PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Grip: Tango Down or LaRue?

ROADKING
03-15-09, 10:35
I have been looking at the different vertical grips and was wanting to know which you prefer. The tango down looks to be pretty tough and a tad bit cheaper and as good as quality as the larue. from what i have read the military uses the tango down. I am sure this has been covered before but i couldnt find nothing on it. I always get opinions before i make a purchase.

cabbynate
03-15-09, 11:22
I just sold a LaRue FUG because I got a great deal on a Tangodown. The LaRue was good but I had $90.00 invested in it and came across a new Tangodown for $25.00 shipped and it locks up tight on my DD Omega rail so I figured I would pocket the $60.00 and still have a great VFG. I sold the LaRue for $88.00 shipped in 15 minutes in the Equipment Exchange...;)

Failure2Stop
03-15-09, 12:14
I prefer the TD Stubby due to my technique for use of a VFG. I really don't care about the QD feature that is available, but if you like to swap stuff on and off your gun it makes sense and only costs a few bones more. One word of caution- the TDs out of the box are tighter than a nun's . . . , getting them on the rail and to your preferred position can be a pain in the ass and require three or four hands until you get the technique down. Forget about getting them on an out of spec rail.

I also like the old standard Knight's VFG. It blends really nice into the rail/covers and feels good whether I grip high or low on the VFG. It is only moderately tall, and seems almost small when compared to some of the monster grips (such as the TD full size or Grip-Pod). It's biggest draw-back is the relatively weak securing method, and I know that I am not the only one to rip the little tit off during contact-distance drills, break and rake, clumsy door-interface, or overly aggressive use of the VFG before I learned finesse ;).

I have not used every VFG on the market, but of the ones that I have, the TD stubby best fits my current needs.

Pat.c
03-15-09, 12:31
I just sold a LaRue FUG because I got a great deal on a Tangodown. The LaRue was good but I had $90.00 invested in it and came across a new Tangodown for $25.00 shipped and it locks up tight on my DD Omega rail so I figured I would pocket the $60.00 and still have a great VFG. I sold the LaRue for $88.00 shipped in 15 minutes in the Equipment Exchange...;)

When you say $25 dollar TD grip are you referring to the Ebay offerings? As much as I would like to believe that's just a great deal, I question the authenticity of the product. How has it worked out for you?

Found one for sale here for $25.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tango-Down-QD-Style-Stubby-Grip-FDE-for-Rail-RAS-TAN_W0QQitemZ260375592633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260375592633&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

TheActivePatriot
03-15-09, 12:33
One thing to think about, if you use a Tango Down bipod: with the TD bipod mounted to fold rearward, the FUG's locking lever interferes with the bipod legs. You have to mount the FUG much too far to the rear to get the bipod legs to fold on a carbine or midlength rail.

LOKNLOD
03-15-09, 12:37
After handling a a buddy's FUG, er, uh, examining his Larue vert grip :p I'm going to stick with the TD grip. And although it's a full-length, I'll eventually replace with and go with all stubbies.

My main beef with the LT grip (well besides the price) was that depending on the orientation, the throw lever either jabbed my hand or made an extra lump to wrap my fingers around. I'm sure it's a non issue in the old-school chicken choker grip but using it as a hand stop in stubby fashion it was a minor inconvenience. Maybe I'd never notice, and maybe I'd find a way to tear my fingernail off by accident. No need to pay an extra 30 bucks to find out.

No clue if the TD QD version with the ADM lever is any better, as I haven't handled one, but I don't feel the need to move my grip around anyway.

SwatDawg15
03-15-09, 12:45
Ive always ran a KAC, however I have broke the tits as well. A couple weeks ago I got my hands on a friends Tango Down Stubby VFG, and now I know what I will be using. Ive been sitting back waiting for one to come up on here, or the EE. I guess I will go ahead and order one brand new.

The TD grip felt good, and was solid as a damn tank. I really liked the short version as well, because I too don't use all of the standard one.

MisterWilson
03-15-09, 12:54
When you say $25 dollar TD grip are you referring to the Ebay offerings? As much as I would like to believe that's just a great deal, I question the authenticity of the product. How has it worked out for you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tango-Down-QD-Style-Stubby-Grip-FDE-for-Rail-RAS-TAN_W0QQitemZ260375592633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260375592633&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Item location: Superb Supplier, Hong Kong

Holy crap, I can see marking it "tango down style" or throwing the word airsoft in there but they're selling that as new and even ripping off the packaging. Fockers...

SwatDawg15
03-15-09, 13:01
Item location: Superb Supplier, Hong Kong

Holy crap, I can see marking it "tango down style" or throwing the word airsoft in there but they're selling that as new and even ripping off the packaging. Fockers...

