PDA

View Full Version : Crye Precision website now open for orders

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 01:05
http://www.cryeprecision.com/home.aspx

It is finally open for civilian purchases, even the armor and blast belt, but only to Mil and LEO.

The armor is expensive, but it is probably the best designed stuff on the market for high threat situations.

Better get it now before the airsofters buy em up :)

BAC
03-09-09, 01:18
Cool! A website to SEE their stuff!

Is it or is their blast belt MOLLE limited to the back of the belt only? :confused:

-B

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 01:33
It goes all the way around. You can also order spare front sleeves to quickly change out your setup.

Cold Zero
03-09-09, 07:17
What is the NIJ rating of their armor?

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 10:42
Not sure what the rating is, but the crye armor is the semi rigid material that is similar to what most people would consider soft armor. I am sure it exceeds any soft armor out there. It appears to me to be a layer of kevlar type soft armor on a backing of HDPE plastic. Thus, the reason why it is called a chassis, and not a vest.

It is the same material used in the NAPE guard for the helmet, as used by the US military. Crye made the first batch of these too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-A-P-E-Pad-neck-protector-NIP-by-Crye-Precision_W0QQitemZ250384056677QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250384056677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

I have been using their armor for over a year now and it has held up well. It is light, and the chassis system seems to spread the weight over the whole vest. Only downside is that the plates are not flush with the rest of the vest, due to ventilation design factors. This may be an issue for someone wanting a low profile vest.

Cold Zero
03-09-09, 11:24
I beleive that the armored chasis also has positive, or at least neutral buoyancy so that the armor will not drag you under, should you wind up in the water.

signal4l
03-09-09, 11:28
The "Major League Infidel" hats are must have items

ryanm
03-09-09, 12:28
$1900 for just the plate carrier system??? Am I missing something on that? I have the Paraclete RAV07, with level 4 SOF plates, dyneema soft armor, daps, shoulder, and groin protectors--I was at 4K for the complete system. Is the Crye that much lighter and more comfortable? I believe the RAV07 vest by itself was $500+/-

I am ordering a set of the combat pants/shirt right now, but the armor seems a bit on the very expensive side...

Spurholder
03-09-09, 12:29
The "Major League Infidel" hats are must have items

Yep - just ordered mine.

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 12:46
$1900 for just the plate carrier system??? Am I missing something on that? I have the Paraclete RAV07, with level 4 SOF plates, dyneema soft armor, daps, shoulder, and groin protectors--I was at 4K for the complete system. Is the Crye that much lighter and more comfortable? I believe the RAV07 vest by itself was $500+/-

Depends what your needs are. For a high threat environment, it is probably the best thing out there for fighting in. It is way lighter than your setup, much more comfortable, and easier to put on quickly. I can wear mine all day with a full combat load and feel great at the end of the day. No sore back or shoulders like my previous systems. Oh, and it stays cool in hot climates, which means a lot over here. Everyone who has tried my chassis loves it.

The shoulder pads are also armored and well padded.

The only issue I have with it is the sizing. I am 6 foot, and around 210. I wear the XL because the L seems a bit short. But, the shoulder pads are a bit too long, preventing me to tighten it up all the way. It is not a real problem unless I am sitting in a car. With the pads off, it feels better, but offers less protection and comfort.

I will probably buy a spare vest to keep at home for training seminars, etc.

Cold Zero
03-09-09, 12:56
I agree with I.N. about his statements about the full kit. I have worn the whole set up, including the blast belt. I too found it to feel lighter than what it actually weighs, because the system seems to disperse the weight very well.

It also breathes better than anything else that I have tried. It has channels to allow air to flow thru, keeping you cooler. Now, why no onw else thought of such an obvious thing, I don't know.

The system is very ergonomically designed in my opinion to be easier on your body to wear for a long period of time, think less fatigue. MHO

What i would like to know is what rating their hard plates have and what threats they are rated to stop.

Dave L.
03-09-09, 13:04
Definitely don't need another armored vest, but the blast belt was ordered.

I doubt Crye will need stimulus money this year...

ryanm
03-09-09, 13:14
Any plate fitment issues with the 10x12 multi-hit plates? They have a funky curve to them.

