PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Magazines Loaded

damightyz
03-10-09, 16:32
Hi,

Is there any downside to keeping magazines loaded all the time? I keep a few of my spare magazines loaded and I'm hoping that I'm not doing damage to the magazine (i.e. the spring going bad).

Thanks!

Chessbay
03-10-09, 16:36
All of mine are loaded.

It does not matter.

Sierra 1
03-10-09, 16:37
No problem keeping them loaded. Spring set is a myth!

Artos
03-10-09, 16:59
I do not own any pmags 'yet'

I see where they have a lip relief / storage gadget...is this needed??

RPD102
03-11-09, 10:07
P mags are the way to go. I just got 30 of them in. Sad part is, LEO's can get them with no trouble. Private citizens are having trouble. I ordered them on a Thursday, and got them on Monday.

Artos
03-11-09, 10:10
which are the ones to get?? I see different revisions.

Don't need many & the 20rnds is what I'll use.

thanks!!

RPD102
03-11-09, 10:19
I have 30 round windowed mags. I am also gonna get me some ranger floorplates. I love them, and it sure beats the heck out of aluminum.

markm
03-11-09, 11:20
I do not own any pmags 'yet'

I see where they have a lip relief / storage gadget...is this needed??

No. The actual cycling of ammo through the mag would be way more hard on the feedlips than sitting loaded.

larry0071
03-11-09, 11:30
** I AM NOT A MECHANICAL ENGINEER, NOR DO I PLAY ONE ON TV! **

I saw a post on PAFOA about this and one of the guys there said that the spring in compression did not much effect the springs life as much as the spring being put into compression and then removed from compression. If I understood it correctly, you load a mag and leave it set for 12 months loaded and you have done little to effect the spring. But take another mag and load it with ammo, shoot it out, repeat this 40 times over 12 months. Again... If I understood it correctly... the 40 uses over 12 months can potentially render the spring inadequate.

I think the term he used was "cycling the spring" causes fatigue more than constant pressure.

This could be total BS, but it sounded like the man saying it knew what he was talking about, or he had just recently stayed a night at a Holiday Inn!

SIGguy229
03-11-09, 11:57
I've got a couple of PMAGs and some GI mags sitting at home in a safe....I'll shoot them when I get home (December 2009) and see what the effect is....

restfortheweary
03-11-09, 15:12
RPD,
How can LEO'S get them without any trouble. Please fill me in.

CobraBG
03-11-09, 15:57
P mags are the way to go. I just got 30 of them in. Private citizens are having trouble. I ordered them on a Thursday, and got them on Monday.

That's a quick delivery, doesn't sound like trouble to me. I'm still waiting for some I ordered last November. Now that's having trouble.:rolleyes:

UVvis
03-11-09, 16:22
There is one downside I'm aware of.

A box of 100 empty mags is easy to move.

A box of 100 LOADED mags weights about 85 lbs more, and you need a strong box.

Abraxas
03-11-09, 16:38
Hi,

(i.e. the spring going bad).

Thanks!

It is not the spring being compressed that wears out the spring. It is the action of compressing and then decompressing that wears out a spring.

mtk
03-12-09, 09:19
The whole thing is a non-issue when the magazine in question is a modern one, constructed using modern spring steels.

In other words, if you're playing with some original WWII MP40 magazines, that is one thing. A new Glock mag or PMAG is another. In the latter case, load them and forget it.

Spring steels are no mystery and we're really, really good at it by now.

Iraqgunz
03-12-09, 10:55
I can't believe that this dead horse was reincarnated.

larry0071
03-12-09, 11:53

LOL... imagine that every newer member searched until thier fingers bled and found every answer they could have want for. This forum would be dead, boring, and SUCK!

So, you get new blood in and once in a while a new topic (to a group of young bloods) comes up and entertains us a bit. You old dudes with 10 years of posting here could always choose to simply avoid the repetative posts if it's a big deal.

What I'm saying is... it will never end! With new blood (members) coming all day and every day... things will be rehashed. It keeps things flowing.

Respect and honor unto you.....

Larry

panzerr
03-12-09, 18:16
We used to unload our magazines once a month to let the springs "rest". I was never convinced it made a difference so on my second deployment I rarely did it with my HK mags and never had an issue with the springs losing their umph. I would like some outside confirmation on this, though...perhaps by one of the magpul guys.

BAC
03-12-09, 18:34
That's a quick delivery, doesn't sound like trouble to me. I'm still waiting for some I ordered last November. Now that's having trouble.:rolleyes:

You and me both. Heh. Maybe when we get ours they'll be the newest generation of 'em. :D

-B

OldNavyGuy
03-14-09, 08:19
I've got a couple of PMAGs and some GI mags sitting at home in a safe....I'll shoot them when I get home (December 2009) and see what the effect is....

please do NOT shoot those mags, heck i'll give you a couple dollars each for them, i just do not like to see good equipment destroyed ;) ;)

murphy j
03-14-09, 09:46
While the advice in this thread is in keeping with most of what I've read and experienced, the Mil-spec M9 mags I was issued were crap. Ranging from new in the wrapper to used, invariably after several days to a week or so, I would have to stretch the springs to ensure rounds didn't fall out and I had reliable feeding. I wasn't the only one who had this problem either. It also isn't relegated to just the ones issued by the Army. A Marine buddy of mine said he and his guys had the same problem on his deployment. I eventually had a friend send me a bunch of Beretta factory mags from Brownells and spread them out amongst my truck crew. I had no issues with my M4 mags whether they be Standard Mil-spec or rehabed with Magpul followers and Brownell's chrome silicon springs.

