PDA

View Full Version : Any way to RE-crimp a primer pocket?

Mark21
03-13-09, 09:29
Having been rolling my own for a couple years now, I've had the occasional loose primer pop when at the range, and on two occasions it caused stoppages as the primer got into the trigger group. Of course, this is after the brass was on its 5th or 6th reload.

That got me wondering, is there any way to crimp the primers? God knows I've done enough DE-crimping in my life, but it would be nice to know that rounds I make for self-defense won't have any issues because the primers were crimped.

Of course, the easy answer is to only use fresh brass for self defense rounds. But now I'm just curious more than anything. I've seen Markron primer sealer to make them waterproof, but that sealent prob wouldn't hold a primer from popping if the pocket was loose from overuse.

Artos
03-13-09, 13:44
Mark,

I personally would never mess with any brass once the primer pocket has enlarged. That is a clear indication it has used up it's life....I tend to set brass aside if I feel a loose primer during the seating operation just to be safe.

5 or 6 hot reloads is good in an auto...

markm
03-13-09, 15:47
I can brass after 3 loadings to avoid loose pockets and case separation.

Crimped primers can still blow out anyway. And I use factory loads for defensive purposes too.

Why are you sealing your primers. There's really no need as ammo can get wet and still function fine. If you're not doing amphibious assaults, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Nam62
03-14-09, 18:12
When my primer pockets get loose I mark the case with a red marker, the next trip to the range I let them fly and throw them in to the trash.

Mark21
03-14-09, 19:42
Thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I will not keep my brass as long, as I do have plenty of it. Artos -- the only problem I have with "feeling" a loose primer is that there is not much feel on a progressive loader.

Also, markm -- I don't use the sealent, but have seen it around and was curious. No civilian amphibian ops in my near future. :D

Artos
03-14-09, 22:46
[QUOTE=Mark21;329346]. Artos -- the only problem I have with "feeling" a loose primer is that there is not much feel on a progressive loader.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have the sqare deal and can't do the 5.56 on this dillon....I'm new at the auto/gas loading and have to agree with markm and will just do the 3-4 loads and pitch'em.

I'm fortunate to have access to brass so I best play it safe. I also tend to load warm but can minimum size brass on my turn bolts to get the last bit of life. Brass is getting worked more on the auto's....it's really not worth it and your description has you on the edge of a possible case seperation imho.

markm
03-17-09, 08:59
-- the only problem I have with "feeling" a loose primer is that there is not much feel on a progressive loader.

I can definitely feel it on my 550. But a lot of the time I'm just running brass through my progressive to prime it. For Rifle ammo, I prime my brass separate of actual loading so I don't have to fight the damned priming system while I'm focusing on powder charge.