PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Carry

ncfishman
03-11-09, 22:31
Suggestions? Pics? Offers?
Looking for something small that packs a decent punch.

Gentoo
03-11-09, 22:44
Ruger LCP or Smith 442 seem to be very popular choices.

ncfishman
03-11-09, 22:49
Don't want to start a fight, but not looking for revolvers. The ruger is a choice I was unaware of though.

HowardCohodas
03-12-09, 03:10
LCP in DeSantis Super Fly (without flap)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/HowardCohodas/Gun%20Stuff/LCP%20Stuff/pocketcarry.jpg

woodandsteel
03-12-09, 04:56
LCP in DeSantis Super Fly (without flap)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/HowardCohodas/Gun%20Stuff/LCP%20Stuff/pocketcarry.jpg

How do you like the "Super Fly" Holster? I carry my LCP in a "Nemesis" holster. I find that the Nemsis floats around in the pocket. There is really nothing on the outside part of the holster to grab onto the pocket.

crossgun
03-12-09, 05:22
Hasn’t the Ruger had numerous recalls in its fairly short life? Not sure I would trust my life with it especially when you’re behind the curve caliber wise do to size.

With spring and summer coming, I definitely understand the need. What about a KelTec?

HowardCohodas
03-12-09, 05:24
How do you like the "Super Fly" Holster? I carry my LCP in a "Nemesis" holster. I find that the Nemsis floats around in the pocket. There is really nothing on the outside part of the holster to grab onto the pocket.

I never had a Nemesis. The Super Fly is supposed to be "stickier." That's why I chose it.

They is not much room to float with the flashlight in "front" of the holster. I've never had a drawing problem. The holster stays put as advertised.

I hope I answered your question.

HowardCohodas
03-12-09, 05:38
Hasn’t the Ruger had numerous recalls in its fairly short life? Not sure I would trust my life with it especially when you’re behind the curve caliber wise do to size.

With spring and summer coming, I definitely understand the need. What about a KelTec?

Recall... Only one recall. Voluntary due to 3 reported AD's from dropping on hard surface. Save me from rehashing the whole issue by reviewing the material on the LCP forum. http://LCPforum.com/

Caliber... I'll let DocGKR deal with that issue. The LCP is my EDC BUG when I'm out and about, Summer, Winter, Fall and Spring. It is sometimes my primary around the house.

KelTec... Same caliber. Some say should have had a recall. I'm not qualified to judge.

RWK
03-12-09, 07:22
Don't want to start a fight, but not looking for revolvers. The ruger is a choice I was unaware of though.

Just out of curiosity, why no revolvers?

I'mGatMan!
03-12-09, 07:52
Just out of curiosity, why no revolvers?

I was wondering the same. I would MUCH rather have .38 than .380, and the 442 is just a great piece. I owned an LCP for exactly two days. Had multiple failures with it. With a ClipDraw, it makes a nice BUG for appendix carry, but with my 442, I can carry "Mexican," and be pretty confident that I won't have an ND.

Not trying to flame here, but I have a buddy who has helped me throughout my process of becoming an armed citizen, and when I suggested to him that I might get a small .38 snubby, he heckled me, calling it an "old-man's gun." About two weeks ago he picked up a 642, and he's LOVING the thing as a bug. Hell, I even where mine out and about for quick runs in a pair of basketball shorts and a white tee.

If you've not tried one out, ya might want to give it a shot. It'll carry well inside the pocket, too.

Jason

John_Wayne777
03-12-09, 07:53
Suggestions? Pics? Offers?
Looking for something small that packs a decent punch.

Some sort of S&W J frame is going to be the pocket gun that packs the bare minimum of "punch" necessary for a primary handgun, in my opinion. They adapt well to pocket carry either as a primary or a backup piece, they are extremely reliable, and with the addition of CT Laser Grips they are more capable than most people realize.

