PDA

View Full Version : Got my Warren 2 dot night sights installed

Gentoo
03-13-09, 14:51
And I am very suprised with them. I bought them for both my G19s on the recommandation of Todd and others, but I really didn't expect to be able to notice anything different.

I was wrong. Target acquistion is MUCH faster for me with this setup. Even as a rank amatuer, I can notice a difference versus the standard sights. Very pleased so far.

Big thumbs up from me for this setup.

Only advice is that when I took them in to get installed, the couterperson said he could not do it with a sight pusher, and it had to go to the Gunsmith to be fitted. So instead of installing them for free, it cost me $45 each and I had to leave my guns there for a few days. So keep that in mind if you get them.

vaglocker
03-13-09, 14:58
I have them on one of my G19s. They rock. As soon as I have some free cash I'll be putting them on my other G19.

John_Wayne777
03-13-09, 17:05
They will install with a sight pusher, but you need a pusher that will handle "tall" sights like the Heinies. The same tools will work for standard sized Glock sights.

HowardCohodas
03-13-09, 17:26
And I am very suprised with them. I bought them for both my G19s on the recommandation of Todd and others, but I really didn't expect to be able to notice anything different.

I was wrong. Target acquistion is MUCH faster for me with this setup. Even as a rank amatuer, I can notice a difference versus the standard sights. Very pleased so far.

Big thumbs up from me for this setup.

Only advice is that when I took them in to get installed, the couterperson said he could not do it with a sight pusher, and it had to go to the Gunsmith to be fitted. So instead of installing them for free, it cost me $45 each and I had to leave my guns there for a few days. So keep that in mind if you get them.

Heard the same thing from our local smiths. Additionally they said they might mark up the slide but would not be responsible for the damage. Bought the MGW sight installation tool and it worked great. I was going to sell it, but have decided to loan it to forum members of the two forums I belong to where I have received so much help. Putting together the package including my "Tips and Tricks" notes. Stay tuned for the MGW sight lending program for M&Ps to be formally announced shortly. If this program works out successfully, I will add MGW tools for other brands and models.

I was also startled at how much of a difference they made to my ability to shoot with both eyes open. I asked how this could be. Todd said mine came with a dose of voodoo. Maybe yours did as well.

Shotdown
03-14-09, 00:02
Always wanted those sights but can't afford them. I went with the Sevigny Comp sights (Plain rear/ F.O. front) instead.

Robb Jensen
03-14-09, 06:08
The sight tools that JW777 speaks of are the MGW newer style Glock tools. They make on that's angled like the stock/Trijicon/Mepro night sights. And they make one that has 90 degree angles which works best for tall sights or sights like Warrens or Heinies.

I got my MGW tools from Top Gun Supply (http://www.topgunsupply.com/tools-sight-installation-tools/), which are $85 each.

Spooky130
03-23-09, 18:36
Stay tuned for the MGW sight lending program for M&Ps to be formally announced shortly. If this program works out successfully, I will add MGW tools for other brands and models.

Let me know when you get the M&P tool - I'll be interested in this program!

Spooky

Littlelebowski
03-23-09, 20:09
Doesn't anyone just do things the old fashioned way and whack them in with a hammer and punch?

David Thomas
03-23-09, 20:35
Doesn't anyone just do things the old fashioned way and whack them in with a hammer and punch?

I was thinking the same thing.

Mark71
03-23-09, 23:34

This method works fine for me
:)

John_Wayne777
03-24-09, 07:33

...because you can break the tritium element in the sight. Generally it's not as much of a problem on the Glocks...but I'd still argue that a good sight tool is a wise investment if you own and carry Glocks.

Farva
03-24-09, 09:56
...because you can break the tritium element in the sight. Generally it's not as much of a problem on the Glocks...but I'd still argue that a good sight tool is a wise investment if you own and carry Glocks.

Tritium vials are known to break when whacked in with a hammer.

G34Shooter
03-24-09, 09:57

Warren sights are made from 4140 and don't just go in with a punch and/or sight pusher, I have a nice ding on my WTS from trying it this way before sending it to a smith :o

Littlelebowski
03-24-09, 10:40
Tritium vials are known to break when whacked in with a hammer.

I've put in about 30 or so and haven't broken one. I use brass or plastic punches and it works fine.

G34Shooter
03-24-09, 13:01
From mle:

Q: What type of sights are these, and what material is used?
A: Warren Tactical Series sights are fixed and constructed of steel hardened to Rc 35-40. Finish is black oxide and adjustable only for windage.

Q: Are the rear WTS sights considered a "drop-in fit"?
A: No, WTS sights are not considered a drop-in fit. All WTS sights
can be installed in minutes by a qualified gunsmith. The rear sight is retained by using
a light press fit into the factory dovetail and a small set-screw. The use of a
sight tool by a qualified gunsmith, is recommended.

Note: Rear sights could require some fitting, by a qualified gunsmith.
The fit is snug on purpose, to ensure a secure application.

Gentoo
03-24-09, 21:25
Eh.... I guess you could put it in yourself. But honestly, considering I'm down $400 for the gun and $115 for the sights, I'm OK with spending another $45 to make sure they are properly installed.

tpd223
03-25-09, 19:29
I've installed hundreds of night sights on Glocks and S&Ws, all with a brass punch and hammer, I have yet to break a set, or even mar the sights.

G34Shooter
03-25-09, 19:36
I've installed hundreds of night sights on Glocks and S&Ws, all with a brass punch and hammer, I have yet to break a set, or even mar the sights.

And I even had the local Glock rep and a gun shop who's installed hundreds that could not install the Warren sights with a punch or pusher ;) Both my Warren and Sevigny sights were installed by gunsmiths Bruce Gray and Custom Glock Racing.

JSGlock34
03-25-09, 19:51
And I even had the local Glock rep and a gun shop who's installed hundreds that could not install the Warren sights with a punch or pusher ;) Both my Warren and Sevigny sights were installed by gunsmiths Bruce Gray and Custom Glock Racing.

My experience with Warren sights was that they are extremely tight and best installed by a gunsmith. Even with a sight pusher I found them very difficult to install.

Robb Jensen
03-25-09, 21:22
Warren sights for Glocks fits snug. With a little oil and a MGW sight tool they'll go on quite easily. Warren sights for an M&P fit very tight, I have to remove a little of the finish on the bottom of the sight as well as the front edge to get the rear sight to fit the dovetail. I prefer them a tight vs. lose, that way they won't ever shoot lose.

ToddG
03-27-09, 09:52
FWIW, Warren and S&W have been collaborating recently and the Warren M&P sights should require less fitting now.

Robb Jensen
03-27-09, 10:26
FWIW, Warren and S&W have been collaborating recently and the Warren M&P sights should require less fitting now.

True. Still need some fitting, they don't just fit on like Trijicons do.

John_Wayne777
03-27-09, 12:17
My experience with Warren sights was that they are extremely tight and best installed by a gunsmith. Even with a sight pusher I found them very difficult to install.

Even with the MGW M&P tool the Warren sights are indeed very stiff to install. When I install my sights generally it takes a great deal of strength (and I'm not a little guy) to get the sight into place.

If the MGW tool didn't have the side supports for the slide you'd snap the slide rails before the sight would budge.

45r
03-27-09, 13:27
I used a hammer and punch on my Sig 226 ST slide. Worked perfect! I would have much rather had the sight pusher though.:D

G34Shooter
03-27-09, 14:02
I used a hammer and punch on my Sig 226 ST slide. Worked perfect! I would have much rather had the sight pusher though.:D

You're such a risk taker :D