I Love my RAV, I'm guessing you've used Paraclete before as well. I only have to wear mine every once in a while, I'm not outside the wire on a daily basis anymore.

If its really that much better than the RAV setups, I'll have to think about it.

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 13:17
I don't think Crye sells plates. Was it listed? When the Gen 1 vest came out, they had different shaped plates. They looked cool, but when it came time for some Gov. units to buy the vests, they wanted it to fit SAPI issued plates. That is what you now see on the Gen 2. I run XL ESAPI plates and they fit nice and snug.

The suspenders for the blast belt are ok, but nothing too special. If you don't don't use em, you can quickly spin the blast belt around to access pouches.

ryanm
03-09-09, 13:26
They didn't have any plates listed, but I have paraclete/ESAPI 10x12s. The new plates definitely have a more pronounced curve which almost didn't fit in my RAV. They are as snug as physically possible with the velcro still closing.

For me, the reason the RAV was so much more comfortable vs Interceptor was the elastic belt on the inside. As long as I keep that snug around my torso, it really helps distribute the weight of the vest. The Crye looks like it is designed to fit snuggly without the belt.

I definitley hear ya on the sore shoulders, that was a major issue for me with OTV and IOTV.

The Crye shoulder straps also look a bit more comfortable and I can see what your talking about in terms of ventilation. Did they change the design in this version vs the original? I seem to remember a plastic waffle like shoulder strap.

I just upgraded to the RAV07 vest in September, wish this had been available at that time.

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 13:32
Yes, they dropped the waffle rifle rest.

BTW, if you can locate two NAPE neck guards, they make good shoulder pads with added protection. A lot of soldiers don't use em and they are not too hard to trade for. You can also put them inside your MICH for extra protection.

RAV is a great vest too.

SHIVAN
03-09-09, 13:45
Whew....that is some spendy stuff. I really like the pants, but not sure I like them at $179 a set. Ouch.

I know there is a niche for it, but I'm just a regular guy. :p

ryanm
03-09-09, 13:50
They look kick ass though, I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out. I'm a TAD gear freak, so I'll compare to their stuff when these arrive. :)

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 14:04
Here is a pic of my vest showing how the armored shoulder straps look, and how the plates stick out a bit. Not a big deal for overt work, but not for low profile stuff.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/xmas-ball.jpg

ryanm
03-09-09, 14:18
I have the same boots, they've worked out really well. At first I had to get used to the design.

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 14:42
Oh, the OTB boots. I love em too. OTB is the Crye of footwear. Funny, but I found them while researching the lightest weight boots I could find. We have a fitness test that has to be run with full kit, and I like go as light as possible.

The new OPS-CORE helmet is on my short list of new items to get.

rubberneck
03-09-09, 14:53
I have the same boots, they've worked out really well. At first I had to get used to the design.

Nevermind, I should have read the first post on this page before asking my question.

RAM Engineer
03-09-09, 15:06
http://www.cryeprecision.com/home.aspx

It is finally open for civilian purchases, even the armor and blast belt, but only to Mil and LEO.

I see nothing on their website that would indicate that the armor or blast belt are MIL/LE Only (unless you are from Connecticut).

Dave L.
03-09-09, 15:07
Oh, the OTB boots. I love em too. OTB is the Crye of footwear. Funny, but I found them while researching the lightest weight boots I could find. We have a fitness test that has to be run with full kit, and I like go as light as possible.

The new OPS-CORE helmet is on my short list of new items to get.

I.N.,

Would mind PM'ing me on the details of that helmet- I need a new one also.
(I don't want to clog up the thread to bad)...

soldiersystems
03-09-09, 15:23
I.N.,

Would mind PM'ing me on the details of that helmet- I need a new one also.
(I don't want to clog up the thread to bad)...

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/2009/03/04/ops-core-releases-new-products/

Iraq Ninja
03-09-09, 15:50
I see nothing on their website that would indicate that the armor or blast belt are MIL/LE Only (unless you are from Connecticut).

