PDA

View Full Version : What mid-length upper is right for me?

lostwake
03-09-09, 22:56
I am totally rebuilding my bare bones flat top m4 with railed gas block. I decided to go with a mid length ff hand guard and low pro gas block . I want the transition from the rails on the upper to the hand guard to be seamless. so far the only brand i have seen that makes what I am looking for is midwest industries. I don't want to drop the kind of coin for a DD or larue. anyone have some good ideas or a middy hg for sale?

lostwake
03-10-09, 14:45
Im now contemplating going with a full length MI "T" series on my 16" there not out yet but i like what i see. any feedback?

seb5
03-10-09, 19:30
If you prefer it GTG. I would at least look at some other systems that also seamlessly bridge the gap. Troy comes to mind if you don't want DD or Larue. Troy is cheaper as well. For a mid length you need 9 inches for it to go to the front sight base, 11 inches to cover the low profile gas block, and yes, the rifle length does fit well, and looks good, but weighs a bit more.

lostwake
03-10-09, 20:32
10 or 12 inch is what i had in mind. I looked at troy and others, but now im geeked on the one piece ff design. there are too many choices out there. Right now Midwest Industries is winning my vote so far. id like to hear form people who have owned one.

RD62
03-10-09, 21:00
I've handled most of those you are speaking of, and in fact have the Omega, DD M4, MI #17 and MI#20 in front of me now. If I were buying one of those today it would be the OMEGA. The MI rails are nice and a pretty good value, but the OMEGA is lighter, easier to install, has built in QD sling points, and includes 3 ladder rail panels. Figure about $60 for rail panels and to add a sling point to the MI rails, plus the added time, effort and modifications to the weapon for installation and the price difference begins to shrink more.

I don't have much experience with the Troy rail systems, but hope to change that soon.

Good luck in your search!

-RD62

lostwake
03-10-09, 21:17
Does the omega need the fsb or gas block for install? I'm thinking low pro gas block and cover it up with a 10 or 12 inch rail on a 16 inch carbine. Don't tell me that wont look sick with the fde magpul furniture i got.

RD62
03-10-09, 21:23
Does the omega need the fsb or gas block for install? I'm thinking low pro gas block and cover it up with a 10 or 12 inch rail on a 16 inch carbine. Don't tell me that wont look sick with the fde magpul furniture i got.

It's designed to fit behind it, but it is not necessary for install or proper function. Like any FF system, you'd need the longer length ones to cover the gas block.

-RD62