PDA

View Full Version : Question

Ridge_Runner_5
03-12-09, 14:19
Remington 700 in .223, no sights, for about $800 new...good deal?

yrac
03-12-09, 17:56
RR5 - probably need to clarify the specific model and condition for folks to be able to comment.

ETA: Sorry - you clearly stated the condition and I read through your post a little too fast...

Ridge_Runner_5
03-16-09, 16:39
Sorry, you're right...I believe it is a 700 VTR, with the triangular barrel and vertical exhaust brake on the top, at the muzzle. I'm fairly certain it is a 20" barrel.

Polymer stock, with rubberized sections at the front and rear grip areas on either end of the chamber.

That is all the detail that was on the card...

Dave L.
03-17-09, 06:23
Do a googe search on these. I asked about them before. What I found was:

1)The stock is junk.
2)The triangular barrel does nothing for accuracy.
3)The ports do almost nothing to lessen the recoil.
4)They usually sell for $750 at Gander Mtn.

*Most everything I have read, the guns still shoot between 1-.75MOA (which is still pretty good). I believe the gun may do better with an aluminum bedded stock.
The bad reviews were based on the price point. There are other cheaper Remington models that will out shoot this model.

(I wanted one until I did research)

Artos
03-17-09, 16:56
You would be better off looking for a clean used VS SF if you are going to pay $800....I have seen & shot a lot of these and very seldom did I see one that did not need anything other than bedding & trigger work.

I have one in a swift and it is just a cool gun...I swapped the original grey stock for a vsf II desert. Also added a jewell. This was my first test load with 52zia's and N140. 1st shot was the fowler & the 4th was a doe at +/-300yds in the neck.