PDA

View Full Version : pro gun/gun related quotes

rwp096
03-12-09, 10:04
hi guys I'm a senior in high school and i've been following this forum for about 2 months..and i really like it better than most other gun forums out there. Anyways we have to turn in our senior quotes this week and i really want to do a pro 2nd ammendment one. I couldn't really find any good ones when i searched google. And i would rather it be from someone that is pretty well known and it should be somewhat school appropriate( even though the 2nd ammendment and schools have been into somewhat of an oxymoron by the media);) any help would be greatly appreciated

Abraxas
03-12-09, 10:37
You might check out this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1304&highlight=Quotes

thopkins22
03-12-09, 11:25
Here's one of my favorites, from one of the most respected pacifists(of all people,) in history.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi in his autobiography, "Gandhi: An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth."

Before you put this in a paper, I'd suggest finding a copy to source as I may be butchering it a little.

HowardCohodas
03-12-09, 11:35
hi guys I'm a senior in high school and i've been following this forum for about 2 months..and i really like it better than most other gun forums out there. Anyways we have to turn in our senior quotes this week and i really want to do a pro 2nd ammendment one. I couldn't really find any good ones when i searched google. And i would rather it be from someone that is pretty well known and it should be somewhat school appropriate( even though the 2nd ammendment and schools have been into somewhat of an oxymoron by the media);) any help would be greatly appreciated

It is a hard thing to pick quotes that will resonate with others, but I'll give it my best.

I will limit it to my five best choices. The list may change throughout the day as I consider others and perhaps replace ones I like less.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?

The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police.

BAC
03-12-09, 11:42
I recommend not using any quotes that you cannot verify the correctness and context of, without exception.

-B

thopkins22
03-12-09, 11:56
I recommend not using any quotes that you cannot verify the correctness and context of, without exception.

-B

Big +1. I don't know how your school operates, but hopefully they have you use MLA rules for citations(or something similar.) It's why I said, find that quote yourself in his autobiography. There are enough legitimate pro gun quotes out there that there is zero reason to fudge one and appear to be reaching for something that doesn't exist.

Even if your high school doesn't require proper citations, go ahead and do it. You'll have to once you get to college, and learning how in advance will save you a lot of grief.

Gentoo
03-12-09, 15:09
Big +1. I don't know how your school operates, but hopefully they have you use MLA rules for citations(or something similar.) It's why I said, find that quote yourself in his autobiography. There are enough legitimate pro gun quotes out there that there is zero reason to fudge one and appear to be reaching for something that doesn't exist.

Even if your high school doesn't require proper citations, go ahead and do it. You'll have to once you get to college, and learning how in advance will save you a lot of grief.

+100

Get the actual book from the library, too and don't just rely on 2nd hand sources. Submit it MLA as suggested or APA style. There are plenty of resources online on how to do it properly, if you have any questions post em, I am sure you can find someone to help.

losbronces
03-12-09, 17:26
+100

Get the actual book from the library, too and don't just rely on 2nd hand sources. Submit it MLA as suggested or APA style. There are plenty of resources online on how to do it properly, if you have any questions post em, I am sure you can find someone to help.

Related to the comments above, do not rely on Wikipedia as a legitimate source of information.

Nathan_Bell
03-12-09, 18:05
For a scholarly work you will need to find out what style is required to notate your quotation.
Most colleges offer the use of their databases for research and they have much stronger search set ups than google, if you know where to start.

That said, one of my favorite gun quotes, which is sometimes shot down as being apocryphal.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

rat31465
03-12-09, 18:07
A decent site for quotes.....http://americanrevival.org/quotes/2a.htm

My personal fav is a classic.....

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.