PDA

View Full Version : CCI PRIMERS...where can I buy???

HTTTRH
03-06-09, 19:20
I cannot find these things anywhere, anyone know where I can find and buy???

I am reloading 223 for my AR15, and I need small rifle primers, correct? THanks

MarshallDodge
03-06-09, 20:21
You need small rifle primers but they don't have to be CCI.

I use Winchester and Federal primers with great success. The problem is that primers are scarcer than hen's teeth right now, no matter what brand it is.

HTTTRH
03-06-09, 21:15
You need small rifle primers but they don't have to be CCI.

I use Winchester and Federal primers with great success. The problem is that primers are scarcer than hen's teeth right now, no matter what brand it is.

This sucks, thanks

MarshallDodge
03-06-09, 21:30
This sucks, thanks

It does but don't give up hope just yet. Check around at your local shops to see what they have.

If you don't have any luck there try www.wideners.com, www.midwayusa.com, or www.powdervalleyinc.com

Last I checked they were out of stock but they will accept backorders.

LonghunterCO
03-06-09, 21:34
I have a friend new to rifle re-loading and he was asking what was the best primers to get...I told him the best is what ever is in stock.

MarshallDodge
03-06-09, 22:00
I have a friend new to rifle re-loading and he was asking what was the best primers to get...I told him the best is what ever is in stock.

Agreed. I have a good stock of primers but I picked up some Magtech primers while at the gun shop the other day. I am going to give them a try, just in case I can't get the usual stuff. I have heard positive things about Magtech but I am going to try them out myself before recommending them.

sandpacker21
03-06-09, 22:02
Powder Valley shows sold out but they have them in stock as of 3-6-09.. Call them! They are also running 8 days behind. Also Cabelas has them but online there showing out of stock also call them also..... Check Natchez Shooters supply .
Dont overlook Wolf primers they work great in my pistol.... And yes to load a 223 you will have to have small rifle primers...

chadbag
03-07-09, 05:47
Some people have problems with CCI primers in the Dillon system so if running a Dillon they would be your last choice (if you have a choice). Having said that, I use CCI in my Dillon press. They seem to be OK but many people have occasional problems with them seating correctly and not smashing...

markm
03-07-09, 09:10
As everyone has stated, use whatever you can get. I use REM, WIN, and CCI interchangeably... And when my Wideners order shows up I'll be using WOLF too.

Vic303
03-07-09, 11:57
Powder Valley shows sold out but they have them in stock as of 3-6-09.. Call them!

I just did, and they don't. Lady said they had none yesterday too. I'm already on their backorder list...

HTTTRH
03-07-09, 17:14
What are the cci "Magnum" small rifle primers?

losbronces
03-07-09, 19:20

Its a primer with a higher ignition temperature. In my opinion, they are not needed for the 223, but they will work. Take care in working up loads with these primers (don't go right to a maximum load that have tested with small rifle primers) as the higher ignition temperature can lead to higher chamber pressure.

Also, never use small pistol primers in the 223. These primers can be punctured more easily by the firing pin set-up in an AR.

After reading some of this thread, I was worried that someone might substitute pistol primers for rifle primers.

markm
03-07-09, 19:32
Primers will catch up. They always do.

jasonb
03-10-09, 18:54
I bought CCI's at Gander Mountain. They weren't the best deal around, but they will price match any of the internet suppliers if you print out their ad.

gyp_c2
03-14-09, 09:16
...well, since I actually have some they are my new go-to primers for 5.56...
Started Hornady 75 BTHP @ 22.5gr TAC
LC cases, inspected, and loaded to an OAL that allows feeding from good magazines I'm very very careful with work-up loads and suggest prudence if yer' new to this...
...accurate in my carbeans...YMMV and for petes' sake don't blow yerself up and blame it on that load...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

Ttwwaack
03-19-09, 20:33
The story is, Federal and Winchester have domestic and forgien contracts that are taking all of their production. CCI just put on a third shift but it looks like it's going to be tough for the next 12-16 months. The U.S. Shooting Sports Industry is taking it in the shorts again. (BOHICA)

Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I got caught short on SP and LP primers. I just heard some fellow came down into Oregon from SEATAC stopping at every Buy Mart buying them up. Supposedly he went all the way to the OR/CA Border stopping at every store.

