PDA

View Full Version : Picking my off duty gun

.357sigger
03-07-09, 13:07
I can carry any pistol I want in any caliber that I want. All I have to do is qualify with it. What gun would you carry and in what caliber...then tell me why. I have some ideas but I want to hear yours :eek:

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-07-09, 13:27
I have a 1911 in 45ACP I carry all the time beacuse it what I have.

I had a Glock19 but when my wife got her badge she sook it as her off duty gun. Her issue pistol is a Beretta PX2 storm which is big and hard for a small woman to hide off duty.

If she would let me spend the money I would get another Glock19 its a 9mm her department issues Federal HYDROSHOK in the 45ACP but gave her something else for her off duty gun. In my 45 I have the HYDROSHOCKS and when I used to carry the 9mm it was with the DPX round.

I would go with the Glock19 I know a lot of guys like the bigger rounds but I think if you pair the 9mm with the right bullet you will be ok.

bpd315
03-07-09, 13:28
I alternate between a S&W 640 .38 and a Grendel .380 that has had ALOT of work done to it so I trust it. Most guys at the pd carry Keltec in .380. This is a question that has to take into account your body size, method of carry and what you are comfortable with. While i enjoy larger cal. I find they are cumbersome to carry. I almost always use an ankle holster.

Good luck, Red.

NoBody
03-07-09, 13:29
Deleted.

padwan
03-07-09, 13:32
The Glock 19 is easy to carry and conceal (for me at least) that I never felt the need to look for something smaller, unless the dress code was so restrictive that I had to go for a pocket revolver.

In such cases, I wore a pair of Airweights. One in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in my left trouser pocket. The other in an ankle rig from Renegade.

Good luck on your search.

madisonsfinest
03-07-09, 14:20
What is your duty gun?

+1.........

.357sigger
03-07-09, 14:39
What is your duty gun?

Sig P229R in .40 s&w....

Marcus L.
03-07-09, 15:14
Sig P229R in .40 s&w....

It's important for you to maintain the muscle memory you have in your duty pistol with your off duty pistol. Sig controls are unique, and the characteristics of the pistol are different as well. If you pick a non-Sig for your off duty pistol and you do a lot of training with it, it WILL screw up your muscle memory when you use your duty pistol under stress. Been there.....done that.

I also carry a Sig P229 .40S&W on duty. For off duty, I prefer to carry my Sig P239 9mm which is compact, maintains the same control locations as the P229, and the charactistics of the pistol are very similar and cross training is easy. If I was using a duty Glock, my off duty pistol would be a small Glock. Same applies to the M&P or other brand of your choice. Cross training between two dissimilar pistols is counter productive in my opinion.
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/Guns001.jpg

If you want to stick with .40S&W, the P239 comes in .40S&W as well. I picked the 9mm because I thought that the little P239 had a little too much jump to it in .40S&W. If you go with the P239, I strongly suggest that you get the Hogue rubber wrap around grips like I have in this picture. It makes a world of control difference in the P239's handling and grip security. However, I'm not a fan of the Hogue wrap arounds in the larger P226, P228, and P229 series as it makes the grip too fat.

GLOCKMASTER
03-07-09, 16:08
I carry a SIG P229 DAK at work and I carry a G19 off duty. No issues running either pistol under stress.

The key is knowing your weapons and what you are carrying.

Ray T
03-07-09, 16:21
On duty, I carry a GLock 21SF loaded with my departments issue ammo - Federal .45 ACP 230gr HST+P. My back up is a Glock 27 loaded with COr-Bon 140 gr DPX.

My off duty gun is a GLock 20SF loaded with 175 gr Wincherster 10mm Silvertips or DoubleTap 165 gr Gold dots. My back up is the same Glock 27 loaded with COr-Bon 140 gr DPX.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-07-09, 16:34
Ur duty gun is a 229 in 40S&W what is the issue that is the perfect carry gun about the same size as a Glock19.

cfrazier
03-07-09, 17:21
Duty 220R Off duty 220 (old duty gun). Also carry Ruger Sp101 for both. Stick with what is famalier for both.

Decon
03-07-09, 19:20
If your looking at something smaller. Sig has the P238 in 380, but the only ones I have seen were single action. I carry a 226 DAK for in uniform use and a Kimber TLE II when out of uniform on administrative duties or off duty. I like the capacity of the 226 and the feel of the Kimber. I will be picking up something smaller, but I don't know if that will be the P238.

Beat Trash
03-07-09, 20:13
If you are issued a 229R in 40 caliber, I assume you want something smaller.

Many are carrying a gun off duty close to the size of the 229.

I carry a Glock 19 or lately a M&P9c. For several years, my issued gun was a S&W 5906, then for about 9 yrs, a 5946. Went from bad to worse, in my opinion. Started with the Glock 19 about 9 years ago.

