PDA

View Full Version : TapouT Co-founder dies in car crash

VooDoo6Actual
03-11-09, 23:05
redaction.

QuickStrike
03-12-09, 05:44
Not a fan of their marketting style or products. Lots of guys wear their shirts to be trendy and tough...

Wish I could find some Inspirit shorts though, as no one but the real fans would know of the name. :cool:

rob_s
03-12-09, 06:03
Even though Tapout has become the visible product line that it is (with all of the attendant poseurs and haters that come along with that) they have done a lot for the sport in terms of finding, sponsoring, and promoting young fighters. I loved the show on VS. for this very reason, even if I found some of their antics to be a little irritating.

R/Tdrvr
03-12-09, 10:39
Can't say I feel sorry for the idiot seeing as how he was street racing and put the life of a passenger in danger. I'm just glad he didn't take out any other innocent people.

Bigboote
03-12-09, 10:56
Inspirit is the Sprawl of Japan. QuickStrike, you can sometimes find Inspirit fight shorts online at MMAStop.

rubberneck
03-12-09, 11:23
I wonder how fast you have to be going to split a Ferrari in half. What a stupid way to die and even worse his passenger is going to have life long issues to deal with, if she even survives. Just plain stupid.

variablebinary
03-12-09, 12:05
Street racing = stupid

However Tapout gets lots of MMA figthers paid, where in the past you could be a top flight MMA fighter and still have to live off ramen noodles

cobra90gt
03-12-09, 12:12
Yet another case of "high performance car, low performance driver."

Rider79
03-12-09, 13:14
He was in the nightclub I work at with the other Tapout owner after the last UFC fight we had in town a little while back. I don't pay much attention to the UFC so it wasn't that big a deal. Sorry to see this happen though, regardless of how foolish his actions were.

wargasm
03-12-09, 13:52
Indeed his last act was lethal to himself, and life threatening to his passenger. However, he and his partners managed to build a small empire for themselves, grinding it out from show to show, from the trunks of their cars. He gave back to the sport of MMA by finding, recruiting, sponsoring, and actually paying his sponsored fighters! Some fighters showed their appreciation to him by dropping TAPOUT as a sponsor and jumping on some other slick corporate gravy train when they felt they became too big to wear TAPOUT britches. Mask never wavered, and continued his style of management, with no apologies, because business is business, but always making sure that friendships were intact, and strays were always welcome back to the fold. Regardless of how any of us thinks of TAPOUT and the main man behind it, he realized the "American Dream", "The American Way"!
R.I.P. Mask 3-11-2009

10MMGary
03-12-09, 18:38
I can't help but wonder if his partners bought him the Ferrari:confused::eek:

Blue Pilgrim
03-13-09, 15:21
I remember meeting the founders when I was training in the Bay area of California back in 1997. If I remember correctly it was a Rage in the Cage at a bar in Compton. I still have their first bussiness card that was a cheap black and white print from a simple paper photo copier, with their original line design of a guy giving a guy the Mate Leon. I bought one of their first shirts and still have it with me. Simple white shirt with a simple slogan on the back. This was before the antics, the make-up etc.

They put a lot into the sport and I have to admit they were there always supporting the sport and the fighters.

You might not agree with their antics, promotional ways etc. but they were much more of a positive for the sport than any of the con-promoters that jumped on the MMA bandwagon etc. in smaller wannabe shows.

How he died was sad, but you make your own bed and it was his own "antics" that put him where he was and unfortuneately it looks like he may be taking an inncocent person with him.

RIP