I own the Ruger LCP and I carry it on occasion as a tertiary handgun, but I don't consider it to be potent enough to use as a primary carry gun. It's certainly better than fingernails, but it's not something I would carry as a primary defensive tool unless I really had no other choice. Mine has been reliable through about 600 rounds so far, but small automatics are not known for their reliability. A CT laser module is of great benefit to the LCP (and similar handguns) as well.

EDIT -- as for your "no revolvers" stance, I strongly urge you to reconsider. There is a reason why the J frame is probably S&W's all-time best selling handgun. There is a reason why S&W has a wide variety of small, light, concealable revolvers in their lineup. The S&W J frame is quite possibly THE most practical handgun ever invented. They certainly aren't perfect, but it is extremely difficult to find another weapon that combines concealability, reliability, power, safety, and versatility like the J frame.

ToddG
03-12-09, 09:45
Ruger LCP or Smith 442 seem to be very popular choices.

I have, and have carried, both as BUGs and rare-occasion primaries. The LCP is with me every day, now.

One recall. No question, the gun has suffered some growing pains. Mine has been 100% post-recall.

The .380 isn't a .45; the .45 isn't a .308; the .308 isn't a .50; the .50 isn't a 16" naval gun. Carry something bigger when you can, sure. But the .380 beats the hell out of having nothing at all, and there are times I can carry my LCP (due to environment or clothing restrictions) that I'd otherwise be unarmed.

ncfishman
03-12-09, 09:46
I knew the no revolver comment would get ya'll going. Just looking for a small semi for pocket carry, call it personal prefrence.

The kel tec is certainly on the list.

Buckaroo
03-12-09, 10:01
I have owned two P3ATs and both have been great guns. I had two for awhile but sold one to buy a Taurus 605 (the poor mans Snubby). I put Crimson Trace grips on it and really like having a choice between tiny and small weapons to choose from.

I just picked up an Armalaser for the P3AT that is my always gun. It has no useful sights and yes I assume that I will be point shooting at .380 distances, but it gives a measure of comfort just in case...

It even slips into my pajama pockets!

Most difficult now is finding .380 ammo. Cabela's was totally out yesterday. Good thing I have a stash. I did order some from sportsman's warehouse last week.

Just my $.02

Buckaroo

ToddG
03-12-09, 10:14
Between the P3AT and the LCP, I much prefer the LCP.

From the samples I've used, the LCP is much more accurate especially at greater distances. The LCP is more likely to be properly regulated (POA=POI). Kel-Tec had the same exact issue that caused the LCP recall, but instead of recalling old guns they simply changed production so the new guns wouldn't have the problem; so while Ruger took extremely costly and embarrassing steps to make sure we weren't walking around with guns that could go off when dropped, KT simply decided it wasn't a big enough risk to worry about.

My expectation is that the LCP will prove to be more robust over time, as well.

the_fallguy
03-12-09, 10:35

They were essentially the same pistol when the LCP came out. Ruger recalled it for a redesigned part but Keltec still hasn't after all this time. That tells me a little bit about both companies.

Ruger pays for overnight shipping to and from the factory, and gives you a free magazine for your trouble. I still haven't had any luck with Kel-Tec after trying to get a dummy gun from them for almost two years. I know who would get my money....

ncfishman
03-12-09, 10:39
how do the ruger and keltec compare pricewise?

woodandsteel
03-12-09, 10:56
When I got my LCP, back in May, I paid $290 plus tax. that brought it to about $310. The Kel-tecs were in the $270 range.

Just checking on Gunbroker, I see some LCP's are bidding close to the $400 range :confused:. One dealer has a Buy Now price of $370. Wow! this panick buying is getting out of hand.

I love my LCP. But, for that much, I would look at a S&W 442, or look at one of the newer .380s coming out.

eta: forget what I said about the newer .380's. They are even more expensive.

HowardCohodas
03-12-09, 12:41
how do the ruger and keltec compare pricewise?

The resource I use to gauge these questions is the facility on GunBroker that permits you to review auctions that have closed. I believe you need to be a member to access this capability. I use a 30 day horizon and check closed auctions that have ended in a sale.