For about the last 3 years, my issued pistol is a M&P 9mm. The more I shoot the M&P, the more I like them. (This is from a HUGE Glock 19 fan). The difference between the Glock 9mm's and the M&P 9mm's is close enough that I don't have issues going from one to another. But I am going to shelve my GLock 19 in favor of the M&P9c for off duty.

The more you train and practice with one type of handgun, the more I feel you should stay with that type of handgun for all of your defensive needs.

The best answer for what type of off duty gun would be to carry your issued 229R, both on duty and off. Baring that, I'd go with a 239. If your issued gun is a DAK, than I'd go with a DAK off duty. If a DA/SA on duty, than the same off duty.

If you do carry something other than your duty gun while off duty, try to spend some time training with it, above and beyond your qualification course. The life you save may be your own...

firecop019
03-07-09, 21:03
I carry the S&W 442 both off-duty, and as my backup gun. I picked it because I know that it will go bang when I pull trigger whether I've got a good grip or not. It's very light, and I can carry it well.

Now if you are strictly going to use it for off-duty, then the automatic would probably be a better choice. I agree with trying to stay with the same design that you carry on-duty. I used to carry a Glock 23 on duty and an HK USP 40c off. I stopped carrying the HK because I couldn't get them to point the same out of the holster because of the angle of the Glock grip. It doesn't bother some people but it bothered me. It's just something to keep in mind.

sbiggs
03-07-09, 21:45
Glock 19.

sff70
03-07-09, 22:28
P228 or G19

IMO, I don't care for a low cap gun for an off duty piece. I want a small package with as many rounds as possible.

woodandsteel
03-07-09, 22:41
My off-duty is a Glock 23. I also want to eventually get the Glock 27.

My department issues the Glock 22 or 23 as the only sidearm allowed. Most officers on my department stick with the .40 as a back weapon because the department gives us free .40 practice and carry ammo for all our back ups.

I also carry a Ruger LCP as an off duty/BUG. But, I always try to have the 23 with me.

Decon
03-07-09, 22:45
My off-duty is a Glock 23. I also want to eventually get the Glock 27.

My department issues the Glock 22 or 23 as the only sidearm allowed. Most officers on my department stick with the .40 as a back weapon because the department gives us free .40 practice and carry ammo for all our back ups.

I also carry a Ruger LCP as an off duty/BUG. But, I always try to have the 23 with me.

Woodandsteel,

How do you like the LCP? Wasn't there a notice from Ruger, recently. What was that all about?

woodandsteel
03-07-09, 23:12
Decon,

I really like it. I had the early model, with the 370 serial number. I reluctantly sent my gun into Ruger for the recall. I had no problems with it, so I didn't really see the need to send it in. But, I sent it in and had it back in five days.

It fits nicely in my front pocket. the weight isn't noticeable. There was one problem that I did encounter. Being right handed, I started carrying the LCP in my left pocket as a BUG. I noticed that while sitting in the car, something would depress the magazine realease, popping the magazine out. I have since moved the LCP to my right pocket, without any problems.

As far as shooting it goes, we shoot a 50 round qualification course, and the recoil is very manageable. Plus, it is quite accurate. We shoot moving from the 7 yard line back to the 25. It is not a tight group at the end of those fifty rounds. But all fifty rounds tend to stay in the sillouette of the Q targets that we use.

I'll still carry the LCP with me most of the time (on and off duty) in my front right pocket. But, for on duty carry, I am thinking about getting a S&W 442 for the weak side front pocket.

Decon
03-07-09, 23:37
I have been looking at getting one.

Thanks for the information

96GTS
03-08-09, 01:29
Same applies to the M&P or other brand of your choice. Cross training between two dissimilar pistols is counter productive in my opinion.

The more you train and practice with one type of handgun, the more I feel you should stay with that type of handgun for all of your defensive needs.
I agree. And while many say it's possible to learn multiple systems...why? I'd rather not take the chance. I carry a USPf .45 on duty and a USPc .45 off duty. Occasionally I'll carry my SW442 or LCP as a 2nd gun off duty, but they are both no safety, point and pull guns.

How do you like the LCP? Wasn't there a notice from Ruger, recently. What was that all about?
I know it's not directed to me, but I love my LCP. I put about 600 problem free rounds through it before ever carrying it. Now I have over 1000 rds through it. Still not a single FTF/FTE/etc. At one range session, I shot a cpl hundred rounds through her, carried it in my pocket for a cpl wks to get it 'linty', took it back out and shot another 100 rds w/o ever cleaning or lubing it. Not bad for a $300 pocket rocket IMO...

