PDA

View Full Version : Which states are worst for personal freedom? (List Inside)

variablebinary
03-14-09, 21:29
The worst ten are not shockers by any means...

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91539

Which states are worst for personal freedom?
New Hampshire, South Dakota, Colorado rank best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 13, 2009
11:45 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A new study indicates the states with the most freedom are South Dakota, New Hampshire and Colorado, while Americans see the most complete government control of their personal lives in New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, California and Maryland.

"On personal freedom alone, Alaska is the clear winner, while Maryland brings up the rear. As for freedom in the different regions of the country, the Mountain and West North Central regions are the freest overall while the Middle Atlantic lags far behind on both economic and personal freedom," said the study, Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom.

The study was conducted by Jason Sorens of the University of Buffalo and William P. Ruger of Texas State and release through the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.

The researchers say their work "presents the first-ever comprehensive ranking of the American states on their public policies affecting individual freedoms in the economic, social, and personal spheres."

The study made its assessments by defining individual freedom as the "ability to dispose of one's own life, liberty, and justly acquired property however one sees fit, so long as one does not coercively infringe on other individuals' ability to do the same."

Specifically, it includes measures of social and personal freedoms such as peaceable citizens' rights to educate their own children, own and carry firearms, and be free from unreasonable search and seizure. It includes more variables than prior studies.

The results can be used by lawmakers concerned about liberty and by business owners who are considering new investment priorities, the authors said. Individuals can use the results to determine moves and retirement options.

The authors said their understanding of freedom "follows from the natural-rights liberal thought of John Locke, Immanuel Kant and Robert Nozick, but it is also consistent with the rights-generating rule-utilitarianism of Herbert Spencer and others."

It includes the belief in the efficiency and morality of unhampered markets, the system of private property and individual rights and a "deep distrust of taxation, egalitarianism, compulsory welfare and the power of the state."

"Our definition of freedom presents specific challenges on some high-profile issues. Abortion is a critical example. On one account, the fetus is a rights-bearing person, and abortion is therefore an aggressive violation of individual rights that ought to be punished by government. On another account, the fetus does not have rights, and abortion is a permissible exercise of an individual liberty, in which case government regulation of abortion would be an unjust violation of a woman’s rights. Rather than take a stand on one side or the other (or anywhere in between), we have coded the data on state abortion restrictions but have not included the policy in our overall index," the study authors cautioned.

Issues considered for various parts of the study include the use of marijuana, state and local government budgets, gun registration and dealer registration demands, restrictions on alcohol sales, camera surveillance, bicycle helmet laws, gambling rules, fireworks restrictions, compulsory school requirements, insurance rules.

1. New Hampshire 0.432;
2. Colorado 0.421;
3. South Dakota 0.392;
4. Idaho 0.356;
5. Texas 0.346;
6. Missouri 0.320;
7. Tennessee 0.284;
8. Arizona 0.279;
9. Virginia 0.275;
10. North Dakota 0.268;
11. Utah 0.250;
12. Kansas 0.210;
13. Indiana 0.208;
14. Michigan 0.206;
15. Wyoming 0.193;
16. Iowa 0.183;
17. Georgia 0.146;
18. Oklahoma 0.143;
19. Montana 0.125;
20. Pennsylvania 0.102;
21. Alabama 0.092;
22. Florida 0.068;
23. North Carolina 0.019;
24. Nevada 0.013;
25. Mississippi -0.004;
26. Delaware -0.008;
27. Oregon -0.009;
28. Nebraska -0.018;
29. Arkansas -0.023;
30. South Carolina -0.040;
31. Alaska -0.071;
32. Kentucky -0.082;
33. West Virginia -0.097;
34. Louisiana -0.110;
35. Minnesota -0.111;
36. New Mexico -0.150;
37. Wisconsin -0.199;
38. Ohio -0.205;
39. Maine -0.214;
40. Vermont -0.217;
41. Connecticut -0.225;
42. Illinois -0.238;
43. Massachusetts -0.242;
44. Washington -0.275;
45. Hawaii -0.304;
46. Maryland -0.405;
47. California -0.413;
48. Rhode Island -0.430;
49. New Jersey -0.457;
50. New York -0.784.