Using this method gives you a good measure of the market because they are real sales, not auction starting prices. It also gives you a measure of the frequency of actual sales so you can decide if it is worth your time to use GunBroker as an acquisition path. 30 days is my horizon, but you can select other time frames.

ncfishman
03-12-09, 12:47
what about 9mms, I know keltec has the PF9. are there other similar sized ones? what are your experiences/opinions on them.

LDM
03-12-09, 13:08
I have a PF9 and to date it has been flawless.
One proviso- at the risk of hurting someone's feeling, I would term KelTecs semi-finished. Highly recommend a Fluff&Buff (i.e. detail strip, deburr, and polish; Google "Fluff & Buff" for directions or go to KelTec owner web site).
The PF9 is not fun to shoot, nor is it intended to be shot a lot. It is light and after a few full power 9mm rounds your hand knows it. It is lightly constructed, so we are not talking thousands of rounds.
It is very concealable: flat and light. You almost have to make up excuses to not carry it. Works well with an appendix carry, maybe just a bit big for true pocket carry, unless it is a coat pocket.
I think if you consider what the PF9 is (and what it isn't), it is a good weapon.
I guess I'd call it an auxiliary and/or backup weapon.
Stay safe.

the_fallguy
03-12-09, 13:17
When I worked in a local gun shop, the slide stop actually broke on a PF9 while a customer was handling it. It had never even been loaded, let alone fired. It also had issues with the magazine release, IIRC. Kel-Tec has some good ideas, but in my experience they don't execute them well when it comes to construction or materials.

I would sooner recommend the Kahr P9 or the PM9 if you want something even smaller. If money is a concern you might consider the CW9 as well, assuming you don't plan to use tritium sights in the future. I have carried a TP9 and an MK9 as my EDC pistol, both of which proved to be accurate and dependable. My father-in-law currently carries a CW9, and holds it in high regard.

If you are already familiar with a pistol that employs the use of a paddle style magazine release located under the trigger guard, like the Walther P99 or a current H&K pistol, I would recommend the Walther PPS. It is very compact, and the ones I have handled were capable of holding there own with my P7 in terms of accuracy (and that's saying something IMO).

ST911
03-12-09, 13:17
For pocket carry, I like J-frames (642/442) and G27s.

I have a P3AT as BUG only, usually for gun #4+.

As for P3AT vs. LCP, the LCP can be considered a "product improved P3AT." The P3AT remains serviceable, however.

There's a Kahr I liked in the pocket too, p/n escapes me. If passing on the venerable J-frames, I'm more apt to choose the Kahr over the LCP/P3AT.

A brace of 642s in the front pockets can be pretty handy.

Ed L.
03-13-09, 14:00
Here is a picture of my two pocket guns in Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. Believe it or not, I ahve found that the uncle mike's pocket holsters work best.

Below is a picture of my Kahr PM-9 and S&W 640:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/eds-stuff/pockguns.jpg

The PM-9 is shorter and flatter and concealable within suit pants. Most pants come with shallow pockets, necessitating taking them to the tailor to have the pocket deepened.

My PM-9 worked fine except for one burp within the first two magazines. The gun's instruction book says they require a break-in peiod of about 200 rounds of ball ammo. Mine has had more than that number of hollowpoints without a problem.

The other gun is the S&W 640. This prints a bit too much for dress slacks or suit pants at work, but is fine in casual pants like dockers or 5-11s, providing you have had a tailor deepen the pocket. While the S&W 640 doesn't hold as many rounds as the Kahr PM-9, the shape of its grip makes it easier to grasp out of the pocket. It is not a problem carrying conceall=ed when out and about, but could be a bit bulky for wearing at work where you see the same people every day and may brush against them in close quarters like a copy machine room.

The great thing about pocket guns is once you get used to them they are very comfortable. Also, if need be you can have your hand on the gun and ready to draw, while to casual observers it appears that you simply have your hand in your pocket.