PDA

View Full Version : Sex offender kills 13 year old teen while under GPS monitoring, police say

variablebinary
03-12-09, 13:38
Say it once, say it 1000 times, violent sex offenders can only be cured with a bullet to the back of the head. When will we start learning this as a society? How many kids are going to end up on milk cartons because this simple fact doesnt sink in with lawmakers.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/12/sex.offender.gps/index.html

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/03/12/sex.offender.gps/art.licy1.jpg

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/M_IMAGE.11f5fb26346.93.88.fa.d0.458d1367.jpg

Sanford's History
Darrin Eugene Sanford was convicted in 1998 of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and two counts of luring minors with sexual motivation. He was placed on probation, which he violated three times before he was arrested in connection with Alycia Nipp's murder:

• On November 15, 2006, Sanford was jailed for failing to register as a sex offender. He was released July 31, 2008, and ordered to wear a GPS anklet.

• He was then detained August 20 for being in contact with a minor and failing to register. He was released October 19, again with an ankle bracelet.

• On November 24, authorities arrested Sanford for a misdemeanor property violation. He was released with a GPS device January 3, just 49 days before Licy's murder.

-- Source: Washington Department of Corrections

http://media.kval.com/images/090223_darrin_sanford.jpg

VANCOUVER, Washington (CNN) -- When 13-year-old Alycia Nipp didn't come home from a trip to Wal-Mart, her family had no idea where she was, but a tracking device was transmitting the location of her alleged killer.

The quirky seventh-grader, who went by "Licy," could tell you the origin of every neon drinking straw in her collection and she "sewed buttons on everything," said her aunt, Amber Hager.

Her family thinks her free-spirited nature may be the reason she walked through a field popular with transients -- a field she'd been warned to stay away from and where her body was found February 22.

Licy's family had reason to be cautious. Hager was raped twice as a teen and Licy's grandmother was kidnapped as a child, Hager said, so the family was extra vigilant with Licy and Hager's young daughters.

"We all made Licy the promise that it would never happen to her. The cycle would end," said Hager, who is acting as family spokeswoman. "Now we're left wondering: What didn't we say? What didn't we do? How come she didn't listen?"

Darrin Sanford, 30, was one of several homeless people living near the field in an abandoned home slated for demolition, police said.

He was convicted in 1998 of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and luring minors with sexual motivation; he was sentenced to probation, said a Clark County sheriff's report. When he was released from jail in January, following a November probation violation, Sanford was fitted with a global positioning tracking unit on his ankle, according to the Washington Department of Corrections

Sanford was wearing the device seven weeks later when he tried to rape Licy before beating and stabbing her in a field a couple of blocks from the street where she lived, according to police.

Authorities said they used GPS to corroborate Sanford's confession. A Clark County judge this week postponed his arraignment until June so the defense and prosecution can prepare for death penalty arguments.

Sanford's defense attorney Michael Foister declined to comment on the allegations against his client.

HES
03-12-09, 13:59
I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent fellow capable of thought and reason and not given into fits of passion. Having said that if someone is a sexual predator (not the difference between offender and predator) then I say one .45 round through the skull, billed to his estate, is the only viable solution to these monsters.

FLGator
03-12-09, 14:08
If child molesters run free to kill kids ....WHO ARE WE KEEPING IN PRISON? Lets release all thieves and drug dealers now to make room if we have to. And yes, death penalty even better.

John_Wayne777
03-12-09, 14:19
Not to hammer the family, but they don't sound very cautious to me if they let their 13 year old girl walk to places like Wal-Mart alone...especially if they know there's a hobo hangout between the house and wally-world.

Iraqgunz
03-12-09, 15:21
Let me say this. Having worked for Washington State DOC I am not shocked by this. I also worked in the main facility where sex offenders were housed. They are handled with kid gloves and coddled. When I was going through my INDOC training I believe that we were told that sex offenders have the highest rate of recidivism among all offenders. Many of them had a history of behavior well before they were apprehended. I personally think that they should be locked up for good or put out to the pastures.

shadowalker
03-12-09, 15:45
More proof that sex offenders can not be "fixed." There is something fundamentally wrong with them, just like sociopaths.

It is sad, many of them live tortured lives but our responsibility is not to getting them back into society, it is in protecting society from them.

Even when the victim survives sex crimes haunt the victim for the rest of their lives, more so than many other crimes.

By the time that a sex offender has been caught unless he is extremely unlikely he has victimized many more than just the victim that got him or her caught.