Not to get off topic, but they are also dupe'n Aimpoint boxes, manuals, and even the freakin warranty card. I have seen two 3x mag that were being sold in the black Aimpoint box, ect...

Its getting harder to rule out the clones.

ROADKING
03-15-09, 14:58
You just have to buy from a reputable company.

CaptainDooley
03-15-09, 15:42
Yup, I was looking for some Magpul stuff on eBay and then I realized... with all the cheap Hong Kong knockoffs and all the airsoft stuff, it just ain't worth it. It seems to me that these things cost a certain amount of money, and if I find it for half that price online, chances are it's not the real deal...

NCPatrolAR
03-15-09, 15:46
I prefer the stubby TD VFGs over anythign else I've tried. Also, I dont see the need in a quick detach VFG.

Shihan
03-15-09, 16:29
The TD VFG is the one that all others are judged by.

C4IGrant
03-15-09, 16:52

Correct.

C4

msstate56
03-15-09, 17:08
I have used a Tango Down Stubby for two years now. There really is no reason to look elsewhere. They lock up tight, which is a good thing. Once you figure out where you want it, just leave it. I see no reason for a quick detach, unless you want a rapid vertical grip drop when you least expect it.

RogerinTPA
03-15-09, 17:09
Big kudo's for Tango Down. As Failure2stop has said, the original ones are a PITA to get on until you get used to them, but they fit my hand perfectly. I prefer the longer ones due to extra storage cap, and the optional use of either the full grip or high grip, and as a hand placement reference.

TRD
03-15-09, 17:11

I will agree with this as well. It's what I ended up purchasing and I would definitely recommend buying one.

CLHC
03-15-09, 17:14
Don't know nothing for nothing on the LaRue but I have the TangoDown VFG. But what's on my n4lr is the BOBRO FGA SACL Shorty. No ifs ands or buts about it! :D

seb5
03-15-09, 17:26
I've got both but prefer the TG stubby, non QD over all others. It's useable, but compact, lightweight, and expensive! But they all seem to be anymore.

ROADKING
03-15-09, 17:29
Looks like TANGO DOWN is the choice for me. I like the idea of the qd just in case i need to get it off in a hurry for some reason and the long version for the battery room.

VA_Dinger
03-15-09, 17:32
There are numerous top quality options on the market.

Tango Down (standard)
Tango Down - (short)
KAC - thinner profile than a TD
Daniel Defense - middle of the road profile and tapered (thicker at bottom than at the top) if my memory serves me correct.

I rarely use a vert grip now but always seemed to go back-in-forth on whether I prefered the thicker Tango Down style or the thinner profile of the KAC.

HAIL-CAESAR
03-15-09, 21:04
Now I have to ask the silly question gentlemen.

Would anyone happen to know the weight of each the LT and the TD?
Just would like to know.

VA_Dinger
03-15-09, 21:59
Now I have to ask the silly question gentlemen.

Would anyone happen to know the weight of each the LT and the TD?
Just would like to know.

Close enough that it doesn't even matter.

SWATcop556
03-16-09, 00:23
The TD Stubby has worked quite well for me. I had a FUG and it just never felt slim enough for my personal tastes and needs. I'm not knocking it just not my thing.

supersix4
03-16-09, 01:21
I have both the FUG and a TD QD stubby. I like the FUG slightly better in the stubby config. I use it as a ref point and not a hammer handle, so neither QD levers interfere with my comfort :D

supersix4
03-16-09, 01:38
double tap.... browser timed out on me :confused:

Ridge_Runner_5
03-16-09, 02:19
I went with TangoDown because of the solid lockup with the rail levers...also, its FDE, which matches the 2-tone I am doing :D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Collection.jpg

Loner
03-16-09, 04:12
I have tried the TDVGKQD and the FUG and prefer the FUG. It just fits my hand better. You may want to try both to see which will work best for you. Both imho are pretty much gtg.

Charlie-2-6
03-16-09, 07:11
I switched from a TD full lenght (non QD) to the FUG in stubby mode. Main reason was because I like to switch the VFG between my two rifles. Back then, TD still had to come out with its QD version.

sapper36
03-16-09, 07:17
Can anyone tell me which of these is the smallest that will carry two 123 batteries? Thanks

esskay
03-16-09, 17:53
After handling a a buddy's FUG, er, uh, examining his Larue vert grip :p I'm going to stick with the TD grip. And although it's a full-length, I'll eventually replace with and go with all stubbies.

My main beef with the LT grip (well besides the price) was that depending on the orientation, the throw lever either jabbed my hand or made an extra lump to wrap my fingers around. I'm sure it's a non issue in the old-school chicken choker grip but using it as a hand stop in stubby fashion it was a minor inconvenience. Maybe I'd never notice, and maybe I'd find a way to tear my fingernail off by accident. No need to pay an extra 30 bucks to find out.

