PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Performance Ammo (.223)

Dave L.
12-18-06, 21:26
Riddle me this Batmen; Will the very cheap Wolf Performance Ammo destroy my head spacing over time? I have heard that steel cased ammo will wear much harder than brass. I know they stopped using that lacquer and went to some new poly-whatcha-macallit coating...does this really make a difference or will I be cutting my barrel life in half because I want to save a few bucks? Will the chrome lining save my barrel?

Alpha Sierra
12-18-06, 21:45
Since the steel used in those cases has to be soft enough to obturate (expand and conform to the chamber dimensions so closely that gas is sealed from leaking around the case) by definition it is too soft to damage your chamber in any way.

As far as barrel life, that is controlled by the amount of cracking and roughness in the throat. Since the case by definition does not extend into the throat, the case's material has no bearing on barrel life.

I shoot Wolf through my LMT carbine without a second thought.

YMMV

Dave L.
12-18-06, 22:09
Thanks for the explanation, it was exactly what I was looking for...I'll start stocking up ASAP.

TimP
12-19-06, 15:44
Here is how I look at it:

Wolf steel cases ammo $159 per 1000 out the door from local guy
Any other brass cases ammo is going to be at least $200 per 1000

after 5K rounds you have saved approx $200, if not more. How much does a new barrel cost?

Alpha Sierra
12-19-06, 15:59
after 5K rounds you have saved approx $200, if not more. How much does a new barrel cost?
A barrel's cost is besides the point because the case material has no bearing on how fast that barrel wears.

SOPMOOD
12-19-06, 19:40
Here is how I look at it:

Wolf steel cases ammo $159 per 1000 out the door from local guy
Any other brass cases ammo is going to be at least $200 per 1000

We already beat this subject to death last month.

BS erroneous remarks about gotm4: deleted by gotm4.

Robb Jensen
12-19-06, 21:05
We already beat this subject to death last month.

SOPMOOD once again post your proof or drop the subject. BS will not be tolerated here.