PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Lights

Dport
12-18-06, 14:25
A little change of pace here. Not in anyway gun-related.

Last Friday I finally found time to get my Christmas tree. Three graduate level courses and a full time job don't give me much time to do the normal living life stuff, like shooting, going to the movies, getting a Christmas tree, etc.

Saturday the tree is sitting in the living room. The wife is at work. So I decide to string the lights. This is the one part of Christmas tree decorating that ALWAYS leads to arguments in the dport household. So much so we bought an artificial tree with lights already installed. I figured doing this while she was at work was the smart move.

So instead of breaking out the regular C9 multicolored lights that have the multi-function control box, and trying to put enough lights on the tree to warn away wayward mariners, I got the C7 lights out. No multi-function control box, no random twinkle, no chasers, no fades, just 50 bulbs constant on.

These aren't as large as the lights I remember at grandma's house years and years ago, but they aren't those wussy little lights either. (Boy do they generate HEAT!) It had been a long time since I had to switch out bulbs in order not to have too many reds or greens in one area.

So what's my point? No point really. Sometimes, when life is really hectic, it's just nice to do something simple like string lights on a Christmas tree and get back to the basics.

When your out and about this holiday season and you're bustling from one store to the next or trying to spend equal amounts of time with the various members of the family and you're getting stressed over the holiday season, remember to stand back, doing something simple, get back to basics, and enjoy the underlying simplicity of the holiday season.

Glockster35
12-18-06, 17:11
I would have to agree with you on this, in the past several years, I have really tried to go all out on the Christmas tree, because we were in Germany, and I wanted my kids to feel like we were at home, and not notice the rest of our extrended families weren';t anywhere nearby us.

This year, we are back in the states, money is tight, and there isn't going to be much under the tree. This year, we have barely decorated the house, but the tree, is as simple as I can get it. Non-blinking white lights, a bit of chrome beads, and a few select ornamants, mostly hand made or otherwise sentimental.

I also have decided to work through the Christmas season (without extra pay of course), and will enjoy 6 days off around the New Years (So I can wallow in my sorrows, and enjoy the good drink).

To you and yours! Enjoy the season, but don't forget the reason for the season! It is far too commercial for me anymore anyway!

mark5pt56
12-19-06, 07:01
I would have to agree with you on this, in the past several years, I have really tried to go all out on the Christmas tree, because we were in Germany, and I wanted my kids to feel like we were at home, and not notice the rest of our extrended families weren';t anywhere nearby us.

This year, we are back in the states, money is tight, and there isn't going to be much under the tree. This year, we have barely decorated the house, but the tree, is as simple as I can get it. Non-blinking white lights, a bit of chrome beads, and a few select ornamants, mostly hand made or otherwise sentimental.

I also have decided to work through the Christmas season (without extra pay of course), and will enjoy 6 days off around the New Years (So I can wallow in my sorrows, and enjoy the good drink).

To you and yours! Enjoy the season, but don't forget the reason for the season! It is far too commercial for me anymore anyway!

My opinion is that in Germany there's more tradition in Christmas and everyday life.

Did you ever make it to one of the markets during the season? The one in Rothenburg was nice as well as the one in Frankfurt by the Romer.

DrMark
12-19-06, 07:58
Nice post, Dport.

:)

Glockster35
12-19-06, 11:05
Yes, how could you not enjoy the holidays in Germany.Nothing beats the gluwine.

mark5pt56
12-19-06, 12:13
Yes, how could you not enjoy the holidays in Germany.Nothing beats the gluwine.

That's right! Nothing like it. I do miss those times.

9x19
12-19-06, 18:36
I really liked Christmas in Germany. It was much less commercialized than in the US. Going to the Christkindlmarkt was great, drinking Glühwein," walking from stall to stall shopping, and eating wurst with spicy mustard. I still have many of the Christmas ornaments that I bought at Kathe Wolfarht's in Rothenburg.

mark5pt56
12-19-06, 20:24
I tell you this, if anyone can afford to go there(I went with Uncle Sam) go during this time or at least during a real October Fest in Munich.

There's so many other places to go like the Margraten(awakening)
http://www.heroesforever.nl/The%20Cemetery.htm
Neuschwanstein Castle, Garmisch.

Dport
12-20-06, 18:04
enough lights on the tree to warn away wayward mariners

No one thought that was funny? Damn.:(