We clearly need to be more effective at keeping them out of society, whether that be life in prison or the death penalty, of which I favor the latter.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-12-09, 15:59
More proof that sex offenders can not be "fixed." There is something fundamentally wrong with them, just like sociopaths.

Oh yes they can be 'fixed', with a rusty spoon.

Not to hammer the family, but they don't sound very cautious to me if they let their 13 year old girl walk to places like Wal-Mart alone...especially if they know there's a hobo hangout between the house and wally-world.

13 is pretty old, that's a freshman in highschool. Sounds like she fought like a devil, but was up against a demon.

Did people like this just dissappear, say before WWII? It sure seems they are hard wired into this, so it's prevelance and presentation shouldn't change over time, it just seems like there are more of them. Just as female teachers kanoodling with students was shoved under the rug, where these guys just, uhm 'recycled'? Or were they in mental institutions?

Bad guys always have three names.

Couldn't you make it so that the GPS collars had microphones so that when it heard screams, it shocked the guy? Bet he'd get his brakes fixed on his car fast.

John_Wayne777
03-12-09, 16:03
13 is pretty old, that's a freshman in highschool. Sounds like she fought like a devil, but was up against a demon.

Freshman in high school or not, she'd still be a small, weak female alone traveling on foot in an area where scumbags are known to hang out. That's a no-go in my world.

Triton28
03-12-09, 16:51
Good points all around.

This guy should have eaten a bullet a long time ago.

13 year old girls shouldn't be allowed to walk through a known vagrant hideout.

Seems like common sense to me.

MarkC
03-12-09, 17:05

No kidding. WTF is wrong with that picture, especially considering that her aunt was a rape victim herself.

Gutshot John
03-12-09, 17:21
Two words keep popping into my head "bullet" and "brain".

If memory serves kids do what kids do, you can't always blame parents. They think they're immortal and do what they want, no matter what their parents say. I know I did. It sounds like they warned her, but outside of chaining to her bed I don't know what they could have done.

No matter what their poor decisions, they and certainly their daughter did not deserve this fate. I'm not sure a person should be on probation, especially with a tracker should be living in a field for transients.

All of this could have been avoided if he had been in jail where he belonged.

SeriousStudent
03-12-09, 18:46

This guy should have eaten a bullet a long time ago.

Indeed. Seems a shame to let all the wild pigs around here starve.

- Said the father of a 16-year-old girl.

adrenaline151
03-12-09, 19:09
There'll be room for him in a prison somewhere, now that the terrorists are being released. Thing is, he'll probably only do 10-12 years max, if he doesn't get released before then, you never know, he might even get pardoned. He'll have a few rough nights, but he will spend the next handful of years kicking back in a warm bed, eating food we're paying for and playing all the latest video games.
Almost makes you think it'd be worth him doing it, if you could just catch him in the act. Of course it wouldn't, but I have a feeling if any one of us had, prison time wouldn't be a option for him.

MarkC
03-12-09, 19:15

Sex offenders, especially child molesters, don't belong in jail. That's what cemeteries are for.

Cohibra45
03-13-09, 09:53
Did people like this just disappear, say before WWII? It sure seems they are hard wired into this, so it's prevelance and presentation shouldn't change over time, it just seems like there are more of them.

Back home growing up, there were always rumors of people like him not being around anymore. You always heard that saying "we take care of our own". This might have been taken literally back in the day. Most of the time, I believe if it did happen though, it was performed during the act and probably with the 'knowledge' of local law (county deputies).

I know that this is vigilantism and totally taking the law into a persons hand, but if I found a person molesting my son...........I'm sure I'm not alone in what would occur. The problem now is getting away with it. It seems that only scum gets away with murder and decent people that would kill this 'person' would get the chair. No true justice anymore.....

Killing scum like this might not help him recover, but sure would prevent more occurrences!!! Too many people like this get released every day and just go back to the same old acts. Like a previous poster said, how long will society allow these people to be put back on the street???

Cohibra45
03-13-09, 09:56
Did people like this just dissappear, say before WWII? It sure seems they are hard wired into this, so it's prevelance and presentation shouldn't change over time, it just seems like there are more of them.

Back home growing up, there were always rumors of people like him not being around anymore. You always heard that saying "we take care of our own". This might have been taken literally back in the day. Most of the time, I believe if it did happen though, it was performed during the act and probably with the 'knowledge' of local law (county deputies).

I know that this is vigilantism and totally taking the law into a persons hand, but if I found a person molesting my son...........I'm sure I'm not alone in what would occur. The problem now is getting away with it. It seems that only scum gets away with murder and decent people that would kill this 'person' would get the chair. No true justice anymore.....

