PDA

View Full Version : 1911 parts

bigghoss
03-10-09, 15:00
so I picked up the charles daly commander sized 1911 from a friend recently. it's pretty beat up but I was kinda wanting a project to practice on, and it was fairly cheap.

so I need recommendations for:
1. commander barrel bushing
2. internal extractor
3. firing pin stop plate
4. firing pin
5. firing pin spring
6. recoil spring

also it has a one-piece FLGR and it's kinda a pain to take down. should I ditch it for a short rod, or a 2 piece?

dwhitehorne
03-10-09, 15:38
I had a Charles Daly EMS a few years ago. The model with the novak style sights. Older models all had the GI sights. My 4 inch CD had a bull barrel and did not use a barrel bushing. I don't know how you would convert from the FLGR to the GI guide rod if you have a 4 inch bull barrel. Maybe someone that knows more about 1911's will chime in. Brownells is what I use for parts. They send out a nice 1911 catalogue a few times a year that makes it a whole lot easier than trying to navigate their website. The 4 inch CD uses the same recoil spring as the Kimber 4 inch compacts. David

bigghoss
03-10-09, 16:18
mine has the GI type sights and does not have a bull barrel, it uses a bushing

bgoode
03-10-09, 19:36
Get the short GI guiderod. I like Les Baer parts, wilson extractor.

BAC
03-11-09, 12:56
I would strongly consider EGW (Evolution Gun Works) parts for internals. They're not cheap: $120 ish for the parts you mentioned. However, they are also intentionally made a little 'big', because they're designed to be gunsmith fitted. That may or may not be important to you.

Enjoy your pistol. :)

-B

wesprt
03-11-09, 17:16
EGW, Fusion, Ed Brown and Cylinder & Slide are all GTG parts wise.