The online report also includes detailed descriptions for each state.

For example, Alaska, although it has great personal freedom, has a problem regarding freedom is its fiscal policy.

"Over a quarter of the state’s workforce is employed by state or local government, and that figure does not include federal employees. Alaska has the third highest debt ratio in the country and the second highest state and local government spending ratio. However, Alaska does extremely well on personal freedom, scoring first on our ranking," the profile states.

California, the study implies, should be avoided:

"Contrary to popular perception, California not only taxes and regulates its economy more than most other states, it also aggressively interferes in the personal lives of its citizens. California ranks No. 48 on economic freedom and No. 37 on personal freedom. California simply needs to cut government spending. The budgetary categories most out of line with the rest of the country are public safety, natural resources and environment, and administration."

Highly rated Colorado gets its endorsement through "excellent fiscal numbers and above-average numbers on regulation and paternalism. [The Taxpayers Bill of Rights], though suspended as of this writing, is surely responsible for some of Colorado’s fiscal sanity. The state is the most fiscally decentralized in the country, with localities raising fully 44.5 percent of all state and local expenditures. … "

DocHolliday01
03-14-09, 21:35
Not surprising California and the east coast states are at the bottom of that list or very close to it. :rolleyes:

Gutshot John
03-14-09, 21:46
I'm curious about Vermont.

You don't even need a permit to carry concealed.

CHoffman
03-14-09, 22:11
I didn't expect my state to be number 3. I also thought California would be at the bottom.

Gentoo
03-14-09, 23:20
It got dragged down by the other factors:

Issues considered for various parts of the study include the use of marijuana, state and local government budgets, gun registration and dealer registration demands, restrictions on alcohol sales, camera surveillance, bicycle helmet laws, gambling rules, fireworks restrictions, compulsory school requirements, insurance rules

geminidglocker
03-14-09, 23:40
I live in Vermont and have been concealed carrying since I was 18. While you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, private sale is lawful and the age for handgun ownership is 18. We can own machineguns but not suppressors, with proper paperwork of course.

iroc_dis
03-15-09, 07:51
Hrm, I'm surprised South Carolina didn't do better. No motorcycle helmet laws, no fireworks restrictions, hardly any firearms restrictions. We probably "shoot ourselves in the foot" with our retarded laws concerning the sale of liquor, beer, and merchandise on Sundays though.

jmoore
03-15-09, 09:14
Only four more years til retirement, though:)

CleverNickname
03-15-09, 11:02
I'm curious about Vermont.

You don't even need a permit to carry concealed.

This isn't due to the current political climate in the state, it's due to a 1903 Vermont Supreme Court decision (State v Rosenthal) that made it pretty clear that prohibiting carry was unconstitutional.

Abraxas
03-15-09, 11:10
Woohoo, MO is in the top 10

Irish
03-15-09, 12:14
Here's the original link to the George Mason University study where the entire document can be downloaded http://www.mercatus.org/PublicationDetails.aspx?id=26154.
Jason Sorens, who co-authored the report, was one of the Free State leaders at one time http://www.freestateproject.org/ in which an influx of people would move to NH and basically take over the state through voting in their people. My understanding is it's a peaceful movement where people want to have more freedoms and are getting them through the voting box.

geezerbutler
03-15-09, 13:32
Good, informative post VB, and thanks for the follow up IrishLuck.

What suprises me is

1. New Hampshire 0.432;
2. Colorado 0.421;
3. South Dakota 0.392;
4. Idaho 0.356;
5. Texas 0.346;
6. Missouri 0.320;
7. Tennessee 0.284;
8. Arizona 0.279;
9. Virginia 0.275;
10. North Dakota 0.268;
11. Utah 0.250;
12. Kansas 0.210;
13. Indiana 0.208;
14. Michigan 0.206;

I can't conceive anyone voluntarily moving to Michigan with the economic tragedies that abound there (pre-mortgage credit crisis even).

I would think that they would be closer to the bottom.

It seems implausible that TN and MI would only be 7 points apart.

My picks from the top 10 personally would be TN or CO.

Cohibra45
03-15-09, 13:52
After living 18 years in Maryland, I understand a lot about that states politics.....

