PDA

View Full Version : Just do what's right-gun work related

mark5pt56
12-19-06, 06:22
A co worker has a Bushmaster A2 carbine with AK brake, full stock. So he asked me a few things and I show him some of my stuff and also to look at the sites to see how he wants to set it up, etc. I tell him, when you're ready to get stuff, I'll point you in the right direction.

Well, he goes to a local store(not my idea) and brings it back with some stuff they put on it after he buys it there on it.

1. New Vltor stock, buggered up tube(channnel by end plate) Castle nut on backwards and marred up.(if you know what the Vltor cn looks like, it has the staking indents on one side and the wrench slots on the other)

2. Talked him into a cheap bipod(what for)

3. First Samco rail with an Eotech(no bash) mounted onto an A.R.M.S. 17-so high can't use the irons at all.

I talked him into removing the mount so he can co witness. Take of the cheap as bipod, hopefully he can return the two things.

Pointed out the issues of the sight on the non ff rail.

Point is, if you don't know how to do something or don't know the answer-just admit it instead of giving bad info or messing something up?

Nothing wrong with that, no one is expected to know it all.

Mark

rob_s
12-19-06, 07:09
Most people don't know what they don't know. Unfortunately that goes for any enthusiast/hobby shop, to include gun shops, golf shops, dive shops, hotrod shops..... the list goes on and on. More often than not I think that situations like you describe above are really based more on ignorance on the part of the salesman than the malicious need to sell one more thing that many think is the cause.

When you get a customer who isn't knowledgeable combined with a salesman that isn't either, it's usually a recipe for some pretty silly bolt-ons.

Kisara
12-20-06, 17:39
A lot of times it boils down to one thing: Commi$$ion.

Dport
12-20-06, 18:06
A couple of stupid questions.

Does he see the gun as a defensive tool or just something to shoot at the range?

If it's the latter, was he happy with what he bought?

mark5pt56
12-20-06, 18:37
He would use it defensively. He doesn't know alot about the AR accessories and although happy about his Christmas gifts to himself he was receptive about my positive criticism.

I think we all find out at some point that there's something we bought that wasn't what we wanted or needed. Sometimes you may not be sure and just want to try a product for yourself. However, some research should be done to aleviate obvious issues.

Milkman
12-20-06, 20:31
Did the parts he bought Jeopardize his life?

Sounds like being right was more important than letting him enjoy his new toy.

mark5pt56
12-20-06, 20:44
If his Eotech failed, yes it would-unless he used the window as a big sight.