PDA

View Full Version : WTK: what is the best way to clean a Camelbak?

MEANGREEN
06-23-06, 21:29
I'm looking for any suggestions for cleaning a Camelbak reservior.

I know that Camelbak sells the cleaning tablets, but are there

any cheaper alternatives that will work (like dishwasher soap)?

I know REI use to carry a cleaning solution, but didn't see it the

last time I was there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harv
06-23-06, 22:08
I have never used a cleaning solution to clean any of my Hydration systems. All I do is drain them and stuff some paper towels in them and let them hang on a Hanger for a few days. Then I remove the paper towels and let them dry completely. if their is not moisture left in them, you won't have a problem.

To clean the tube, I use a One piece cleaning rod and run a clean patch thru it and let it hang as well until it air drys.

I know some who pour in a little mouthwash and slosh it around inside the bladder as well.

I've used Hydration systems for years and never had issues with my method of cleaning them. just my experience.

Resq47
06-23-06, 23:07
I've had great luck with just leaving standard tap water in mine. My oldest CB is around 10y or so, and I think I might have sloshed some bleach in it once when I made the mistake of using a sports drink in it and letting it sit. In my experience they're like nalgenes, use only normal water in them and they're useful forever (or until they split). Leave some wazoo drink in for 5min unattended and they're funky until the end-times.

I can't justify the CB brand cleaning kit, but I've thought about using the sanitizer tabs used with homebrew setups. HCl or iodine is cheaper though...

eggroll
06-24-06, 11:37
hot water, rinse, Hydrogen peroxide, rinse dry using one of those CB tray inserts

Sweep
06-24-06, 13:35
try baking soda and water

MEANGREEN
06-25-06, 00:43
Thanks fellas for the suggestions.

Yojimbo
06-25-06, 11:52
hot water, rinse, Hydrogen peroxide, rinse dry using one of those CB tray inserts

Eggroll,

How much Hydrogen Peroxide should be used for a 100oz bladder?

kennytx
07-01-06, 08:20
Meangreen,

Try www.nashbar.com. (bicycle supply company) Shop by brand to find it.

They sell the camelback cleaning tablets. I believe they are a lot cheaper than REI.

Kenny

yasnevo
07-16-06, 19:26
Nah... go and get a box of Efferdent... the stuff that older folks use to clean dentures... it works like a charm... really.

In fact, I bet its the same as the tablets that Camelback uses...

Y-

Derek_Connor
07-16-06, 23:32
2nd baking soda...

fill up your bladder with very warm water half way, drop a TBSP in, then fill it up 100%.

Shake it around, proceed to rinse.

gtg.

Vinnie
07-30-06, 22:53
I'd stay away from the dishwasher soap. If you dont get ALL of it out and I mean ALL of it {the soap that is} you will be spending most of your day clamped to the nearest head. Just my 2 cents

blackwind
08-22-06, 00:53
A few years ago I bought the long "bore brush" for the CB tube and a wire handle bag brush for my CB cleaning needs. About a year ago I also bout the CB bag insert for fast air drying. As for actual solution I have always used standard baking soda in a bag 3/4 filled. slosh it around and presto...air dry.