PDA

View Full Version : Two-way radios?

hk51pdx
03-14-09, 13:52
Hi.

I'm looking for recommendations for two-way radios. I have some CBs but i'm looking for recommendations for FRS / GMSR portable radios or other alternatives.

If there was a weather event (or societal meltdown) and cell towers were out of commission, i'd like some portable radios to keep the short list of people in communication as we moved around - knowing the practical range limitations of these types of radios.

Any thought and/or recommendations?

Heavy Metal
03-14-09, 14:09
Well, if you and your people are willing to do a bit of study work and get your Technicians liscenses from the FCC (very easy BTW), I recommend the Yaesu VX-170.

Cheap, rugged and high-powered and somebody else has already paid for the repeaters.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=7A3213027D790BCFC558E51B3306C192&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

dave5339
03-14-09, 15:02
Here is a second recommendation for amateur radio.

You will have better range, more accessories, more capability, and greater flexibility with an amateur radio than with FRS or GMRS. There is a world of difference between the level of quality and capability dividing amateur radio and FRS/GMRS, (think Olympic Arms versus Noveske with out the extreme price difference).

The technician test for an amateur radio license is really extremely simple. There are numerous online study guides. Check out http://www.qrz.com/ham/ for an example, (that's where my wife and I studied to pass our general).

Amateur radio figures big in our overall SHTF plans. We have the capability and more importantly the ABILITY to be able to communicate from across the neighborhood to around the world. Please don't make the mistake of thinking you can get the equipment, set it up in 10 minutes and be talking. Just like properly using a firearm takes time and practice, so does correctly operating a radio.

Our two meter, (144Mhz) radios allow us to monitor the local Skywarn net and keep track of the number one threat in our AO, (tornadoes).

In May of 2004 I responded to a small town in SW Missouri that had been hit by a large F3/small F4. For the first day or so amateur radio was the sole means of communication in or out of that town. Neither cell phones nor landlines worked as the central telephone office had been bullseyed and leveled to the foundation. With just a 2 meter HT, (handi talki) I was able to relay message traffic to another amateur radio operator 30 miles north of the destroyed area. She in turn was able to phone people and let them know the status of their families.

Our personal pick radio wise is the Yaesu FT-50R for a hand held radio and the Yaesu FT-7800R for the mobile rigs in our vehicles. World wide communication is handled by an older Kenwood TS-50 HF rig, (we've talked as far as New Zealand and the Ukraine with it).

Any questions, feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to help.

Semper Fi

HCPrepper
03-14-09, 16:05
Having been a licensed Technician Class now for many years, I would have to say, by far, you are best with going Amateur. As you have multiple abilities from the get go, being able to use radio to radio, through hundreds of repeaters available almost anywhere. And the ability to carry one small dual band radio (2m / 70cm i.e. vhf/440) you have endless capabilities for using multiple channels.

There is virtually no where you can't go where there isnt at least one 2 meter or 440 machine operating.

GMRS and FRS radios are fine for line of site, but get up in the hills and you step in to a whole new environment. Better to have something that you can certainly depend on. And the Amateur test's are not that hard, a little studying on your part and you will have your technician class in no time.

ncfishman
03-14-09, 16:21
maybe the shortwaves should be another thread so as not to hijack...

but what kinda of intial cost with test and the handhelds in the above link?
what kinda time frame?

MarshallDodge
03-14-09, 16:35
I have a set of the Motorola FMRS radios. They work great for what they are. I think we paid $40 for a set that is rechargeable and comes with the charger.

We give one to our boys when they go out playing with their friends and can reach them at any time. They also come in handy when you are out camping or are following in a "convoy".

Heavy Metal
03-14-09, 16:47

what kinda time frame?

Nobody is talking shortwaves. we are talking UHF and VHF handhelds

Technician Test cost?

Virtually nothing. Mabey a small testing fee. You could study and have it in a few weeks. The big limiting factor is finding a scheduled test location.

VX-170 cost? $125 or so.

dave5339
03-14-09, 16:51

what kinda time frame?

Currently the test itself is running $15. For study material, do a bit of googling and you can find a pdf of the current test, cost there is free.

Radios kind of range all over the cost spectrum, just depends on what you want to do. A new 2 meter/440 handi talkie will start around $165 or so. Used can be had for a lot less.

You might check out your local area and see if there is an amateur radio club local to you. A lot of times folks have gear laying around that they are not using and would be happy to help someone get setup cheap.

In fact I've offered a particular M4C member, Heya Serious Student :D a free radio and antenna if he would ever take the time to get his license. Hmm, where is that poke the bear smiley when I need it.

Semper Fi

Heavy Metal
03-14-09, 17:05
http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-6994&category=newprices&maxhits=600&keywords=%222m+hand+held+radio%22&go.x=12&go.y=12

$139.00 for the 170.

You can even get the older 150 model for $99!

citizensoldier16
03-14-09, 23:06
All good suggestions regarding Technician's license. Another route... <Removed by Moderator>

Note: To transmit via Marine VHF from land, you must have a Marine Utility Station License from the FCC

Heavy Metal
03-15-09, 00:18
The tech liscense gets you something nothing else does.

Tens of thousands of dollars in free repeater services.

hk51pdx
03-15-09, 00:55
Thanks for all the info.

My interest in the GMRS and FRS radios was for simple and cheap communications where i can hand a radio to someone and say PTT and go. Again, this would be for a small group to keep tabs over a very short range.

The next step would be the amateur radio - something a few of my close friends do so i have some learning to do from them, but all of your posts have been very helpful and might go a long way to get me into the world of amateur radio. ;)

vigilant2
03-19-09, 16:09
Aren't these repeater towers powered? If so, and the grid goes down for any plethora of reasons(terrorist attack, EMP,etc) would these radios still work? Would they work but with a decreased range?

