PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a LEO

NoBody
03-06-09, 05:39
Deleted.

automan
03-06-09, 06:12
My father was a reserve deputy in his younger days. They weren't called out that often, usually for extra manpower the sheriff needed like manhunts or extensive roadblocks looking for suspects.

NoBody
03-06-09, 06:55
Deleted.

markm
03-06-09, 08:23
Out here you have to go through an academy for the Sheriff's office and meet the same POST standards as any other sworn officer.

It's a commitment for sure.

NoBody
03-06-09, 09:29
Deleted.

markm
03-06-09, 09:39
I don't know. My broad isn't like that.

I think once you start practicing your handcuffing techniques on her she'll get over it.

Just tell her to get off your ass or you won't uncuff her. :D

nighthawk756
03-06-09, 10:06
There's always going to be What if scenarios. That will never change.

My wife is good with it. She just doesn't think about it. The more time you put in, the easier it gets for them I think. Once they see you go out and come home unscathed a few times it gets better.

NoBody
03-06-09, 10:10
Deleted.

Army Chief
03-06-09, 11:16
Actually, I sort of worked the same pattern in reverse: I worked as a part-time municipal LEO before going on active duty. That was 20+ years ago now, but in reality, there were many similarities between the two, and a few reserve shifts here and there would probably go a long way toward making you feel connected to the part of you that seems to be missing at the moment.

What you tell the wife is almost entirely dependant upon where you're working, and what sort of area you'll be in, since the threat levels vary; that said, I would stick with the same line I've always used, whether jumping out of planes, flying helicopters, driving on the track or any of the other "risky" things I've done: "honey, I pay very close attention to what I'm doing, I'm on a good team, I know the risks, and I will do whatever it takes to stay on top of my game."

The risks aren't new: they are just a bit different. If you were adept at managing them before, there isn't any reason why that same approach wouldn't serve you well now.

AC

ZDL
03-06-09, 13:35
Our reserves are no different than the full timers. They go through the same academy, same in-service, same badge, same powers, same duties. They just work for free... whenever they want.

We have guys all the time transfer to the reserve unit because they found a better paying job but want to stay in LE. It's a good unit.

We've had swat guys in the reserve unit.

Talking to your wife: I tell mine "Everything I can be trained for, I am trained for. Ambushes happen and there isn't much you can do about. They can happen to anyone. The only difference is I have a couple hundred other guys in the same uniform there to back me up if it happens".

That and she loves the uniform. :cool: Good luck. I like reserves.

I'll say this though. You said you are looking for a family. In my particular case, the "family" of LE is limited to 1 or 2 people you connect with on the road. Beyond that, the only time the big "family" is activated is when you get hurt. That may seem fine to some but it was a shocker to me my first time out. Our guys need their jobs and will keep them no matter what in most cases. Even if that means looking the other way while an injustice is coming down the pipe at you. Or refusing to speak up when someone wearing stripes and brass is dangerously wrong. I'm not talking bad about our guys at all. They are great LEO's and great men.. They simply are in-between a rock and a hard place concerning values and providing for their family. The politics of LE, in my case, will get you blacklisted in a f-ing heart beat. FF on the other hand. They seem very tight. I've thought about dropping to reserves and starting fire college. I love LE work. I love the road. The politics however, especially in my case, are getting to be too much.

CarlosDJackal
03-06-09, 14:33
I've been a Reserve Deputy for almost 9-years now and what I have found is that anyone who is willing to do this line of work falls under three possible categories:

(1) Those who do it out of a sense of Community Service.

(2) Those who are trying to break into the Law Enforcement field and are taking advantage of the opportunity to gain some experience, prove themselves, and/or determine if they like it.

(3) Those who do it for the "cool factor" and because they like the "power" that comes with having a badge.

Those that fall into the first two categories are usually okay to work with. What you want to watch out for are the ones who fit the third. While they are no different than any other brown-nosing moron who thinks that they are the be-all and end-all in whatever field they might get into; these are the guys that give the rest of us a bad name. In some instance, they get themselves and others hurt or killed.

These are not much different for the full-time LEOs with the exception of a fourth category: Those who are in it for pay check.

Has it been worth it? For the most part, yes. I truly enjoy dealing with the public even no matter what the situation. I actually like dealing with the problems that this C-minus world likes to throw at me. It keeps me on my toes and keeps me humble and honest. Besides, nothing gives you so much satisfaction as receiving a call from someone who you ejected from a concert or a Football game; or hearing from the parents of a kid who you chewed out for doing something stupid, thanking you for your how you handled the situation and apologizing for how they acted.

Would I recommend doing it? To some, but not all. It's not for everyone because if it were, there would not be a shortage of sworn Officers and there would not be a need for Volunteers.