It is way too close to DC being tainted by the total libs that live and work around that city. Also, when we almost elected the first Republican Gov, she lost on precincts in Baltimore that had 100% voter turnout......If you believe that anywhere there is 100% turnout I have some great land down here in Florida!!! However the most eye opening, jaw dropping statistic of the 100% turnout was the fact that those precincts voted 100% Democratic!!!!!!!!:eek:

That's right........100% turnout and 100% of the vote Democratic. Never heard of voter fraud......never in Maryland, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful state with a lot of good people living in the country, but the cities stink with corruption.

While I was living there, the great Mayor Berry of DC got caught smoking crack and doing whores.......The good folks in DC re-elected him for another term!!! All this after the arrest and conviction!!! And people wonder about politics in DC...they want to let that place become a vote in the congress??

Abraxas
03-15-09, 14:50
Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful state with a lot of good people living in the country, but the cities stink with corruption.

This pretty much rings true in all states. At least from what I have seen

A-Bear680
03-15-09, 15:07
Double Malf.

A-Bear680
03-15-09, 15:11
FWIW:
The study puts Maine at #39. That's a huge surprise to me-- enough to make me wonder about the whole measurement system that was used.
Some of the factors that would pull Maine toward the middle ( rather than the best 15 or so) might be government budgets/taxes , insurance rules, fireworks and maybe gambling. There's just not enough government intrusion in more important areas to justify 39 , IMO. Maine has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the US. I lived up there for a number of years , the score does not track with my experience at all.
Maybe the Free State take-over thing indicates some distance from typical ...viewpoints ,
priorities --something , maybe even reality. Sounds like a cult .

The dream of moving in and taking over one of the three far Northeastern states is nothing new. The lefties dreamed the same impossible dream in the 1960's , some never completely gave it up.
It is still a running joke in some circles up there , especially gun owners and outdoor sports guys.

;)

Dr. Quickdraw Mcgraw
03-15-09, 20:40
How did Iowa do so well?

Concealed carry is up to the sheriffs, basically not possible to get a CCW in my county.
"Real" fireworks are Illegal (only snakes, and sparklers)
No NFA items unless you are a dealer
2nd Highest number of Insurance Providers in the Country, mandatory auto insurance.
No medical marijuana

16 seems pretty high for all that crap.

HCPrepper
03-16-09, 00:27
Hrm, I'm surprised South Carolina didn't do better. No motorcycle helmet laws, no fireworks restrictions, hardly any firearms restrictions. We probably "shoot ourselves in the foot" with our retarded laws concerning the sale of liquor, beer, and merchandise on Sundays though.

As I live in South Carolina, and currently work in Law Enforcement here. I can attest, SC is slowly changing, Myrtle Beach NOW requires helmets for all motorcycles, mopeds and scooters. There are other cities slowly changing over to this as well. :(

mmike87
03-16-09, 07:12
Keep in mind this list takes into account a lot of things, not just gun laws. Despite the fact that a few states may have good gun laws, they may still have a lot of things to not like in regards to overall "freedom".

Take Maine for instance ... Maine has been creeping to the left since before I left in 1989 ... as more and more people from Taxachussetts continue to invade their former colony. My folks pay more than double the property tax rate I pay in Virginia, and I believe the other taxes across the board are higher as well.

It's sad ... I lived in Maine for 14 years as a kid and loved it when I was there, but I'd never go back.

Sadly, Virginia which scored very well on the list is slowly creeping to the left as well. And yes, IMO LEFT = LESS FREE.

A-Bear680
03-16-09, 09:31
Wow.

Jason Sorens, who co-authored the report, was one of the Free State leaders at one time http://www.freestateproject.org/ in which an influx of people would move to NH and basically take over the state through voting in their people. My understanding is it's a peaceful movement where people want to have more freedoms and are getting them through the voting box.

"...move to New Hampshire and basically take over the state....."

Delusions of adequacy.

MassMark
03-16-09, 09:33
It's strange that the list doesn't put Massachusetts, (my home) and California at #49 and #50 respectively... ( or disrespectively)... :rolleyes:

Irish
03-16-09, 10:15
Wow.