That was the word from a friend of mine who just called Crye. A DOD card works too. I will try and confirm this.

soldiersystems
03-09-09, 16:29
That was the word from a friend of mine who just called Crye. A DOD card works too. I will try and confirm this.

I can confirm it. They will not sell to just anyone.

Dave L.
03-10-09, 03:01
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/2009/03/04/ops-core-releases-new-products/

Thanks for the link.

Also, thanks for the info on Crye's armor rules, I just emailed a copy of my CAC because the website didn't say anything during the checkout process.

Iraqgunz
03-10-09, 07:42
Do they have a Multicam thong yet? I need a new one. :D

Dave L.
03-10-09, 09:53
Do they have a Multicam thong yet? I need a new one. :D

Yes, you must mean the Ass Chassis. However, you will need a copy of your CAC to buy the level 3A version:D

militarymoron
03-10-09, 15:09
$1900 for just the plate carrier system??? Am I missing something on that? I believe the RAV07 vest by itself was $500+/-

remember that the Crye CAGE chassis INCLUDES the 'soft' armour. a RAV07 vest at $550 plus a set of dyneema BALCS cut soft armour at $990 comes to $1540, for a difference of about $360. also take into account that the CAGE chassis has armoured shoulders, which is an additional accessory for the RAV - maybe $100 additional. so it comes out to a difference of only a few hundred $.

different armour protection packages are available, but the 'standard' protection level is IIIA+frag, i was told - same as the gen I chassis.

crye will be offering their own stand-alone plates for use with the CAGE in the near future.

i don't find the CAGE chassis bulky - the front and rear plate 'standoff' isn't much thicker from any other armour where you have the plate over the soft armour package. on the CAGE, there's the air gap between the side flanks.
also, because the CAGE is split in the front and back, there's no overlapping of panels on the sides, so it's not as bulky on the sides as front/rear panel vests. the cummerbund doesn't have much thickness to speak of either.

the new Ops-Core FAST helmets are the heat. i have the bump helmet (non-ballistic version) and if you need a helmet that has been designed as a system, to integrate with NVDs, gas masks, O2 masks, COMMs gear etc - it's the one to get.

i've been working on my writeups for both the CAGE chassis and FAST helmet and will have them on my site in the near future. of course, it's written from my limited frame of reference, but the information and descriptions in there will be correct.

ryanm
03-10-09, 15:29
That makes alot more sense to me now. I thought was going to have to buy the soft armor in addition to the $1900 for the chasis--making the chasis extremely expensive. I sent them an email yesterday on purchasing one, I'll try to follow up today as well. They have a copy of my CAC and my LOA so I should be good to go.

Iraq Ninja
03-10-09, 15:59
Well, my perception of the chassis is that it does slightly stick out more on the front and back, and I think it is due to the padding on the inside of the vest. But, that is just how it appears to me, and it is not a game stopper at all.

I am preparing a report for Crye on the wear and tear experienced over the past year of constant use. It will be a short report. The only thing showing wear is some slight "fuzzing and balling" of the fabric under the right shoulder pad. I suspect this is from putting the vest on and off (the buckle is on the left shoulder pad). The fabric is still good to go though..

I just ordered the Ballistic version of the FAST helmet and will report back later.

militarymoron
03-10-09, 16:11
iraq ninja - you're right about the pads (which add about 1/4" to 3/8" of thickness, uncompressed). i failed to mention that i took out the front and side padding for the slimmest profile possible and left the rear pads in (which they state you can choose to do depending on personal preference). the weather is still cool here so the chassis feels comfortable without the pads.
i actually ran the gen I chassis without front or side pads either, as the gen I pads were thicker than the newer ones. i had EMDOM make me a very thin set of liners in the same shape as the chassis pads to put inside the chassis that had very little padding, but was just drilex on one side and velcro on the other. they worked well through summer days at the range and i could throw them in the wash.

Iraq Ninja
03-10-09, 19:55
MM,

I thought about taking the pads out for a slimmer fit, but in the end it really didn't seem to be a problem for me. I have run it without the shoulder pads and it seems ok. I think Crye should had a slimmer pad set, about the same thickness as their NAPE pads. Shoulder protection is important in the prone, and soft armor is not often enough.