ZDL
03-14-09, 20:04
P mags are the way to go. I just got 30 of them in. Sad part is, LEO's can get them with no trouble. Private citizens are having trouble. I ordered them on a Thursday, and got them on Monday.

Explain this please.

Outlander Systems
03-15-09, 15:22
A local shop here (Brigade Quartermasters) got PMags in stock recently. Civs can have 2 per day. LEO/.mil are allowed as many as they want.

To me, that's a good thing. I'd LIKE to have some more PMags, but I'd like to know that the guys who really, really need 'em right now are given priority.

M4tographer
03-15-09, 16:43
A local shop here (Brigade Quartermasters) got PMags in stock recently. Civs can have 2 per day. LEO/.mil are allowed as many as they want.

To me, that's a good thing. I'd LIKE to have some more PMags, but I'd like to know that the guys who really, really need 'em right now are given priority.

What makes them need them any more than I do?

bkb0000
03-15-09, 16:45

you beat me to it

RogerinTPA
03-15-09, 16:58
Back in the mid 80's, my grandfather died. My grandmother found a firearm (.45) that she felt uncomfortable having around. It was a WW II original GI issue 1911, with 2 loaded mags, in the night stand on his side, one loaded. The rounds had mold on them and were green, so did the springs. After cleaning them up and hitting them with WD40, they fired and operated just fine. The mags had been loaded for over 40 years and appeared to have no distortion or compression issues. Too bad the son wanted it. It would have been great to own a piece of history.

lostwake
03-15-09, 18:04
its not the spring i would be worried about, its the case. 30 rounds stuffed into a mag plus the pressure of the spring will make the mag balloon out and it wont drop freely after time. another problem is the mag will spit bullets back out at you before you get it full. that's the problem i have, i haven't had much experience with pmags (i only have one) but i have seen them split.

Ben Lenett
03-15-09, 18:14

The fact that the Mil guys are going to OEF/OIF to defend our country, and the cops will be riding around on the street defending our immediate lives of family and friends. If you are getting shot at by bad guys then you too go right to the top of the list in my book as well.

The two mags a non-Mil/LEO can buy a day are sufficient to protect your home at night, and if you go back a few times then you will have some to train with as well.

Priority goes to those in need. I don't think that anyone on this board would rather have ten PMAGs sitting in their closet for the once a month range trip, meanwhile a deploying soldier is upset because they can not grab any prior to deployment due to unavailability.

Bottom line....if you don't like it then shop elsewhere. I think BQ is a stand up company from my lengthy history with them and they look out for the grunt and cop in need.

Stay safe.

Ben

Artos
03-15-09, 19:39

I'm friends with leo from local to feds to military....for me, they need them more cuz they go out of their way to keep me free & from harm from the boogie man.

I once thought about getting my criminal justice degee & into the leo field of sorts, until I started reloading and understanding what side of the sights I wanted to be on.

Right now, my main job is to be around for the wife and kids for years to come & I got enough mags to have fun with and protect the fam & can wait till the demand to settles or find another brand that does the same job.

12oreo
03-15-09, 19:45

Maybe so but for less experienced people like me it is a logical question. I understand the search option also.

TehLlama
03-16-09, 20:46
The only way to wear out a magazine in a reasonable timeframe is using it in a weapon. A lot. If you can afford the ammunition to get anywhere close to this, you've already realized what breaks on a magazine from hard use.

If you're like me, and 98% of everybody here, keep them loaded, and cycle those rounds through in practice to verify function whenever budget and schedule permit.

damightyz
03-19-09, 20:59
Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions. It's great to see this forum active and full of participating members!

ldunnmobile
03-19-09, 22:13
My mags are always loaded. I find that they are harder to use unloaded.

ldunnmobile
03-19-09, 22:21
My mags are always loaded. I find that they are harder to use unloaded.

Barron Fields
03-20-09, 07:58
its not the spring i would be worried about, its the case. 30 rounds stuffed into a mag plus the pressure of the spring will make the mag balloon out and it wont drop freely after time.

So the spring pressure exceeds the modulus of elasticity of the housing?

To actually do that the magazine would have to bulge instantly, is that happening?

lostwake
03-20-09, 12:01
I find myself putting my aluminum mags in the vise to flatten them out. However my steel hk mag hold up great. I keep it stuffed with 32 rounds without any problems.

larry0071
03-20-09, 12:08
I find myself putting my aluminum mags in the vise to flatten them out. However my steel hk mag hold up great. I keep it stuffed with 32 rounds without any problems.

For the price of 5 Pmags... I hope it holds up! Too rich for my blood.

lostwake
03-20-09, 12:17
I didnt pay for the HK, It was a christmas present from a friend. After using it the price seems well worth it. It is almost indestructible. Im in the process of buying pmags, I only have one pmag and i havnt taked it out of the package yet

larry0071
03-20-09, 12:29
Then yer'a fixin ta fall in love! The Pmags are complete goodness...especially for the price. Grant has black window Pmags in stock right NOW! Go order a couple more!

lostwake
03-20-09, 12:33
I got mine from Ty(TNT) in black but right now im trying to get some in fde, to go with the magpul fde stock and grip i just got.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-09, 12:43
I noticed on Larry VIckers site that he says in his mag section:

3) Leave loaded only when necessary and rotate with fresh magazines monthly. This will increase the longevity of your magazines.

That seems contrary to the conventional wisdom here. Why would he suggest this way?

larry0071
03-20-09, 12:48
Is he refering to standard allum General Infantry mags, or is he talking about some brand/style in particular?

The GI mags will deform from spring pressure over time. You may not kill the spring, but you will deform the mag. Magpul P-Mags are (so far) good to go, especially if you utilize the included mag snap on covers. They push the top round down a hair-bi and relieve all pressure from the mags feed lip area.