Delusions of adequacy.

It sounds to me like people who are willing to sacrifice possibly their livelihoods, lifestyles, relationships and more for their ideals. Rather than sitting around bitching about how much less freedom they have they're trying to change that by moving to a state where the demographics and political climate are right for them to affect real change through the American voting process.
I don't necessarily agree with all of their viewpoints but I do give a large amount of respect to someone who is willing to sacrifice so much in order to pursue what they truly believe in.
Gotta get some work done...

ApexinM3
03-16-09, 20:19
After living 18 years in Maryland, I understand a lot about that states politics.....

It is way too close to DC being tainted by the total libs that live and work around that city. Also, when we almost elected the first Republican Gov, she lost on precincts in Baltimore that had 100% voter turnout......If you believe that anywhere there is 100% turnout I have some great land down here in Florida!!! However the most eye opening, jaw dropping statistic of the 100% turnout was the fact that those precincts voted 100% Democratic!!!!!!!!:eek:

That's right........100% turnout and 100% of the vote Democratic. Never heard of voter fraud......never in Maryland, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

While I was living there, the great Mayor Berry of DC got caught smoking crack and doing whores.......The good folks in DC re-elected him for another term!!! All this after the arrest and conviction!!! And people wonder about politics in DC...they want to let that place become a vote in the congress??

Yep, beautiful state, for sure. BUT(!) the cess-pools that at Baltimore & Washington DC kill any chance of redemption. Now, if the I95 corridor & 5 miles east or west would disappear, MD wouldn't be that bad.

ApexinM3
03-16-09, 20:20
hit post twice by accident. Sorry!

variablebinary
03-17-09, 03:15
http://www.statepolicyindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/map.png

http://www.statepolicyindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/freeplot.png

skyugo
03-18-09, 00:41
nice.. i moved from number 50 to number 2! :p

how many thousands of dollars will NY be missing out on during my lifetime?;)

Sudden
03-26-09, 08:56
I was born and raised in MD. I lived around Baltimore for years in the 60s and
70s. It wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is now. I spent most of my life on the Delmarva penninsula. I live in Delaware now, about 25 miles from where I was born and raised in MD. Baltimore keeps the MD blue, the Eastern Shore is red. Lower DE where I live is red but the cities in nortern DE swing the state blue. Our reps in DC are pretty pro gun control. We will never be a shalll issue state but the people issuing permits now are pretty shall issue in their minds.

Littlelebowski
03-26-09, 09:21
Wow.

Delusions of adequacy.

Yeah, they think they can take over Wyoming too.....:rolleyes:

30 cal slut
03-26-09, 15:31
well, as far as 2A goes, i definitely wouldn't put RI near the bottom of the list.

* RI has no AW ban.

* RI is technically SHALL ISSUE CCW for residents. As a matter of practice, it is not, but there are towns that do issue CCW. And it's improving every day, because citizens are getting ticked off and flexing their legal muscles.

* RI has few off-limits places for CCW. Even school CCW is okay...if you have the pistol permit.

* RI recognizes your home state CCW while you are driving through the state (staying in your car). Even if you don't have a RI CCW.

- Okay, so there are no NFA goodies in RI. Unless the AG gives you permission.

Still not as bad as CA, NY, NJ, HI, DC, or MA, IL, WI, or MD.

LonghunterCO
03-26-09, 16:06
Well I moved from number 13 to number2...maybe I should not be as critical.

chadbag
03-26-09, 16:42
Keep in mind this list takes into account a lot of things, not just gun laws. Despite the fact that a few states may have good gun laws, they may still have a lot of things to not like in regards to overall "freedom".

Take Maine for instance ... Maine has been creeping to the left since before I left in 1989 ... as more and more people from Taxachussetts continue to invade their former colony. My folks pay more than double the property tax rate I pay in Virginia, and I believe the other taxes across the board are higher as well.

one word

Dirigio Health Care

or however they spell it

Maine is being taken over by the Massholes

scottryan
03-26-09, 17:09
Iowa, Missouri, and Michigan are anti gun states.

I can see why Nebraska got a middle score as our taxes are very high here. However we have CCW, open carry, and a full NFA state.