Your custom made Endom pads sound great. Can he custom make a set for me? I buy enough of his great stuff. :)

BTW, I have one of your MM/Endom TNT bags and I got to say it is the "best in class" for a covert bugout style bag. I use it for air travel mostly. I had to avoid the temptation to get the multicam version, opting instead for the gray.

militarymoron
03-10-09, 21:44
PM sent. thanks for the kind words on the TNT - much appreciated.

edited to add: for those who are interested, i just posted my initial writeup on the Crye CAGE Armoured Chassis on my site (username and password are both 'mm' to view larger photos):
http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye3.html#cage

03-11-09, 17:11
I do realize Crye only sells to Mil/Leo, I thought for whatever reason that stance may have changed but it hasn't. I did not mean to waste anyone's time in is thread. Thank you all for your service.

Dave L.
03-12-09, 09:37
I just ordered the Ballistic version of the FAST helmet and will report back later.

I would be interested in your write up (with some pics).

soldiersystems
03-12-09, 14:47
I do realize Crye only sells to Mil/Leo, I thought for whatever reason that stance may have changed but it hasn't. I did not mean to waste anyone's time in is thread. Thank you all for your service.

I want to make sure we are clear. You can buy clothing all day long from Crye. They are only restricting armor sales to mil/LE/PMC.

Spoon
03-14-09, 13:35
Anyone been charged for their orders yet?

Dave L.
03-14-09, 15:17
Anyone been charged for their orders yet?

Yes, I emailed them a copy of my ID, because I ordered a Blast Belt along with some other goodies. They charged my card within 3 days I believe.
I never did receive an email confirmation of my order.

Iraq Ninja
03-14-09, 16:31
double post...

Iraq Ninja
03-14-09, 16:32
The multicam thongs are reserved for Crack Troops. You have to send a copy of your Exotic Dancer permit...

Looks like they are pulling items as they run out. The knee and elbow pads seem to be gone.

Kimbo
03-14-09, 17:08
I got charged two days after I put in the order. I received the field trousers five days after I ordered. Too bad they were too big, I called and they said to just mail them back and they would swap them out for a smaller size. :)

waterdoor
03-15-09, 03:01
Alright assmonkey thanks you just cost me $300. No thanks for the headsup. I have been watching their site for quite some time but lately I had forgotten to check on it.

Can't wait to wear my MLI hat to the hadji market!!! Booyah-GetSome!!

Dave L.
03-15-09, 06:48
I got charged two days after I put in the order. I received the field trousers five days after I ordered. Too bad they were too big, I called and they said to just mail them back and they would swap them out for a smaller size. :)

Did they run big, or did they get you the wrong size? Would you elaborate on the details please :)

RAM Engineer
03-15-09, 11:44
Anyone know if they'll be reintroducing their boonie cap?

Dave L.
03-15-09, 13:59
Anyone know if they'll be reintroducing their boonie cap?

The one SKD makes is awesome, I have 2.

Spoon
03-15-09, 14:24
Did they run big, or did they get you the wrong size? Would you elaborate on the details please :)I would also like to know how the fit is.

I only ordered the MC non velcro hat and MLI hat...I'm a hat whore lol :D

Kimbo
03-15-09, 18:11
I generally buy clothes online a size bigger than normal just in case the company makes them a certain cut. I bought large but need a medium.

soldiersystems
03-15-09, 19:44
Boonies will be coming but they won't be as intricate as before.

As for trouser sizing. Field trousers are right on but Combat trousers are a little big.

556Cliff
03-15-09, 19:53
Boonies will be coming but they won't be as intricate as before.

As for trouser sizing. Field trousers are right on but Combat trousers are a little big.

Will there be any reason to go with a Crye boonie over a SKD then?

Why and what are the changes?

soldiersystems
03-16-09, 13:34
Well right now, unless you find one on eBay you can't even go with a Crye boonie. As far as the changes? They haven't even released a design yet so we won't know until they actually release it. I do know that many of the bells and whistles will go away.

