PDA

View Full Version : My BCM build after an EAG class

Aggunner
03-13-09, 22:02
I had the pleasure of getting plenty of trigger time this past weekend at an EAG 3 Day Carbine Operators Course.

I swapped the upper with a friend who bought it new and wanted a 14.5 instead of the 16. The upper had 40rds through it when I got it and after some initial problems with the VTAC tube install and a lot of help from Paul at BCM I got the thing squared away. I assembled the upper and went straight to the range to get it zerod in and have never cleaned it since I aquired it. At the class, we ran about 1200rds through the gun and the only thing I did to the upper was apply a couple drops of Larue's Machine gunners lube on the bolt and carrier at the end of the day. In between the relays, the port door was left open and plenty of fine sand and dust got in but it still ran like a champ. I never had a single FTE or FTF other than the ones we intentionally set up. Ammo used was PMC 55gr and the stuff ran.

Before I go any further I have to thank the following:

Paul at BCM for all of his help, he went way beyond what he had to do and I greatly appreciate it.
Pat and Mike with EAG, these guys are top notch and I can honestly say I had an absolute blast taking the class. It's not often you can have fun, get a good laugh, shoot shit, and learn at the same time.
Guys at Larue, Magpul, and BCM for setting us up with a bunch of goodies.

Small review on some of the stuff on the gun

VTAC rifle length tube: Despite intial problems the tube is rock solid and I was able to set up my accessories exactly where I wanted them. The tube did get a little bit warm after running quite a few NSR drills in quick succession but I was able to keep shooting without the need of gloves.

Aimpoint Mirco T1 in Larue mount: I've been an Eotech user for a couple years and just recently switched to the Aimpoints and I can honestly say that i was a step in the right direction. The simple dot was easy for me to find and had nice crisp edges. I also didn't have to worry whether or not I turned off the optic because of the long battery life.

Geissele SSA trigger: After running this trigger I'm going to have a hard time shooting a standard trigger. The break is nice and crisp and the reset is nice and positive so I can come to the reset nice and quick.

Blackhawk 2 point bungee sling: Buying a Larue VTAC sling w/ HK hooks ASAP.

Magpul Mags: I rotated through 5 mags the entire class and I didn't have a single issue with feeding even with the mags full of dirt.

Noveske dust cover: I wish the surprise didn't get worn off leaving "cock fag"

Gun Details:

BCM 16" Carbine Length upper
BCM standard bolt group
Rifle Length VTAC tube w/ top rail
Aimpoint T1 w/ Larue mount
Mega Lower, WOA LPK, Geissele SSA trigger
Magpul CTR

The gun before nice and clean:

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/ar/vtacbcm.jpg

And after 1300rds of not cleaning

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/ar/bcm.jpg

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/ar/bcm2.jpg

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/ar/bcm3.jpg

SeriousStudent
03-13-09, 22:31
Nice rifle. :)

How is the balance with that setup? I am curious if it feels a bit muzzle-heavy?

I am looking at putting a VTAC tube like that on a 18" recce build. I like the CTR stock also, and was wondering about the balance. Did you have any issues swinging the muzzle past targets when shooting multiple targets?

Thanks for the AAR. I have also received nothing but great service from BCM.

MR.J
03-14-09, 00:15
Good report... so i guess your saying that BCM makes a DAMN FINE product.. Gezz NEVER read that before.....(j/k););):D.Thanks for the info.:cool:

hossb7
03-14-09, 03:54
great write up, awesome upper.

i cant wait to get my BCM upper

Aggunner
03-14-09, 08:06
Balance is fine and the gun is a lot lighter than you would think. On multiple targets, I didn't have any issue over shooting them.

SeriousStudent
03-14-09, 08:43
Thanks very much, I appreciate the report.

I like how you have that set up - all you need, and nothing you don't. :)

FVC3
03-14-09, 09:29
I like how you have that set up - all you need, and nothing you don't. :)

"all you need and nothing you don't"! Geez, someone should trademark that...

LonghunterCO
03-14-09, 11:21
Did you cut down the GB or did you replace it?

-Nice rig.

adh
03-14-09, 11:26
Any idea of what the actual weight is? I'd love it personally if VTAC would make an 11" tube.....Larue is the only option there I think

SeriousStudent
03-14-09, 12:16
"all you need and nothing you don't"! Geez, someone should trademark that...

Is it already trademarked? I posted that while in zero-coffee mode, so I'm amazed it makes any sense at all.

I'm old, too. ;)

LonghunterCO
03-14-09, 15:55
Any idea of what the actual weight is? I'd love it personally if VTAC would make an 11" tube.....Larue is the only option there I think

It's free float. Couldn't you get a 12" rifle length, cut it down, and refinish?

Abraxas
03-14-09, 16:27
I have to say that I am glad that you showed the ejection port cover. I have been thinking of buying one of those. But I don't think I will given how it did not ware very well

Aggunner
03-14-09, 19:40
i hacked the FSB down and just hit it with some high temp paint.

The engraving on the door might be fine, i just haven't taken the time to see if it'll clean up.

03-14-09, 19:59
No safe queen there! Nice report. :cool:

HAIL-CAESAR
03-14-09, 20:09
Any idea of what the actual weight is?

Yes Sir, I'm wondering about that too.

Aggunner
03-14-09, 21:36
Yes Sir, I'm wondering about that too.

don't have a scale at the house so I'm not sure.

adh
03-15-09, 11:24
It's free float. Couldn't you get a 12" rifle length, cut it down, and refinish?

If it was the typical railed handguard I'd agree with you but considering the construction of the Vtac, I don't think it would work well.

Aggunner
03-15-09, 14:53
If it was the typical railed handguard I'd agree with you but considering the construction of the Vtac, I don't think it would work well.

the tube is actually shorter than 12" but there is about 1.25" before the end of the optional top rail so you could in theory cut it down without it looking too funky.

No safe queen there! Nice report. :cool:

I try to shoot my stuff as much as I can with time and ammo/money permitting

Aggunner
05-05-09, 20:15
Report concerning my initial problem, I assembled another upper using a different rifle length tube and I encountered the same loose fitting tube issue