PDA

View Full Version : Interesting conversation with Remington

CM-4
03-10-09, 09:11
I just got off of the phone with Remington because I wanted to order some parts for my 870 Express. I have been in the process of upgrading my Express to a Police model by changing out the springs and getting a machined extractor. I know that in the past Remington has said that there was a difference between the mag spring and sear spring etc. But the guy that I talked to said that there is no difference between the Express and P model in terms of the springs. He said that the P model does have a heavier Sear spring because the P model needed a heavier trigger pull but stated that the express model does not have a cheaper made spring just a lighter trigger pull. However he said that the magazine springs are the same. When I brought up the issue of the extractor in the Express being MIM and the P being machined, he said that's absolutely not true. He said they are the same in both models. He said basically they are the same gun except that the P is parkarized and the Express is not and the P does go through more of a quality check. He also said that the Express is cheaper because of the stocks. He said that Remington has to pay speedfeed more for their stocks as opposed to them making their own for the Express. He said that your money would be better spent buying better sights and buying ammo for the gun because ammo prices have gone up.

I also asked him if the spare P parts were restricted for sale to civilians. He said no they are not you could order whatever you want because there is basically no difference in the parts.

MarshallDodge
03-10-09, 09:20
He said that your money would be better spent buying better sights and buying ammo for the gun because ammo prices have gone up.

I agree about the ammo part. Buy a bunch and get familiar with the gun before changing anything.

ST911
03-10-09, 10:24
I just got off of the phone with Remington because I wanted to order some parts for my 870 Express. I have been in the process of upgrading my Express to a Police model by changing out the springs and getting a machined extractor. I know that in the past Remington has said that there was a difference between the mag spring and sear spring etc. But the guy that I talked to said that there is no difference between the Express and P model in terms of the springs. He said that the P model does have a heavier Sear spring because the P model needed a heavier trigger pull but stated that the express model does not have a cheaper made spring just a lighter trigger pull. However he said that the magazine springs are the same. When I brought up the issue of the extractor in the Express being MIM and the P being machined, he said that's absolutely not true. He said they are the same in both models. He said basically they are the same gun except that the P is parkarized and the Express is not and the P does go through more of a quality check. He also said that the Express is cheaper because of the stocks. He said that Remington has to pay speedfeed more for their stocks as opposed to them making their own for the Express. He said that your money would be better spent buying better sights and buying ammo for the gun because ammo prices have gone up.

I also asked him if the spare P parts were restricted for sale to civilians. He said no they are not you could order whatever you want because there is basically no difference in the parts.

I wonder what Remington's LE division would say about all that. Me thinks you drew a random CSR working the phones. Call again, for the LED, and ask the same questions. http://www.remingtonle.com/

(Big Clue: Both the P and E are parkerized as a norm.)

austinN4
03-10-09, 12:42
Then I wonder why Remington has different part numbers for the Express extractor and Police extractor?

So does Midway USA - and the Express version is $5 less money!
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=9&categoryId=12933&categoryString=10636***10560***9143***11373***

Buck
03-10-09, 13:17
Stuck to the top of this forum...

LINK (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11636)

B

austinN4
03-10-09, 14:11
Buck, not all of the differences listed in that document are valid anymore. That document has some years on it. For example:

1. 870E 6+1 synthetic now comes with sling swivel studs - confirmed
2. J-lock on 870E was discontinued - confirmed
3. I have heard, but can not confirm, that new 870Ps now also using plastic trigger guard.

And the new Tactical line (870Ts) has really muddied the water. They are basically 870Es that are all dressed up with things like drilled and tapped receivers, GRS, rails, standoff devices, Rem-chokes, etc.

ST911
03-10-09, 15:45
Also worth noting: A batch of 870s seen at a major retailer the other day were devoid of the "Express/Tactical/Wingmaster/Police" labels, but included some attributes of most. All were parked.

geezerbutler
03-17-09, 21:51
3. I have heard, but can not confirm, that new 870Ps now also using plastic trigger guard.

Not mine That I got in the last 1/4 of '08, but my Benelli M2 that costs almost double does have a plastic trigger guard.:)

You gotta go with the "P" man, if you can get it at a not too jacked up cost.

austinN4
03-18-09, 08:33
There is nothing wrong with the plastic trigger guard on the 870, IMO. I have yet to hear of anyone breaking one.

CarlosDJackal
03-19-09, 13:31
Then I wonder why Remington has different part numbers for the Express extractor and Police extractor?...

As was stated in the original post, the Police extractor is Parkerized and goes through more of a QC process which brings it's overall price up a bit.

dbrowne1
03-19-09, 14:08
As was stated in the original post, the Police extractor is Parkerized and goes through more of a QC process which brings it's overall price up a bit.

The difference is (or at least used to be) that the Police/Wingmaster extractor was machined from barstock whereas the Express part was MIM. I have no idea if either or both is parkerized but that's just a finish in any case.