that sort of thing. Anyone interested in the topic needs to aquire a set.

Striker5
06-06-10, 12:01
I read them as a kid - them stories about howling painters, haints and boogers were scaaaarry. You know you have a truly thorough survival guide when it has a section on ghost stories.

Mark/MO
06-06-10, 17:04
Like Striker5 I too read them as a kid. I found them facinating. They are on my "someday" list of things to buy.

One time thinking I knew something they didn't I brought up some topics from the books with my grandparents. Suprise, they not only knew about it but had "been there, done that" in many instances. They are long gone now. I wish I had paid better attention when they were here. A lot of info died with them.

mikeross506
09-15-10, 18:09
I work in that area and pass the Foxfire museum daily. It's a great preservation of the Appalachian heritage and the books are a fantastic resource. Many of my elderly patients still live that way to varying degrees. Nothing like having a sweet little old lady bring you homemade strawberry preserves one week and a quart sized Mason jar of corn squeezins' the next.:D

Where exactly is the memorial?

PT Doc
09-16-10, 13:26
Where exactly is the memorial?

http://www.foxfire.org/museum.html

Redneck19
09-16-10, 15:17
The books are great. There's a group of school kids today who would benefit from the wisdom of their elders just like that bunch did.
The snake stories are some of my favorites!

theRedSkull
09-24-10, 18:23
i was introduced to these books by an ex-girlfriend, they are a great set of reference material.

platoonDaddy
09-24-10, 18:35
Received 1-10 when I was an Explorer leader, great reference.

Will certainly attempt to purchase 11-12