PDA

View Full Version : H20: Treatment

Outlander Systems
03-14-09, 13:44
What are you using for clean hydrogen juice?

Considering the rule of threes, and air is in plentiful supply, obtaining potable water should be priority number one.

Gutshot John
03-14-09, 13:55
What are you using for clean hydrogen juice?

Considering the rule of threes, and air is in plentiful supply, obtaining potable water should be priority number one.

What's your potential source? Relatively fresh water that may not have visible contamination? or highly polluted/brine sources with gross contamination?

Outlander Systems
03-14-09, 14:25
Anything from creeks, lakes, ponds, mud puddles, etc.

Since pristine mountain springs are hard to come by, I'm attempting to assemble a water treatment system consiting of an array of devices for making potentially unsafe water potable.

Anyone have any experience with filtration systems? Like carbines, not all filters are created equally.

Gutshot John
03-14-09, 14:39
Anything from creeks, lakes, ponds, mud puddles, etc.

Since pristine mountain springs are hard to come by, I'm attempting to assemble a water treatment system consiting of an array of devices for making potentially unsafe water potable.

Anyone have any experience with filtration systems? Like carbines, not all filters are created equally.

Assuming you're not living in the third world, any moving water (no gross contamination) could be adequately handled by a MIOX, which is what I use, and you can actually treat large quantities of water relatively easily and you don't need replacement filters. They're small, light and run on AA batteries and table salt and the water actually tastes pretty good (a little sweet). Then again I live near three good sized rivers and hundreds of streams, creeks and the occasional lake. I'd recommend filters mostly as a solution for salt-water if that's going to be your primary source.

Often, if you know what you're looking for, you can get clean water from either saturated clay (which is a natural filter) or from plant life.

K.L. Davis
03-14-09, 15:19
Not sure what MIOX filter you are talking about? But the portable one that I have uses CR123 rather than AA batteries?

I plan on covering the MIOX system in the other thread about Water Preparation... the system is great for static treatment of large amounts of water, but (imho) is not without its shortcomings in the field/wilderness setting.

Gutshot John
03-14-09, 15:41
Sorry I assumed MIOX was a process rather than a brand but it's not really a "filter" either. I use the "steri-pen" which is an alternative to the brand name MIOX but does the same thing. I assumed the MIOX used AA batteries as well.

Any system will have some shortcomings so there will always be a trade-off.

Mixed oxidants are simply a better tasting alternative to iodine tablets which the military, campers, hunters and scouts have been using for years. I've never needed anything else, but again I live within a 100 miles of the largest source of fresh water on planet earth.

Filtration systems are great for use say if you don't have any considerations for space, but for light/on the go application that does large amounts of water I'd argue that it's still the way to go.

For personal application, the PUR personal water bottle is an excellent cost-effective filter.

citizensoldier16
03-14-09, 23:25
Assuming a long term effect of SHTF, I think a filter is impractical for more than 1 person. This being said, I own a filter as well as standard old Iodine tablets. It may taste like sh*t, but at least you won't end up puking your guts out.

Outlander Systems
03-14-09, 23:30
Looking at this'un:

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/miox.asp

I've wanted to stay away from anything "powered", since I choose to NOT rely on battery/power assisted items in a disaster/survival scenario.

Kino: which filter are you using? The option to use CR123's tips the scale in terms of compatibility with flashlights/weaponlights, etc, especially since long-term storange isn't as difficult.

What's the battery life like on yours?

Changing filters blows, and backwashing isn't exactly a walk in the park either, batteries are risky, so the bottom line is that field-treatment of H20 is a bitch, no matter how it's sliced, short of boiling, and there's always the availability of fire to factor in as well.

K.L. Davis
03-15-09, 00:14
I am working on a Water Treatment thread in the Survival Forum, but I have had a lot of other things jamming me up this week...

Anyway... as I recall they claim 200 liters per set of batteries, but of course in real life, you can expect half that -- I'd say my experience is that it is good for 50 to 100 liters, depending on the water and conditions.

Keep in mind that the MIOX is just Chlorine generator, basically it makes a concentrated, liquid dose of Chlorine Dioxide, therefore it will not disinfect water any more than ClO2 tablets...

Vic303
03-15-09, 10:36
I have a Katadyn Pocket & an old PUR Voyageur (now called Katadyn Hiker), for portable filters, and a Katadyn Gravidyn for base camp/home usage. I also have a full set of spare candles for the Gravidyn. I think that gives me a total of 78,000gal of treated water from the Gravidyn alone...

RogerinTPA
03-15-09, 19:02
You could just boil any water source and rig a "still type" set up, to funnel and catch the steam as it condenses back into a liquid state. A pot cover with a removable screw handle (for the hole) or just placing the hose just inside, near the top and modding the lid with a pair of pliers should do. That, with a garden hose and a catch bucket and you have purified distilled water.

NinjaMedic
03-18-09, 22:52
I carry an MSR Miniworks filter and use PolarPure for killing anything left. Been using that combo with no issues for years and the polar pure has no taste like iodine tablets.

http://www.polarequipment.com/index.htm (PolarPure)

Vic303
03-19-09, 08:01
If y'all are interested I think I still have a .pdf of the SODIS water treatment method. I'm happy to post it (if the attachment will fit), or post a link to a place it is hosted at.

Hayduke
03-19-09, 15:12
Sorry I assumed MIOX was a process rather than a brand but it's not really a "filter" either. I use the "steri-pen" which is an alternative to the brand name MIOX but does the same thing. I assumed the MIOX used AA batteries as well.

cleaning the water is the only thing the MIOX and SteriPen have in common. they are two very differant devices.
the MSR MIOX pen creates a Mixed Oxidant solution that acts in the same way iodine or chlorine does to kill organizms. the up side to the MIOX is when treating large qtys of water, like jerry-cans or drums. the down side is the same as with all chemicals, it takes time, up to 7 hours for really nasty bugs when the water is cold.
the SteriPen on the other hand is a UV Light. UV has been used for a long time for steralization and cleaning purposes. the UV disrupts and breaks down the DNA of the critters in the water and renders them inert and unable to multiply, which is what makes us sick. the downside to the SteriPen is it is limited to one litre of water at a time at 90 seconds per litre. the bulbs are good for 8,000 doses and the AA batteries actually last quite a while (i use one.) so the SteriPen is better suited for solo or small group trips.