No clue if the TD QD version with the ADM lever is any better, as I haven't handled one, but I don't feel the need to move my grip around anyway.

I have the TD QD which I use in a similar fashion (hand stop/reference point). I found the QD lever to be a little annoying on one side and completely unnoticeable on the other. So flip it appropriately for lefty/righty, and it'll only annoy you a little bit when you shoot reaction/support side -- but practically speaking if you're amped up, e.g. training/match/fight, you probably won't actually notice it anyway.

RE4
03-16-09, 20:11
Great I just dropped 98$ on a LaRue - and just noticed this thread....

Magsz
03-16-09, 20:38
There's nothing wrong with the larue grip.

Its really a matter of personal preference.

10MMGary
03-16-09, 21:15
The brown truck brought this just today. It a stubby TangoDown model BGV-QDK in FDE. FWIW even as a stubby it still holds two 123 type batteries inside stored end to end.
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/guns/websize/DSC00068.JPG

JSGlock34
03-16-09, 21:53
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice - TD and LaRue both make quality products. I'm pleased with my LaRue FUG. I like the options of the different sized end caps, though I usually run in stubby configuration. There are some advantages to the QD feature. The QD means I can swap one VFG between my rifles if I want to with little fuss, which is nice (especially considering how much these grips cost) but by no means necessary. During a past carbine class I was experimenting to see whether or not I preferred shooting with a VFG, and the QD meant that I could easily add, remove or reposition the VFG as I refined my stance. I wouldn't have been able to do that with my original TD, which was tough to get on, and tough to get off.

thmpr
03-16-09, 23:18
Tango down....Hands down. The feel just feels right between the two.

thmpr
03-16-09, 23:25
Tango down....Hands down. The feel just feels right between the two.

Treehopr
03-17-09, 06:34
I've used the TangoDown (non-QD), the KAC and the Larue FUG.

I sold all the other ones after getting the Larue.

It locks up solid and if I need to move it forward or back its an easy process since I don't have to slide it off the end of the rail. It's also the only one that gives you the option of going from a full size VFG to being a stubby without having to guy buy a new VFG.

1BadBushmaster
03-17-09, 15:00
I hate to say it, but if they are both prettty much the same, I'd go with the less expensive. :D Then you can take the extra and buy some more stuff....hehe;)

esskay
03-17-09, 15:45
Oh, another advantage I found with a QD grip is for a while I have been using a single MRP upper for 3-gun matches (18" bbl) and HD/carbine training/etc (14.5" bbl). It was very convenient to attach/remove the QD grip as I went back/forth.

strambo
03-17-09, 22:14
Esskay, a little OT, but if your MRP upper happens to be a CQB length..can you post a pic w/ the 18" barrel mounted? I have searched all over, but haven't seen that yet...want to know how it will look before I get an 18" for mine.

nickdrak
03-18-09, 04:31
double-tap

nickdrak
03-18-09, 04:34
I have owned both the TD QD stubby & the LaRue F.U.G. ....

I found the TD's QD lever to be more pronounced than the lever on the LaRue in terms of my preferred grip: (reference point only with my support thumb pointed at the target along the top of the side rail, with only my pinky & second finger in-contact/wrapped around the top of the VG), but neither was pronounced enough to be uncomfortable in the slightest.

I prefer the feel/ergos of the LaRue F.U.G. over the TangoDown QD stubby, but either one is a great VG.

ROADKING
03-18-09, 14:18
I looked at both and i think i am going with the TANGO DOWN it seams to be made a little better and more comfortable than the larue.

trinydex
03-18-09, 15:03
is the tangodown grip chip worth mentioning?

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.furniture.html#gripchip

Magsz
03-18-09, 15:19
Sort of.

Honestly, 4 zipties works just as well.

Fit the box ends into the grip and boom, instant solution to pulling down the locking bars and fitting the grip at the same time.

nickdrak
03-18-09, 15:57
I looked at both and i think i am going with the TANGO DOWN it seams to be made a little better and more comfortable than the larue.

While the TD is less expensive than the LaRue, saying that it is made better is well, "odd" to me, to say the least.

The TD QD VG is basically molded, and the side of the grip that clamps against the rail (opposite of the locking lever), is plastic.

The LaRue F.U.G. is cut from a block of "Heat Resistant Engineering Polymer" (Delrin I believe), and all of the areas that contact the rail are metal or alloy. Even though I dont think durability is an issue for this part, I am quite sure that the F.U.G. would outlast the TD if it came down to a tourture test.