I have actually tried to resign multiple times for various reasons only to be refused (by two different Sheriffs). I've risen up the ranks and eventually, resigned my rank. 20-hours a month may not sound like much, but it does take its toll. That's 20-hours a month that you will not be able to spend with your family, go to the range :D, or to just do what you want. You must be ready to make a lot of sacrifices for mostly no pay (we sometimes get paid assignments).

You must also remember that as an LEO, you might find yourself having to give up some time to come to court and testify at a trial (or worse, be a Defendant because you dared to cuff some poor, misguided person). You will suffer the abuse that comes with the badge. I've been called all sorts of names and have had a lot of experience playing "Frogger" for real while trying to direct traffic (I've only been hit once by some old geezer's side mirror). People of all colors, shapes, sizes, and ages; and under all sorts of instances.

Whether you like it or not the full-timers WILL treat you very differently. They might say that you have the same exact authority and responsibilities as a they do. But the reality is you're a different animal and in most agencies fall under a different SOP. I know of an agency that does not allow their Reservists to carry a handgun (on and off-duty) and another that will not allow their Reserve Officers to carry under the badge while off-duty.

If there is one thing I can tell people who are looking to become Reserve LEOs; do the rest of us a favor, if you're doing it for the wrong reasons, don't bother. I would rather direct traffic on a 6-lane highway or enter an Active Shooter situation by myself than to be "backed-up" by someone who I do not and cannot trust. YMMV.

CopDr
03-06-09, 20:28
Nobody,
I bet you will find the work exciting and make a few new friends. I am a retired police officer and now work as a shrink who works with military/police. I am glad you are doing your best to put your wife's mind at ease before you pursue this. Cops have a lot of marriage problems, so get things right with your wife before you take the first step. There is a book called (I Love a Cop) that may be good for your wife to read. Reasure her about all the training you will receive and how careful you have always been. Cops suffer more from the political departmental B.S. then traumatic events. The politics screw up more good cops than anything else. Good luck!

NoBody
03-06-09, 20:52
Deleted.

Decon
03-06-09, 21:38
Nobody,

I don't believe there's much that you can say that will make a difference until you've been on the street and she gets use to it. Hopefully, she gets use to it. But if you really need something to say. I would start with saying, "Hey, atleast I'm not doing this full-time!", but seriously all that really matters is a, "I love you" on your way to the job.

HwyKnight
03-06-09, 21:55
Nobody,

Have you considered what benefits will be available to you if you get hurt of killed in the line of duty? Since this is a volunteer position, are there any workers comp, or death benefits? Will your current life insurance or employer provide benefits if you are hurt or killed while providing volunteer police services? Not to be Mr. Killjoy here, but you might want to look into these issues as part of your decision making process. If there is no coverage, would the sense of belonging be worth the risk of leaving your family in dire straits? As a LEO I can tell you it makes things much easier knowing that if something happens to me, my family is well taken care of.

bkb0000
03-06-09, 22:02
aren't reserves generally blissfully shielded from most of the "politics?"

having decided not to attempt a career in LE in large part because of the drama so many cops seem to get wrapped up in, i'd considered going reserve.. always seemed like a good way to get your God points in without having to submit your life to bullshit and the gaping assholes that drop it

Army Chief
03-07-09, 01:48
Carlos is on-point as usual.

There will always be a cut-line between the regulars and the reserves, but some of this depends upon where you're serving, and in what capacity. It also has a lot to do with who you are, and how you present yourself. If you're a stand-up guy with a professional attitude that is (a) reliable and (b) willing to pull some of the less glamorous shifts that the full-timers would prefer not to, you can actually gain a pretty high level of acceptance. It's the guys that don't seem to know their place that really wind up at odds with the regular rank-and-file.

In my case, we had a half-dozen part-time officers that often worked a near full-time schedule (I was one of them), but these were regular paid positions and there was no overt external distinction made between the full- and part-time officers. Everyone in the squad room obviously knew who was who, but that was transparent to the man on the street, since we were identically equipped and often working similar schedules. It was a matter of good economics for the town, of course, since the PT crew didn't tap into any benefits programs.

Our reserve program consisted of a list of reliable citizens with relevant experience (i.e. vets, retired LEOs) that could be called upon to volunteer in a posse type of situation, but none were sworn officers, nor was there any compensation plan in place as best I can recall. I only ever saw this exercised once, during a post-homicide manhunt.

However it works out, Don, I know this much: it is worth doing.

AC

NoBody
03-07-09, 05:12
Deleted.

ZDL
03-07-09, 08:49
I guess we are different. We don't, on the road, differentiate between the 2. Mainly because we don't know unless they tell us. Own cars, same training, etc. The brass..... who knows. I know they catch shit, maybe not as much as full timers but they aren't immune to the politics by any means. You would think they would be..... but they aren't.

Good luck in whatever. It's a commitment to be sure.