Killing scum like this might not help him recover, but sure would prevent more occurrences!!! Too many people like this get released every day and just go back to the same old acts. Like a previous poster said, how long will society allow these people to be put back on the street???

DANGER CLOSE
03-13-09, 10:13
they should be hung with 550 cord around their package and when it pops off should be placed in their mouth while they bleed out.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-13-09, 10:32
A buddies wife is half-Spanish, and her mom told her of stories of in Spain, in the last 40 years, that the police would let it be known that they were going to pick up so-and-so this afternoon for crimes of this sort. They'd end up sending a hearse instead of a squad car to pick him up.

I really do think that more of these guys ended up in psych wards for the most part.

They are talking about the death penalty for him, this time.

Must be hard days for her family.

Gutshot John
03-13-09, 12:17
Sex offenders, especially child molesters, don't belong in jail. That's what cemeteries are for.

I don't disagree with that sentiment at all. I'd even volunteer to fill a few.

I was talking more about the specific case and why the hell anyone released him. There is no way he should have been out, GPS or no. Especially if he was a transient in a park.

No criminal (sex offender or otherwise) should be given parole/whatever without a verifiable address.

RWK
03-13-09, 12:30
If one of the fathers from the incidents in 1998 had done their duty, this discussion wouldn't be taking place...

jc75754
03-13-09, 16:40
cant we just start a penal colony in Antarctica and drop these people off there and say good luck f$%%ers.

SeriousStudent
03-13-09, 19:59
cant we just start a penal colony in Antarctica and drop these people off there and say good luck f$%%ers.

You KNOW what they will try and do to the penguins, right?

bullseye
03-13-09, 20:15
one of my personal heros [as the father of two beautiful daughters] was the guy in baton rouge that sat in the airport, reading a newspaper, until the police brought the shitbag that had raped and killed his young daughter back for trial. he waited until they passed, then popped him in the back of the head with a .44 mag, later tried, and turned acquitted. i'll admit to beig a little extreme, but, i'm an advocate of a revival of the public guillotene, get them ass-hats attention. enough of this shit, is too much!!

Buckaroo
03-13-09, 21:28
Well, I have to agree that these people are not salvageable and I would be glad to assist with their disposal.

I am the father of a 17 year old and two preteen daughters. If you read the story she was with a friend and the friend refused to cut across the field and is alive to tell about it. This poor young girl chose to take a risk, like many young people, and she paid for that decision with her life.

As a parent I know I cannot protect my children at all times so I have to teach them to make choices that will help them avoid situations that endanger them.

I agree that my daughter would most likely not have been walking to and from WW in that situation (from what I can read in the story) but if this girl was a risk taker by nature then....

I feel very sorry for her family, this is tragic to say the least.

GPs is like 911, when seconds count help is only minutes away. Maybe in this case it would be hours or even days away.

I too would like to know how this fellow was not in violation of his parole if he did not have a residence. Another breakdown in the system that cost an innocent citizen her life.

Buckaroo

1859sharps
03-14-09, 15:12

ask the UK how well the penal colony idea worked...

Gutshot John
03-14-09, 15:18
ask the UK how well the penal colony idea worked...

Since that's a little impractical how about we ask you.

What do you know that I don't? Seems like Australia has done great, but it wasn't really for the most violent of criminals.

The antarctica idea was less about establishing a penal colony and more about imposing a de-facto death sentence.

Heavy Metal
03-14-09, 15:34
Two words keep popping into my head "bullet" and "brain".

If memory serves kids do what kids do, you can't always blame parents. They think they're immortal and do what they want, no matter what their parents say. I know I did. It sounds like they warned her, but outside of chaining to her bed I don't know what they could have done.

No matter what their poor decisions, they and certainly their daughter did not deserve this fate. I'm not sure a person should be on probation, especially with a tracker should be living in a field for transients.

Don't waste rounds on this guy, ammo is expensive and scarce enough.

Four words come to mind:

Feet First and Wood Chipper.

As to him belonging in a Cemetary?

No he doesn't. Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms. Feed them the mulch.

Honu
03-14-09, 23:02
Don't waste rounds on this guy, ammo is expensive and scarce enough.

Four words come to mind:

Feet First and Wood Chipper.

As to him belonging in a Cemetary?

No he doesn't. Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms. Feed them the mulch.

feet first on commercial meat slicer set to super thin so it takes a long time :)