Dave L.
03-16-09, 14:02
Well right now, unless you find one on eBay you can't even go with a Crye boonie. As far as the changes? They haven't even released a design yet so we won't know until they actually release it. I do know that many of the bells and whistles will go away.

What did they Crye Boonie have that made them so great?

Iraq Ninja
03-16-09, 15:08
The OPs-Core helmet just came in the mail. It is everything it was claimed to be, and better. Great quality. I am leaving for the airport, and will post photos once I get back to the Sandbox in about 3 days.

Dave L.
03-16-09, 16:14
The OPs-Core helmet just came in the mail. It is everything it was claimed to be, and better. Great quality. I am leaving for the airport, and will post photos once I get back to the Sandbox in about 3 days.

Travel safe bro, it's just as sandy as it was when you left :D

soldiersystems
03-16-09, 19:16
What did they Crye Boonie have that made them so great?

No metal eyelets, they had slits in the side for ventilation. The foliage loops were color matched and there was a shock cord in the back to tighten it around the head.

Danny Boy
03-16-09, 23:29
Re: The Crye Boonie and what SS said.

I'm very flaky when it comes to gear, but it's the one hat I own that I will never get rid of and would probably cry like a baby if I ever lost it.

I have a HUGE head so sizing can be an issue for me but it fits perfectly and on windy days it has the shock cord tightener so it doesn't go anywhere. It also flops just the right amount pretty much from new and the vents keep my head very cool in South Florida heat.

It's basically just a superior quality boonie. It's like the Colt or Noveske or LWRC of boonie hats. I realize that that may sound like something trivial and you're probably right. A hat is a hat is a hat.

I do think they're worth every cent though, if you can find one. I'm sad that they've changed the design.

Danny Boy
03-17-09, 12:49
Just received my field pants. Length and width are good but they crush my nuts when I sit down or crouch. I was told that they ride high in the crotch to prevent leg chafing but having my balls print on each side of the crotch seam is a little weird. Could probably do with being cut just a little lower in that respect.

Other than that I really like them. I'm guessing that they'll loosen up a tad.

Dave L.
03-17-09, 14:01
Just received my field pants. Length and width are good but they crush my nuts when I sit down or crouch. I was told that they ride high in the crotch to prevent leg chafing but having my balls print on each side of the crotch seam is a little weird. Could probably do with being cut just a little lower in that respect.

Other than that I really like them. I'm guessing that they'll loosen up a tad.

You forgot to order the Combat Jock-Strap ;)

Danny Boy
03-17-09, 16:05
Nah...it's OK if I wear them like the kids are nowadays. Better that than male camel toe.

I think I may send them back.

Kimbo
03-17-09, 19:35
I called them to ask for instructions, they told me to just send them back with a note that had the order number and where you want them to send it to you and what size you need it replaced.

Danny Boy
03-18-09, 20:41
Yeah, they're gonna give me a refund which is mighty nice of them. I've spoken to a few other guys who've had similar problems and for the money they cost it's not something I'm inclined to endure.

Iraq Ninja
04-15-09, 04:39
MM,

The CAGE chassis as what is being sold now appears to be what I call a Gen 2.1, based on what I was told were modifications requested by the Navy. The first Gen 2 seemed to have only one quick release and the drag strap did not have the rubber tube over the webbing. Also, the shoulder pads were a bit thinner. It seems that Crye has adopted these changes into their standard model now.

BTW, I have been running mine with only the rear pads as you suggested, and it has been working well.

militarymoron
04-16-09, 09:19
iraq ninja,
yes, i think i remember noticing the small changes between the first release of the 'Gen 2' and the CAGE. there are so many different versions of crye's chassis that it's hard to keep track of them. for every 'commercial' version the public sees, there are probably half a dozen in-between non-commerical with changes made by request for specific customers etc. even crye sometimes has difficulty deciding what to call them, which is why they'll sometimes name products after the revision or after the customer.

glad to hear it's working out with only the rear pads. have you noticed any difference in ventilation/heat without the pads, and what's the temperature out there right now?
i think i get a bit more ventilation with the front/side pads, but prefer the fit without them.