PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 HRT Boots

Nathan_Bell
12-16-06, 21:30
These boots where on sale late this summer for $20 or so. Surprisingly enough they had size 15, so I bought a pair. Having worn them throught out Thumper and Bambi season I thougth I would offer my opinions, Pro and con about them.

Pro's
Lightweight: the pair weighs in at 4.75 pounds. This weight was taken from the boots I have worn all day in mud and water, so dry weight might be slightly less.
Water repellant: They are good if you have to cross over/through a stream or slightly swampy area. If you are loking for walking up a stream and keeping your little piggies dry, choose a different boot.
Soles: Grip well in a range of surfaces. For example, today we started out in an old stripmine. I walked on clay, shale, gravel, rocks, downed trees, and leaves, all of these surfaces were encountered wet and dry. I was able to avoid taking a tumble all day.
Laces: Stayed tied when I want them to be tied, will untie when that is appropriate. Stand up to briars and the like very well.
Comfort*:Able to be worn and walked in on relatively level surfaces all day without a problem.

Cons
Comfort: If walking downhill or in very off camber situations, would push the toe of boot into the end of my big toe's nail. :(
Laces: No speed lacers or steel eyelets, so putting these boots on is not something I can do on the fly. I must sit, work all but bottom two holes of laces lose and pull them on, then pull them tight one set of laces at a time. Will have to see what long term wear shows for the survival of the lace holes.
Durability: With only 19 days of hunting in these boots they are starting to appear a little frazzled, the upper is showing some shag from encountering briers, thorns, and shale.

Here are a few pics showing how they are getting little frazzled. I know these are not hiking boots per se, but there are thorns or some sort almost everywhere. http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/DCP_0251.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/DCP_0252.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/DCP_0253.jpg

mark5pt56
12-18-06, 09:12
Size 15! So ours would weigh in at 3 lbs? I would try a 1/2 size more if the toes are bumping the front. Alot of hiking in the Blue Ridge(or any where) brings out shoes that aren't sized properly.

Those rocks and briars will put a hurting on anything though. How ar ethe soles holding up?

Mark

Nathan_Bell
12-18-06, 11:55
The soles are holding up pretty well so far. They are probably my favorite feature of these boots. If I would start slipping I was always able to find more traction to keep vertical.

mark5pt56
12-18-06, 12:13
Typically, the softer soles don't last as well on rock, etc. They may be more comfortable, but cut and scuff quick. With hard use, a year or two is all I ask of a pair.

hireforfire
12-29-06, 18:41
I have used a pair of these and am torn I like that they don't leak so working in the mud is no deal. But they have something to be desired in the comfort department and they are slow to put on and take off. They seem to wear better than be but I run unbloused pants so it protects the areas you are having trouble with the soles do seem to hold up better than others but all in all I like my other ATAC 511 boots more unless it is wet out. The soles are softer they are a zipper boot but they are more comfortable even out of the box than the HRT which I thought was weird because most are not comfortable at all. Oh and the shoelaces are always coming untied and are going to be replaced as soon as I remember to with some paracord.