NoBody
03-07-09, 08:55
Deleted.

CarlosDJackal
03-07-09, 10:20
For anyone who is considering becoming a Reserve Officer, there are a couple of things I recommend that you seriously look into. These differ between agencies and jurisdictions:

(1) Will they cover any medical expenses for LOD injuries? If so, how much? You might have to use your medical insurance from your regular job as a suppliment - wis this allowed? In some cases, you may have to buy into any additional medical or personal injury insurance because the jurisdiction will not budget any such coverage for "mere volunteers". The PBA is a good source of this type of additional cover.

(2) Are you going to be able to handle an lost wages due to LOD injuries?

(3) Are you covered from any legal liability whileon duty (as long as you do your duty within SOP)?

(4) What are the initial expenses that you will have to incur? Until recently, I've had to pay for everything I used on duty. The only item I have not had to pay for so far is the traffic vest and a long-sleeved khaki shirt. I've even had to buy my own radio (which is no longer in use since we switched to the 800 mHz system).

(5) Will you be able to carry a handgun under the badge? This has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment orbeing able to carry anywhere and everything to do with Officer Safety. Even as a Volunteer I have run across at least a half-dozen felons who I have had dealings with on duty while off-duty. If you are serving your local community, the chances of this occuring is very good.

IN ADDITION:
Any politics within the office will and does affect you in some manner. My suggestion is that you establish yourself as a stand-up guy and maintain your Intergrity no matter what. In the 8-plus years I have been with this agency, I have butted heads with the different "good ol' boy networks" at different times.

A couple of those whose individuals who I have had words with have even called for my resignation. People don't like to be called out when they are doing something wrong and most of them will respond very negatively. If you have proven yourself to be a highly reliable and ethical person, these types of actions will rarely hold any water.

Whichever route you take, I wish you much luck. Just keep in mind why you are doing it in the first place and it should help you get through the crappy days. :D

bpd315
03-07-09, 10:23
Down here (Florida), there are no more "reserve" standards. Every LEO must be certified by the state. So most "reserve" officers are either retired, or LEO's who worked a period of time and then moved on to something else. "Reserve" status lets you keep your state certification as you receive the manditory retraining like a full time LEO. With that in mind, it would be a big commitment without the pay. I know you are not doing it for the money, and i understand and congradulate you on that. It's just alot of cost outlay with no return.

I plan on staying reserve when I retire, in a short 6 years. You are able to work "when you can" as opposed to being scheduled.

IMHO, it's a worthwhile endevor as long as you are aware of the cost outlay of not being certified as a full time LEO from the start.

Also, this changes from state to state. There seems to be no "standard." you're milage may vary.

Good Luck. Red

NoBody
03-07-09, 10:33
Deleted.

Decon
03-07-09, 10:38
Yes, I understand your wife's what if's. I believe it was well covered by others in this thread. I will add that I will sometimes function in a reserve fashion with other smaller LE and EMS departments, and even though I am covered by worker's comp, I do carry an accident supplement through AFLAC.

HolyRoller
03-08-09, 21:25
I went from reserve deputy to full time deputy to part time police officer.

Did a lot of criminal defense in my early legal days, got tired of the 8 million versions of "I didn't do NOTHIN," after 9/11 knew I would feel much better in any uniform, did basic law enforcement training in 2005 after failing it in 2004 just because I was so out of shape, and very very glad I did it and knowing what I know now, would have done it looooong ago. Reserves in this state have to go to the same training as everybody else, but once you're on the force, you're in the same uniform as everybody else.

It took two years of reserve deputy service before they finally (1) believed that yes I really did want to do this full time and would work my law practice around it and (2) the county commissioners funded some more slots. Then after three months the State Bar advised me of a law that prevented deputy sheriffs from privately practicing law. The Sheriff himself went and pulled strings on my behalf, to no avail. I had to go be a municipal officer, part time, actually seasonal, in a resort town where the happening time is May to August.

I'd go back to being a reserve deputy in a minute, given the chance. Since we have a big county with four (now five) deputies per shift to cover it all, they were glad of the company when I was there. Also it helps to have a humble attitude that you'll be a rookie for many years if you're not full time, and you'll get to do a lot of the junior deputy stuff, like picked to go in a singlewide to help lift out a three-day-dead body. You get respect by doing your thing without complaining, and you also get respect if you shoot well at qualification. People still say they miss me, and that means a whole, whole lot.

At least in this state, you have to keep up the same in-service, and serve at least 96 hours a year. You will likely have to provide your own hardware, but that means you get to pick the most suitable for you. I'm the only officer I know of that gets to carry a 1911. Just bought qual ammo today, and was glad to get it at any price.

So NoBody, I think I can tell from your posts that you should do it if you at all can. I'm spouse-free and child-free so I get to do whatever I want, haaaa!