03-08-09, 11:31
Trying to track down the following for a 16" mid-length (my first AR):

Upper
-BCM 16" mid-length < got lucky and just ordered this
-BCM, LMT, or G&R BCG < I ordered the G&R
-Handguards
-Basic charging handle < BCM

Lower- LMT Defender L7C2 lower

^^Would you substitute any of the above (or recommend makes)? I would like to select the best quality within a reasonable price range.

Dealers- any besides the following? Bravo, G&R, Rainier, Global Tactical....

(I already have PMags, LaRue BUIS, 2500rds 5.56, and Spec-ops sling.....)

JSantoro
03-08-09, 13:43
I have one of the Gas Buster charging handles on my boomstick that I love:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GBCH&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dcharging%20handle%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

...but I've used some guns that have these, and it's pretty nice, especially for the price:
http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=200&cid=6&session=6e15abdfa8f4e7492a463c84b24baf13

They read as out of stock on Grant's site, but don't read as out of stock on the LMT site (though they're saying that you need a $100 minimum order to process); worth a call. Also contact Chad eguns.com to see if he's gotten any more in stock.

More here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26199&highlight=tactical+charging+handle

m-w
03-08-09, 16:30
I have that exact upper assembly with the Larue BUIS on my rifle (my first). Can't think of anything I'd change so far. I just ordered the charging handle, BCM BCG, and handguards to be included in the upper and have so far been very pleased with the quality. That was right before the supply dried up.

As far as dealers go, you will pretty much just have to keep an eye out. I got mine from G&R but it was right before the real shortages hit. I believe Bravo Company has an email list set up to email products when they hit stock. Getting on the list and updating your email to the list when lots of uppers do sell out may be your best bet.

Demand is just really high right now. I've been looking for a barrel to try out installing it myself and have come up with nothing so far. I do think production will catch up eventually, it'll just take a little time.

jh901
03-08-09, 21:49
Thanks....

Maybe a few more of you can chime in on alternatives to the BCM mid-length upper and LMT Defender lower. Doesn't seem like there are many high quality mid-lengths available, but from what I understand I don't need to be too terribly picky about the lower??

Hoping to be ready to fire by mid to late April.....

jh901
03-10-09, 21:16
bumping my own post is not cool.....I know better!

Hoping someone may have some complete lower advice. That's the last thing I need to order before I'm ready to fire.

The LMT Defender is tough to find. Would another brand be ok...even like RRA or Stag?? If so, can you elaborate on how picky I should be. And maybe you know of some available!?

Many thanks

bkb0000
03-10-09, 21:29
gun broker, dude. prices are actually dropping pretty good. i've seen a couple LMT complete lowers go for under 6. my favorite LMT lower normally goes for $512 i think, so that's in the neighborhood, considering the times. otherwise, i've seen a number of MEGAs and RRAs for less than 4, closer to 3. Megas rock, get a mega.

jh901
03-10-09, 21:41
thanks! i'll start trolling GunBroker....

i've seen pics of Mega in that cool green color, but other than that I'd never heard of them....

all features being equal (stock, single stage trigger, etc.), what is the quality difference between the best and the rest???

gun broker, dude. prices are actually dropping pretty good. i've seen a couple LMT complete lowers go for under 6. my favorite LMT lower normally goes for $512 i think, so that's in the neighborhood, considering the times. otherwise, i've seen a number of MEGAs and RRAs for less than 4, closer to 3. Megas rock, get a mega.

bkb0000
03-10-09, 22:36
thanks! i'll start trolling GunBroker....

i've seen pics of Mega in that cool green color, but other than that I'd never heard of them....

all features being equal (stock, single stage trigger, etc.), what is the quality difference between the best and the rest???

you'd be surprised... nothing. the lower receiver is the least important part of the entire gun, if you ignore the fact that it holds the gun together. unless it's out of spec (which does happen from time to time, and more often with cheaper receivers), the only real difference is finish machining. DoD contract weapons, otherwise known as "tier 1" manufacturers, generally don't have excellent finish machining. the aerospace manufactuers that basically put out receivers and nothing else tend to have the best finish machining (MEGA, Aeroprecision), Stag seems to have consistently perfect finish machining, if you can stand the big ass ugly deer head on the magwell. most manufactuers just sit somewhere in the middle.

jh901
03-14-09, 23:02
I was able to track down an LMT Defender for $380 (including shipping), which I thought was a decent deal. Dealer said it has "LEO Only" engraving, but that it's perfectly legal for civilians....haven't yet taken delivery yet. Can anyone comment on the "LEO Only" situation.

I also may have stumbled onto to several other LMT lowers, but with lpk installed by dealer. Amazing what you can find on the internet and by picking up the phone!

Assuming everything is delivered on time, I'll be g2g by next weekend. All I need is some cleaning supplies and a carry case.

RogerinTPA
03-15-09, 10:17
Dynamic armament has complete LMT lowers for $425.00 and $575.00 with the sopmod stock. They get them in all the time, as well as other alternative lowers, but sell out fast. Keep checking back with them. http://dynamicarmament.com/items/AR-15-LOWER-RECEIVERS/list.htm

SwatDawg15
03-15-09, 12:57
I was able to track down an LMT Defender for $380 (including shipping), which I thought was a decent deal. Dealer said it has "LEO Only" engraving, but that it's perfectly legal for civilians....haven't yet taken delivery yet. Can anyone comment on the "LEO Only" situation.

I also may have stumbled onto to several other LMT lowers, but with lpk installed by dealer. Amazing what you can find on the internet and by picking up the phone!

Assuming everything is delivered on time, I'll be g2g by next weekend. All I need is some cleaning supplies and a carry case.

The LEO markings dont mean anything legal wise right now. Thats a great deal on the lower, so go get her..

bkb0000
03-15-09, 13:14
unless he's talking stripped... you're not talking 380 for a stripped defender, are you? thats NOT a good deal

jh901
03-15-09, 13:53
Nope. The complete lower half. The one the retails for $330 on the LMT web-site is the one I have shipping to a local ffl this week.

http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=19&cid=4&session=1e1135ed35a4da97e9da7f8eff90e27e

unless he's talking stripped... you're not talking 380 for a stripped defender, are you? thats NOT a good deal

bkb0000
03-15-09, 14:26
Nope. The complete lower half. The one the retails for $330 on the LMT web-site is the one I have shipping to a local ffl this week.

http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=19&cid=4&session=1e1135ed35a4da97e9da7f8eff90e27e

ok, just checkin. ;)