PDA

View Full Version : Arnold vid 2009

WillBrink
03-10-09, 15:53
Any of you ever attend the Arnold Classic? It's the country's largest sports festival, with everything from pro bbing, to MMA, to fencing, and many others. Here's my vid from last weeks show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpBTIJ4rbhE&feature=channel_page

Enjoy. :D

AirmanAtwood
03-10-09, 16:49
I'v always wanted to go. Main reason for wanting to go.....to get a chance to hit on Jamie Eason at the bodybuilding.com booth :)

WillBrink
03-10-09, 16:50
I'v always wanted to go. Main reason for wanting to go.....to get a chance to hit on Jamie Eason at the bodybuilding.com booth :)

Every man needs a dream...;)

babaracus
03-10-09, 19:38
My friend and I have gone the past three years, but had to miss this year since his 3rd kid is due any day now. We always have a blast! Jamie Eason is every bit as beautiful, fit, and sweet as you would expect (it's terrible). In 2006, somehow we were able to sneak back stage at the Veterans Stadium to the warm-up gym and meet all the strongmen. Very cool.

Iraq Ninja
03-10-09, 20:55
Looks like a SHOT show for fitness.

Will, do you see a trend where something like the strength competitions will replace stuff like Mr. Olympia in popularity? Just like what UFC has done to boxing?

AirmanAtwood
03-10-09, 20:57

Will, do you see a trend where something like the strength competitions will replace stuff like Mr. Olympia in popularity? Just like what UFC has done to boxing?

I doubt the Arnold classic will be bigger then the Olympia in the bodybuilding world.

Iraq Ninja
03-10-09, 21:21
Hmm, but are these professional bodybuilding competitions as popular today as say, 10 years ago? I have always thought there was the stigma of steriods, in that one can not rise to such a level without chemical enhancement.

I honestly enjoy the lifting competitions more so than the bodybuilding ones. If I may use an analogy, it would be like who can build the best AR, vs. who is a better shot. One is art, and the other is application.

Well, I do enjoy the watching the ladies...

AirmanAtwood
03-10-09, 21:53
Hmm, but are these professional bodybuilding competitions as popular today as say, 10 years ago? I have always thought there was the stigma of steriods, in that one can not rise to such a level without chemical enhancement.

I honestly enjoy the lifting competitions more so than the bodybuilding ones. If I may use an analogy, it would be like who can build the best AR, vs. who is a better shot. One is art, and the other is application.

The Olympia is a competition that is very big for bodybuilders/figure-fitness competitors. The Arnold classic is sort of turning into a fitness/sports convention. The Arnold is becoming more and more mainstream and popular to the general public, but to hardcore bodybuilders and fitness girls the Olympia is the bigger one. I used to be big on bodybuilding before I had to lose a bunch of weight for the military and IMHO the olympia is the more important show for true bodybuilding fans.

The Arnold is still pretty good though.

WillBrink
03-11-09, 07:04

I don't think so. It's apples and oranges there. MMA is really boxing on steroids, so you can see why one would replace the other, but bbing and strong man oriented stuff are really apples and oranges. Both will always have their niche.

militarymoron
03-12-09, 13:14
If I may use an analogy, it would be like who can build the best AR, vs. who is a better shot. One is art, and the other is application.

it'd be the best LOOKING AR, not necessarily the best (functioning) AR. it's about the aesthetics alone. :)

WillBrink
03-12-09, 13:29

Hard to say, but I know bbing was more popular say 10 years ago prior to steroid stigma. The huge look is not so popular these days, the old school "hard core" gyms much less common, and magazine sales and show attendance at the local level down. The general fitness industry is larger then ever and building muscles and strength still the goal of many a 16 year old who wants to impress the babes, etc, alive and well, hence the popularity of forums such as BB.com and the growing sales of supplements, etc:D

The Arnold Classic covers what ever floats your boat, and if they add an IDPA match, they will have it all covered!

No place matches the Arnold Classic for that either....

Mr.Goodtimes
03-12-09, 18:42
i would really like to see these mass monsters in body building (jay cutler, ronnie colman, marcus ruhl, to name a few) go away. they look absolutely stupid. guys are 5 foot 7 and weigh 250 or more lbs. i dont see where that is even asthetically pleasing, they seriously look like walking freak shows. I think it would be great to see a re emergence of the figures that Arnold and Frank Zane displayed. they looked way more athletic, more like a greek sculpture, like a true athlete. i dont think these body builders of today could run a mile to save their lives, much less wipe their own asses.

the arnold classic still kicks ass though, and i would love to go one day.

AirmanAtwood
03-12-09, 19:14
i would really like to see these mass monsters in body building (jay cutler, ronnie colman, marcus ruhl, to name a few) go away. they look absolutely stupid. guys are 5 foot 7 and weigh 250 or more lbs. i dont see where that is even asthetically pleasing, they seriously look like walking freak shows. I think it would be great to see a re emergence of the figures that Arnold and Frank Zane displayed. they looked way more athletic, more like a greek sculpture, like a true athlete. i dont think these body builders of today could run a mile to save their lives, much less wipe their own asses.

the arnold classic still kicks ass though, and i would love to go one day.

The heavier weight classes are all about mass, They dont need to go away. Bodybuilding is all about improving so you shouldnt just stop because youv gotten "too big". And besides, people like dexter jackson, who is very large but still has a great shape are what makes bodybuilding exciting. If he came to a show the same shape, size, vascularity, etc would you watch him year after year? If you want pure aesthetics look at the lower end of the weight spectrum.s.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-13-09, 18:42
im all for improvement and mabey even some change ;) but what bothers me about it is the insane ammount of drugs used to get there. its fake, its artificial. just like most of America these days, unfortunately. it also bothers me how all these 250lb monsters will stand up there and lie to our faces about their steroid usage. why dont they just come out and admit it? instead, though, they tell us in interviews that if we eat right and workout hard, that one day we can look like them too!

BravoCompanyUSA
03-13-09, 21:36
Thanks for the video. Very cool.
I haven't been to a show in a while, but the Arnold is just getting huge!

No, they can't admit to drug use. Nothing good will come of that. Nothing good comes of that whenever a pro athlete gets 'outed'. The general public is completely naive.

I wish the competitions where more quantitifiable. I wish the posing rounds actually made a material difference in the overall scores. Athletes put 100% in training, 100% into diet, etc., and 1% into the display, and it shows. And for fans in the seats it is just a visual experience.

WillBrink
03-16-09, 09:58
im all for improvement and mabey even some change ;) but what bothers me about it is the insane ammount of drugs used to get there. its fake, its artificial. just like most of America these days, unfortunately. it also bothers me how all these 250lb monsters will stand up there and lie to our faces about their steroid usage. why dont they just come out and admit it? instead, though, they tell us in interviews that if we eat right and workout hard, that one day we can look like them too!

What else are they supposed to do? Have you noticed what happens to those who do admit it? There's a general witch hunt at the moment regarding athletes using these drugs, so they have no real choice in terms of what they say. Consider it OPSEC and PERSEC in their world. Back in the day, 60s, 70s, and 80s, they were quite open about it, and discussion of that was common in the magazines and such. So, we can debate the issue of drug use in sports all day, but why they currently keep their mouth shut about it, is easy enough to figure out. 250lb monsters? Hell, that's a small one by todays standards! :D:eek::D

WillBrink
07-30-09, 10:49
Although I have some eye candy in my vids of this show, this person made a vid of nothing but the eye candy found at the expo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lbWmayUb-Q&NR=1

Tarzan like....:D