PDA

View Full Version : Wish List

mdmmd1
03-10-09, 23:10
Hi all,
New to this forum. I am in the process of ordering my first AR. If money were no object what would you get as a base model? Standard or gas piston? Colt 6920 or other. I have it narrowed down to either a Colt 6920 or an LMT or LWHC piston rifle. Would love opinions and pros and cons for each. Or any other suggestions you may have. Thanks

Kimbo
03-11-09, 04:09
I'm new as well. Since money is not an issue why not get both DI and Piston? I'm currently waiting for my paperwork for my LWRC PSD. I'm also waiting to purchase a Noveske when they start stocking their weapons.

bkb0000
03-11-09, 04:29
i've never jumped onto the piston bandwagon, so i cant give any input there.. LMT, Colt and Noveske make the "best" rifles available to the American general public. I prefer LMT to Colt, basically just because of the SOPMOD stock. Colts are good guns, and the 6920 is vastly popular and hailed as an excellent weapon. If i were to buy a Colt, it would be a 6921, as it's a true carbine. there's another thread going on right now where we debate the 14.5" / 16" question- i think most folks who've spent a lot of trigger time on the M4 will agree 14.5 is always better than 16 for a carbine.

they're not available at this time, but the finest box-carbine in the galaxy is the Noveske N4 carbine.. since you mention money not being an object, I'm sure you could find one, eventually, in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 thousand. noveske WILL start taking orders for rifles again, someday, at which time you'd be able to pick up a N4 Basic for under $1,500

hope that helps some. read the stickies in the technical forum.

Sierra 1
03-11-09, 08:56
I would go with the Colt 6920 if you can get one. My second choice would be a LMT. I would go with the direct gas system over the piston gun. The guns were designed originally as a direct gas system and they work very well in that configuration. The piston guns are prone to breakage sooner due to the fact that they were originally designed to be a direct gas system and reengineered to be a piston gun.

Dave L.
03-11-09, 09:00
Hi all,
New to this forum. I am in the process of ordering my first AR. If money were no object what would you get as a base model? Standard or gas piston? Colt 6920 or other. I have it narrowed down to either a Colt 6920 or an LMT or LWHC piston rifle. Would love opinions and pros and cons for each. Or any other suggestions you may have. Thanks

For your first AR, I would get the 6920 or an LMT(non piston), I have a couple of each. They are great guns and if you buy from E-guns, Bravo Co. or G&R Tactical when they are in stock, you will not pay the insane Gun Broker Prices.

Again: There is no need to spend over the normal price(MSRP) on this stuff.

mdmmd1
03-11-09, 09:52
I agree. When I say price is not an object, I don't mean I am independently wealthy with thousands to blow. I just mean I don't mind spending a few hundred more on the creme-dells-creme. Sounds like it's either going to be a 6920 or a noveske if it becomes available. Sounds like the piston guns are not quite there yet. Thanks for all your input.

artyldr01
03-12-09, 01:06
I just FINALLY was able to have my first "AR" completed, but it took time and patience. I initially wanted something as close to possible as my military issue without the three round burst. That meant a 14.5" with 1/7 twist. A Colt would be the MOST like it but I don't know how to find a 14.5" Colt upper at a price I wanted to pay. I love Noveske, but they didn't have (though would have made) the quote "M4 profile barrel" (the M203 step). That left LMT. I ordered the upper NOV 5th while still in Kuwait on the way home...it arrived Dec 23rd. I bought it directly from their website (due to mil/leo discount). I shipped it and the Vltor VC-1 to ADCO for permanently affixing.

I decided on an LMT lower A: because I'm OCD and wanted my upper and lower to match :D and B: then decided that an Ambi-safety would be nice (being a southpaw). It took a great deal of patience (of which I have very little) but I received my lower (transferred through a local gun store) from smallarmsales.com. I got the lower for @420.00. (including 6% tax and shipping).

Long story short...I thought a LOT about what I wanted and why then had to be patient to actually get it. Now I am VERY pleased!

bkb0000
03-12-09, 01:36
I just FINALLY was able to have my first "AR" completed, but it took time and patience. I initially wanted something as close to possible as my military issue without the three round burst. That meant a 14.5" with 1/7 twist. A Colt would be the MOST like it but I don't know how to find a 14.5" Colt upper at a price I wanted to pay. I love Noveske, but they didn't have (though would have made) the quote "M4 profile barrel" (the M203 step). That left LMT. I ordered the upper NOV 5th while still in Kuwait on the way home...it arrived Dec 23rd. I bought it directly from their website (due to mil/leo discount). I shipped it and the Vltor VC-1 to ADCO for permanently affixing.

I decided on an LMT lower A: because I'm OCD and wanted my upper and lower to match :D and B: then decided that an Ambi-safety would be nice (being a southpaw). It took a great deal of patience (of which I have very little) but I received my lower (transferred through a local gun store) from smallarmsales.com. I got the lower for @420.00. (including 6% tax and shipping).

Long story short...I thought a LOT about what I wanted and why then had to be patient to actually get it. Now I am VERY pleased!

well start a new thread and post pics, man

hossb7
03-12-09, 02:09
misread what you were asking for.

if i was starting from scratch and money was no option i'd get a Colt 6920

artyldr01
03-12-09, 08:14
well start a new thread and post pics, man

Will do!

adrenaline151
03-12-09, 09:46
I'm not sold on the piston guns yet, although I'm sure they're great guns, I just wouldn't get rid of a DI gun to replace with a piston. Someday it would be nice to have both, though. Also, with a DI rifle, you can get a piston kit for it, or even a whole upper, if you really feel the need.
Right now, for a base gun, I would suggest a Daniel Defense. I haven't had the chance to get any hands-on experience with one, but they appear to be well made, have a lot of high end features, and seem to be pretty readily available. Right now you can find them for around $1500 if you look hard enough, but you shouldn't have to pay more than $1600 anywhere.
I've also never shot a colt, or had the chance to look at them when I knew what to look at, so I can't really judge them, other than a lot of people think they are tip-top, and for the price, it would seem so.
Also, SGC USA has Noveske uppers at the moment, so you could go that route, and I don't think anyone would argue that Noveske is the best you can get for the money. That being said, I would not spend $2500 on a Noveske upper, or $4500 on a rifle. Especially knowing that it could be any day when Noveske starts taking orders again and you could get one straight from John for $1500-$2000, depending on what you're looking for.