PDA

View Full Version : EOTECH 516/556 MODELS?

jsbcody
03-06-09, 19:00
Anyone have or used the EoTech 516 or 556 models? If so, how did/do you like them? What is the current opinion on EoTechs, in particular these models? thanks in advance for responding.

Artos
03-09-09, 11:10
I am looking at the 516 too cody....the range officer with the local pd is a buddy of mine & only eotech I have any extended time with is the 551 on their issued m4's. I like the compactness, but think I'll prefer a raised base and side buttons better, not to mention batt life over the N's.

I don't think I'll ever get into the night vision so will probably save the $$$ on the 516 vs. the 556.

Covert B
03-14-09, 20:14
I just purchased the 556 after I got tired of waiting for the back-ordered 516. Really don't need the night vision, but what the hell....I have been patient with various back-ordered parts for 3 months now and I wanted the icing on top of my cake NOW.

I really like it for it's compactness, sighting system, batteries, which also are of the type I use in my flashlight. So it made sense to me. I mounts fine on the flat-top and has a slight rise to it so it can be mounted forward of the receiver top. It co-witnesses with my sights on the lower third of the screen. Many brightness settings and a choice of 4 hour or 8 hour auto shut down. Easy to zero in. With a 1,000 hours of battery life, you really can't go wrong. Besides, I carry six 123 batteries in my butt stock and 3 more in my vertical grip. I can see forever! :p

snellkid
03-24-09, 16:42
I bought a Eotech 516 a few weeks ago on E-bay, fair price, I bought a 516 for all the reasons Covert-B stated in his reply, I'm using an MI (Midwest Indus) low profile BUIS. All of this is mounted on a Rock River Tactical Elite, I just can't say enough for the whole set up, fast target aquisition and dead on , the 516 helps my tired old eyes engage multiple targets much quicker than iron sights, and the side buttons are convenient also.

Highway 55
03-25-09, 02:14
I mounts fine on the flat-top and has a slight rise to it so it can be mounted forward of the receiver top.

This statement is partially true. If you have CAR handguards or a rail the 516's battery compartment will clear it. My 516 will not clear BCM M4 handguards, I have heard others complain of this as well.

Don't get me wrong, the 516/556 sights are nice. They have a great reticule, co-witness lower 1/3rd. But, I am going to have to sell mine simply because the battery compartment doesn't clear my handguards.