PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Terminal Ballistics

BuckskinJoe
03-07-09, 06:37
I have seen some results of gelatin testing of various shotgun loads, but I haven't found any on this site--perhaps it is here somewhere, but I haven't come across it.

From what I've found, #1 buck is rated slightly superior to 00 or #4 buck in terms of adequate penetration and total wound channel.

I would love to know whether Doc has done shotgun tests, and, if so, the results. I would also like to know how shotgun loads (including slugs) stack up on "barrier blindness" and as compared to various popular rifle and handgun cartridges. The shotgun seems to be THE most devastating close-range firearm--one round of buck equivalent to many rounds of 9mm(??). Is there good, extensive scientific work to quantify such?

Marcus L.
03-07-09, 12:31
Here's a couple of sources that cite information from the IWBA:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#SHOTGUN%20AMMUNITION

The conclusions are that due to number pellets, velocity, and cross sectional density, the #1 buckshot seems to be the best choice for close range defense. However, that IWBA recommendation does not include commonly encountered barriers in police use such as windshields. For a "duty" load, 00-buck with copper plating is a superior choice as it will penetration those barriers and still maintain good penetration. The weakpoint of shotshells is penetration, and what pellet size you use depends on your environment. For home defense, #1 buck is ideal.....for police use, 00-buck is better.

BuckskinJoe
03-07-09, 15:38
Here's a couple of sources that cite information from the IWBA:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#SHOTGUN%20AMMUNITION

The conclusions are that due to number pellets, velocity, and cross sectional density, the #1 buckshot seems to be the best choice for close range defense. However, that IWBA recommendation does not include commonly encountered barriers in police use such as windshields. For a "duty" load, 00-buck with copper plating is a superior choice as it will penetration those barriers and still maintain good penetration. The weakpoint of shotshells is penetration, and what pellet size you use depends on your environment. For home defense, #1 buck is ideal.....for police use, 00-buck is better.

Thanks, Marcus. I have seen your recommended sites a few times, and I am persuaded that #1 Buck is best for home defense where barrier penetration is not a desired quality. Consequently, both our home-defense shotguns have been loaded with #1 Buck "forever." The biggest drawback to #1 Buck is finding it! Most gun stores never carry it, and it either has to be special ordered or mail ordered from Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt or wherever. 00 or #4 Buck are much more commonly available.

I am hoping Doc can shed some more advanced light on the subject.

Glock17JHP
03-09-09, 15:18
As I have stated on other posts... a CAREFUL read of the IWBA materials reveals #1 Buck 'could be the best' if some loads are modified per the author's suggestions. Since loads have not been modified per the author's suggestions, 00 Buck is superior... NOT #1 Buck...

Rampant Colt
03-09-09, 15:37
The 2-3/4" #1 buckshot load recoils like an elephant rifle! Not conducive to fast follow-up shots. Reduced recoil 00 and 000 offers better patterns, follow-up shots and barrier penetration over the hard-recoiling #1 buck.

I'm gonna pattern some of the S&B 21-pellet @ 1210 fps #4 buck from my imp cyl 18-1/2" 870 for home-D. It seems like a good combination of penetration and target saturation [provided it patterns well] for apartment and condo dwellings

Wayne Dobbs
03-09-09, 16:29
I would avoid #4 buck like the plague. There are MANY horror stories about this load underpenetrating and failing, especially against heavily clothed or heavily muscled/porked up shootees. Stick with the 00 loads.

Glock17JHP
03-10-09, 00:40
The 2-3/4" #1 buckshot load recoils like an elephant rifle! Not conducive to fast follow-up shots. Reduced recoil 00 and 000 offers better patterns, follow-up shots and barrier penetration over the hard-recoiling #1 buck.

I'm gonna pattern some of the S&B 21-pellet @ 1210 fps #4 buck from my imp cyl 18-1/2" 870 for home-D. It seems like a good combination of penetration and target saturation [provided it patterns well] for apartment and condo dwellings

Agree on your assessment of #1 Buck, especially if you are referring to the 20-pellet 'short magnum' load!!!

On the rest of your comment, I would not be comfortable personally using a shot gun (multiple projectiles) in an apartment or condo (common walls, right?)... If the pellets are small/light enough to be 'safe' as relates to stray pellets, the penetration would also be 'iffy' on a human adversary. I would prefer a high-capacity handgun in such a scenario...