Ttwwaack
03-19-09, 20:48
Duplicate

stanlyonjr
03-20-09, 23:36
From what I understand the Gov is buying up all the primer contract to keep them out of the hands of reloader. They were talking about this topic on the local radio morning show earlier this week. One of the host called CCI and there backlog because of Gov. contracts is years long. Yes years. The Gov is basically telling them if they don't give them the contracts they loose all rights for future contracts. Thats how there trying to control guns IMO. I think they know those of you that reload will start squirling away parts. Who knows, barry's admin. is such a soup sandwich it might go away in 6 month.

markm
03-21-09, 12:24
From what I understand the Gov is buying up all the primer contract to keep them out of the hands of reloader.

:rolleyes:

ARFCOM is that way =====>

Alaskapopo
03-23-09, 02:50
:rolleyes:

ARFCOM is that way =====>
+1
That post was just a little too far out there in tin foil hat land for me to take seriously.
Pat

panzerr
03-23-09, 04:40
My reloading buddy and I tried a run of ten thousand CCI primers through a Dillon xl650. We found them to be a tad on the large size and irregularly shaped leading to enough problems in the priming stage for us to look for an alternative....switched to winchester and have had far less problems than in the previous then thousand.

KellyTTE
03-23-09, 09:08
Another suggestion is Wolf primers. Tim and I have run thousands of them in classes, training, competition (him) and practice without issue and the price is right as well.

RE: Magnum primers

There are several differences between regular and magnum primers besides brisance (explosive energy). Magnum primers are designed to ignite a large amount of slow burning power and (allegedly) have different cup properties to keep the magnum powder charge from rupturing the primer, which would allow superheated gases to escape (they sure look the damn same to me though). Generally speaking if you switch from regular to magnum primers you should work up a new load. CCI says to drop 5% and go from there.

I have two different Varget loads for .223 that I use, 24.5gr with a magnum primer and 26gr with a standard primer and its worked really well and allows me to load a fairly comparable load depending on which primers I can find.

MarshallDodge
03-24-09, 13:31
From what I understand......

Translation: I don't really have any facts to back this up but I am going to say it anyway.

In this frenzy that has been created by gossip and "what-if's", please don't add fuel to the fire.

MarshallDodge
03-24-09, 13:35
RE: Magnum primers

Generally speaking if you switch from regular to magnum primers you should work up a new load. CCI says to drop 5% and go from there.

Good information. I just picked up some magnum primers to try and your post confirmed my thoughts.

markm
03-24-09, 13:54
I think the cup just may be a little harder. I loaded a handful of Wolf Magnum Rifle primers in some 9mm to try out, and I had one primer out of the 30 rounds I was testing that had got dimpled without igniting. It wouldn't fire on subsequent attempts.

Other than that round the rifle primers in pistol ammo seemed to work fine. I dont' know if I'll continue to load them, but in a bind it does work.

scratchy
03-25-09, 22:14
I ordered CCI 41 and 34 on 3/12 from Powder Valley. They accepted the backorder and the brown truck showed up at my house on 3/18. I would gladly do business with MidwayUSA and Powder Valley again. I have not ordered from Wideners yet but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

For sure don't take my opinion as authoritative. I haven't reloaded a single round yet. Just got started. Had to do a lot of reading and asking first.

M4A1CQBR
03-31-09, 22:23
Good luck on finding primers anywhere. My Dad and I have been buying whatever we can find (usually CCI). We have a several thousand at this point, but there out of stock almost everywhere. They're even getting hard to find at gun shows and for the area where I live...that's bad.