I really like it. I had the early model, with the 370 serial number. I reluctantly sent my gun into Ruger for the recall. I had no problems with it, so I didn't really see the need to send it in. But, I sent it in and had it back in five days.
I'm in the same boat. 370-xxx and I've read of ppl having issues after getting their gun back. Still haven't sent mine in. I will eventually:rolleyes:

ToddG
03-08-09, 17:37
What is your duty gun?

Sig P229R in .40 s&w....

SIG P229R in .40 S&W, then.

I love the easy ones.

Jack_Stroker
03-08-09, 17:57
I carry a Glock 21SF most of the time these days. Though I occasionally carry a Glock 23, Beretta 92FS or a Springfield Armory M1911A1 TRP Stainless Steel. I always carry at least 1 spare magazine and my Smith & Wesson 637 J-Frame always goes with me for backup.

John Hearne
03-08-09, 20:26
I generally prefer to dress around the gun and just carry my duty pistol. My duty pistol is a stainless 5" P220 Elite so I don't want to hear any whining about carrying a P229. If you don't think it can be done, try a quality holster like a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

In the very rare instance, like shorts and a t-shirt, when I can't carry the P220, I carry a P245. I really like the direct transfer of all my training time.

gtmtnbiker98
03-09-09, 12:37
If you are issued a compact P229 then why not carry it for off duty? The G19/G23/USP/P239 will not be that much smaller to warrant a change. I carry a P229 on and off duty without any issues. Nothing wrong with what you have.

bigghoss
03-09-09, 23:55
go with something similar to your duty gun

automan
03-10-09, 06:57
I can carry any pistol I want in any caliber that I want. All I have to do is qualify with it. What gun would you carry and in what caliber...then tell me why. I have some ideas but I want to hear yours :eek:

You can't go wrong carrying a S&W 642 or 442 .38 special J frame.

John Hearne
03-10-09, 16:52

Unless you encounter a shooting problem that requires more than five rounds...

ST911
03-10-09, 18:44

J-frames are best as BUGs.

Dan Goodwin
03-10-09, 19:55
You're the one who can carry what you want; what appeals to you?

Many like Glock 19/23/32 because, while same size envelope as a 229, they are significantly lighter and hold more rounds.

A G26 is about the size of a J-frame, carries twice as many rounds as a 642 and can take reloads with mags big as 33 rounds.

Cognoscenti will go with a high-end 1911 or an all steel DA target gun like John's P220. You have to be dedicated to carry a heavy handgun.

I've personally gone about off duty with everything from a NAA .22 Magnum to a Smith 629 Mountain Gun and most options in between. Everytime I go superlight, however, I run into a miscreant who has not appreciated my attention as a LEO.

So, day in and out, on duty and off, you'll usually find me with a G27/23 strongside OWB w/G22 mag in pouch and S&W 442 in a pocket holster with a SpeedStrip in my other pocket. That weighs as much or more as John's excellent blaster, but it's two guns with lots of BBs.

I can carry what I want and that is the easiest to pack day in and day out. If I feel like it's a "heavy day", I'll carry a G35 & mag along with a G27. Or my 5-in. Smith 27-2 and the 442. Or my MkIV Series '70 and the 442.

Lots of choices is a nice thing. The 442 is almost always there these days.

Now, what kind of long gun are you taking in the truck or car? A $120 pawnshop Remington 760 Gamemaster loaded with '06 AP can be a gruntling thing.

sff70
03-10-09, 23:01
I, too, used to feel that a j frame was enough.

Once I started looking at a LOT of shootings on policeone.com and officer.com, I changed my mind.

Furthermore . . .

The off duty LEO present at the Trolley Square Mall active shooter incident quickly found that 6 rounds was NOT enough.

One of the things he said he would do differently in the future was to carry more ammo.

More ammo in the gun beats more ammo on the belt. Having to reload when someone is shooting at you is bad. Having to reload 1 handed because you got shot in the hand(s) is worse.

In the last six months we had a local LEO KIA. Knowing the details of the incident, I can say with certainty that the use of a low cap gun contributed the negative outcome.

tpd223
03-11-09, 02:20
I carry a Glock 17 at work, I also carry the same gun off-duty.

I often carry either a Glock 26 or 642 as a BUG for the G17.

Were I in your shoes I would get a 239 and a 642, train and qual with both.

automan
03-11-09, 06:58
The probability that a revolver will jam on you is practically nil. Carrying a J frame for backup is really the G2 thing to do. The recent Il. church shooter had his Glock .45 jam after only 4 shots and he was the only active shooter. I'm sure he had more rounds left in the mag, but, if the gun can't fire, what good is it? You carry what you think you'll need, your shooting ability and what gives you the most confidence.

sff70
03-11-09, 11:48
In all likelihood, the church shooter could have remedied the stoppage with a Inital Action Drill in less than 2 sec, had he known how.