Heavy Metal
03-19-09, 17:29
Well, EMP is a very remote scenario as that would require a high-altitude detonation of a multi-megaton hydrogen bomb.

They generally have an independent power source like a generator or solar.

faithmyeyes
03-19-09, 17:39
Aren't these repeater towers powered? If so, and the grid goes down for any plethora of reasons(terrorist attack, EMP,etc) would these radios still work? Would they work but with a decreased range?

Depends on the repeater. Many of them, at least in my area, get their heaviest use during severe weather (when power outages are likely) and have battery backup with auto-switchover mechanisms. Long-term power outages are another story, of course, but repeaters could still be useful in such a scenario if there were operators around with the skill and equipment to keep them going.

To the original poster: If you're looking for ruggedness and performance, get a GMRS license and commercial-grade GMRS radios. The GMRS rules allow for high-power operation, external elevated antennas, (up to 50W IIRC) and repeaters under certain circumstances.

GMRS always requires a license, even for the combo FRS/GMRS bubble pack gear. One license can cover your whole family, though. Without the GMRS operating privileges, you're limited to FRS's half-watt of transmitter power from a very poor antenna. Any scenario other than unobstructed line-of-sight, and you'll be lucky to get a mile of range reliably.

Amateur radio is great, but everyone using the radios needs an individual operator license, and typical amateur gear requires more understanding to use effectively, as dave5339 pointed out.

If you have an established group that you could represent as a club or organization (and some money) you could possibly license a business-band frequency in your area.

Check out http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=wtb_services_home for specifics on licensing and regulations for all the different radio services in the FCC domain.

Good luck,
faithmyeyes

SeriousStudent
03-19-09, 20:24

In fact I've offered a particular M4C member, Heya Serious Student :D a free radio and antenna if he would ever take the time to get his license. Hmm, where is that poke the bear smiley when I need it.

Semper Fi

Yeah, yeah, I will get right on that in my vast free time......;)

So you want me to do THAT instead of making the trips to the liquor stores and BBQ joints before visiting your house, right?

Vic303
03-20-09, 10:15
Yeah, yeah, I will get right on that in my vast free time......;)

So you want me to do THAT instead of making the trips to the liquor stores and BBQ joints before visiting your house, right?

No, no, SS. We want you to go to the liquor store & BBQ joints first, then study the exam questions here, whilst eating BBQ & enjoying a tasty beverage! :D

larry0071
03-20-09, 11:29
To the OP:

I have used the FRS radios for years. We used to be into competitive 4x4 truck sled pulling, so my Father, me, my pal Pat and the wives all had them, and many times if the children wanted to run amuck in the fairgrounds, they would get them.

My experiance has been that Motorola radios are very well built. I was on a job site and offered to bring in some Motorola FRS radios for crew communication and a guy dropped one from a 3 story scaffold onto concrete. Nothing broke.

Here is the kicker.... they advertise 2 mile and all sorts up "upgrade" ranges out to something like 8 or 10 miles with these FRS radios.... but from what I have witness in real world use, they are all about the same. So get a good deal on a couple 2 packs and call it a day.

I recomend getting ones that use AA batteries. Get a handfull of rechargable batteries and a charger.

My kids now use them when they head out in the woods ATV riding, and we often take them while we are camping. Great tools to have, that is for sure. Inexpensive, not dependant on any power supplies or towers and light to carry while being 8 yr old child simple to operate.

The other options mentioned are more advanced and may something to consider, but I use mine for close range communication with my family. My property is 25 acres, so the children never are too far away when a chain pops or the gas runs out.... and I'm only a FRS radio call away with the Rhino!

LippCJ7
04-07-09, 01:02
Not to hijack the thread but as someone who has been in commercial two way communications business for more then 20 years I can tell you that Hams(amateur radio operators) have a very distinct reputation. You have those that are pure pro's at the trade and do beautiful work but then you get the yahoo's which always seem to do a video that hits web!

HOWEVER, as someone who was tasked to help rebuild the communications infrastructure after Katrina, numerous earthquakes in CA and several blizzards in CO it amazes me how HAM's are ALWAYS the first EFFECTIVE communications system in the disaster area. I believe that since HAM's came around you could say that there has never been any incident in the US where the HAM network didn't work. I build sites; towers, buildings the whole deal. I have a business that specializes in communications and only until the last couple years did Emergency Operations Managers/Centers pay any attention to HAM's and when they did I always got "your not going to believe this but the mayor has asked us to add a 10 meter antenna to our tower, can you do this for us?" It blows me away that no one wants to admit that something as inexpensive as a HAM setup is probably the best idea out there when TSHTF. KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid has been around for a long time and it usually works the best.

Now for those that think I'm saying HAM's are so simple anyone can do it like those stupid college commercials thats not the case at all, just that the difference between a Motorola Smart Zone system or MACOM EDACS system and a HAM setup is a little like comparing a Ferrari to a volkswagon beetle. Thing is when TSHTF its the HAMS once again that will have communications throughout the area while I'm bustin my tail trying to rebuild sites to get the Sheriff communications back online.

Get a HAM License its very simple security for you and your loved ones

Lip

Dedpoet
04-07-09, 09:52
I am also a licensed amateur radio operator and can agree with everything said above. For the cost and time involved I think it's definitely a worthwhile investment.

That being said, I picked up a pair of Midland GMRS radios for my emergency preps and general purpose use in February and have been very happy with them. They're well reviewed, inexpensive, and you can set them up the way you want once and then anyone who can push a button can use them later. They get all the weather and emergency alert channels.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176T9EO