PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a Glock 17/22 as both their duty gun and ccw?

kaltblitz
03-13-09, 19:21
Does anyone here carry a Glock 17/22 as their primary both on duty and off duty consitently?

If you do what rig are you using off duty?

I was going to buy a G19, but the 17 honestly fits my hand better.

Gutshot John
03-13-09, 19:26
I'm not a cop so its not my duty weapon but my G17 is my CCW.

Do you need a retention holster? I use the wilderness zip slide for concealment a lot, but the retention sucks. Either the Askins CQC or Hume for something a bit more secure.

RWK
03-13-09, 19:29
Does anyone here carry a Glock 17/22 as their primary both on duty and off duty consitently?

If you do what rig are you using off duty?

I was going to buy a G19, but the 17 honestly fits my hand better.

For Kydex: Hillsman holsters and mag pouches with a Kramer horsehide belt. For leather (horsehide, actually): Kramer vertical scabbard, mag pouches, and belt.

Buck
03-13-09, 19:30
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/img/products/holsters/Ghost.jpg

I really like "The Ghost" from Raven Concealment...

B

bkb0000
03-13-09, 19:39
i'm also not a cop, but i've decided to get a 17 for CCW. i've packed other large, and larger frames with relative ease. depends on your climate and clothing style i guess

madisonsfinest
03-13-09, 19:48
I have had a Glock 17 and 22, and have on occasion carried concealed, but IMO they stick out too much. Glock 22 for work, and 27 for take home.

Turnkey11
03-13-09, 20:13
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/img/products/holsters/Ghost.jpg

I really like "The Ghost" from Raven Concealment...

B

Ive got one on order for my 19, will be my after work carry combo.

woodandsteel
03-13-09, 20:37
I used to carry a Glock 22 for both On duty/Off duty. A Glock 23 is now my On Duty/Off Duty weapon. Back when I carried my glock 22 I used this Safariland OWB holster http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=527 .

I also have a Galco Summer Comfort holster. I find the summer comfort plus the Glock 22 is a little too bulky for my taste.

Currently I use a Comp-Tac MTac for my Glock 23. I am looking to get one for my Glock 22 as well. At first, I didn't like the Comp-Tac, but I have since gotten used to it.

EzGoingKev
03-13-09, 20:40
Not a LEO but I have G17 that I carry and right now I just tuck it into my pants as I cannot seem to find a holster that works for me.

Also, I want to get rid of it for a G23. I want something a little smaller and I figure with a little more power. I found out I can get .357 SIG barrel from Glock for $135 and shoot that using the same mags.

There are aftermarket companies that make a 9mm conversion barrel for it also so I could pick up one of those and some 9mm mags and shoot that too.

03-13-09, 20:43
I carried a G22 on/off duty. I used a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover (which is now being replaced by the Infidel line at Comp-Tac). I never had a problem concealing it.
The important part was the belt. So many officers that I know skimp on the belt.
I switched off and on with my 5-stitch Wilderness and a 5.11 "dress" belt which has a plastic stiffener inside. It did a damn good job.

woodandsteel
03-13-09, 20:52
I carried a G22 on/off duty. I used a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover (which is now being replaced by the Infidel line at Comp-Tac). I never had a problem concealing it.
The important part was the belt. So many officers that I know skimp on the belt.
I switched off and on with my 5-stitch Wilderness and a 5.11 "dress" belt which has a plastic stiffener inside. It did a damn good job.

You are right about skimping on the belt. I've been using my standard basket weave issued belt for ccw. Not so smart of me, due to the fact that to a trained eye it tells people I may be an officer. Plus it doesnt give proper support.

I need to find a better belt.

msstate56
03-14-09, 22:53
Look at the Comp Tac C-Tac, the slide version. It will acommodate any model of glock in 9mm or .40 (17,19,26,22,23,27). You can get belt clips to suit your needs. It hides a full size glock well. Also, make sure you get a quality belt.

msstate56
03-14-09, 23:00
double

lonewolf21
03-14-09, 23:42
i use sidearmor kydex for my off duty carry. i go back and forth between my 1911 and g22. im a bigger guy so i can conceal either one pretty easily. ive had these holsters for over 3 years now and not a single problem out of either one. customer service is excellent and they give a leo discount. also use their mag pouches. great kit. www.sidearmor.com

restfortheweary
03-15-09, 05:41
+1 for Comp-Tac. I carry a 17 or a Govt 1911 inside the waistband in a T shirt. I like the minotour a little better than the CTAC but I have and use both.

wlptpd3
03-15-09, 16:39
I carry a 17 almost all the time, We are issued the 23 but I use the 17 for classes because the ammo is a bit cheaper. I started carrying the 17 all the time, I use a Raven concealment for OWB and a De Santis kydex for IWB.

RD62
03-15-09, 21:12
When I was with the Sheriff's department I carried a G22 and G27 both on and off-duty. I now carry a G17. I carried them all in a Sidearmor IWB kydex holster off-duty. All three same holster no problems. Good belt too as others have mentioned. If I buy a new holster it'll be a Comp-Tac, I like their design better.

Good luck!

-RD62

JonInWA
03-16-09, 19:56
Not a problem at all with the right belt/holster combination. I have others, but usually prefer a Blade-Tech IWB or simply the Glock Sport/Combat OWB holster(s) with either a 5-11 leather belt or a Wilderness 5-stitch belt, and a Wilderness magazine pouch (either single horizontal or single vertical, or an Orca double vertical).

Realistically, the Glock G17 is about the same size as a Colt Commander (albeit a bit thicker), so it's not really all that difficult to carry concealed.

Best, Jon