As far as either being more comfortable than the other, have you handled both to come to an educated decision on comfort?

esskay
03-18-09, 16:33
Esskay, a little OT, but if your MRP upper happens to be a CQB length..can you post a pic w/ the 18" barrel mounted? I have searched all over, but haven't seen that yet...want to know how it will look before I get an 18" for mine.

Strambo,
Sorry, I have a rifle-length MRP upper. This is how it looks - not totally OT, since there's a QD stubby Tango VFG under the sling there! ;):
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2897/sneakymrp18.jpg

With a CQB length MRP, the gas block on an 18" bbl will be exposed. IIRC, 16" and 18" MRP bbls all have mid-length gas systems so it'll look the same as a 16" MRP except just longer.

Bunch of pics here:
Click! (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5955)

DRich
03-18-09, 17:12
While the TD is less expensive than the LaRue, saying that it is made better is well, "odd" to me, to say the least.

The TD QD VG is basically molded, and the side of the grip that clamps against the rail (opposite of the locking lever), is plastic.

The LaRue F.U.G. is cut from a block of "Heat Resistant Engineering Polymer" (Delrin I believe), and all of the areas that contact the rail are metal or alloy. Even though I dont think durability is an issue for this part, I am quite sure that the F.U.G. would outlast the TD if it came down to a tourture test.

As far as either being more comfortable than the other, have you handled both to come to an educated decision on comfort?

Having owned both, I agree with everything said here.

That being said, I prefer the KAC grip over them all. Even with my freakishly large hands (damn extra Y chromosome), the slimmer, simpler, cheaper KAC grip just feels better to me.

Just buy a few used grips from the EE to see which best fits you and your shooting style. As I've said before, grips are like shoes. You can't take someone else's opinion on comfort...you just gotta try 'em on and see.

ROADKING
03-18-09, 19:12
The tango down i looked at had the qd mount and it was made of metal also.

DRich
03-18-09, 19:28
The tango down i looked at had the qd mount and it was made of metal also.

I've got one sitting on the desk in front of me. The lever is metal, but the clamping surface on the opposite side is polymer.

Doesn't really matter, though.

nickdrak
03-18-09, 19:38
I've got one sitting on the desk in front of me. The lever is metal, but the clamping surface on the opposite side is polymer.

Correct, that is what I was referring to on the TangoDown QD VG:
http://i42.tinypic.com/nq1bb7.jpg

Pic of the LaRue F.U.G.'s locking mechanism/contact surfaces
http://i41.tinypic.com/2gtnblk.jpg
(pics from MilitaryMorons.com)

ROADKING
03-19-09, 19:27
The tango down is made the same.

DRich
03-19-09, 20:41

No, it's not. Both clamping surfaces on the LaRue are metal. The Tango Down grip only has one metal clamping surface...which is plainly visible in the pictures above.

Again, it's not that important for function, but this is a "detail oriented" forum and it's important that correct information is presented.

SwatDawg15
03-19-09, 20:56

Could you not see the pictures?

They are both GTG but they are not made the same.

ROADKING
03-19-09, 22:00
The tango down my neighbor has looks nothing like that it has a all metal clamp with a different lockdown.

ROADKING
03-19-09, 22:02
ok you are right i looked at his again close, but the tango down is still just as durable.

cop1211
03-19-09, 22:52
I dont have the Larue, but do have the TD qd, along with the Bobro stubby.
I like both, but my favorite is the Bobro.

DRich
03-19-09, 22:58
...but the tango down is still just as durable.

That's a bold statement considering you don't own or have any experience with either one.

SwatDawg15
03-19-09, 23:26
I have been looking at the different vertical grips and was wanting to know which you prefer. The tango down looks to be pretty tough and a tad bit cheaper and as good as quality as the larue. from what i have read the military uses the tango down. I am sure this has been covered before but i couldnt find nothing on it. I always get opinions before i make a purchase.

ok you are right i looked at his again close, but the tango down is still just as durable.

Ok, so you ask everyones opinions of VFG, then you argue with the guys that are showing you facts on both. They even show you pictures. Then you say that they were right, but its just as good, even when you don't own either?

It seems you have made up your mind, so is there any reason to continue at this point? I mean all these responses were to help you in the first place.

trinydex
03-20-09, 15:34
Strambo,
Sorry, I have a rifle-length MRP upper. This is how it looks - not totally OT, since there's a QD stubby Tango VFG under the sling there! ;):
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2897/sneakymrp18.jpg

With a CQB length MRP, the gas block on an 18" bbl will be exposed. IIRC, 16" and 18" MRP bbls all have mid-length gas systems so it'll look the same as a 16" MRP except just longer.

Bunch of pics here:
Click! (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5955)

how come the front sight is not all the way at the end of the rail?

Lumpy196
03-21-09, 21:40
Well this thread has certainly clearly shown how one is demonstrably better than the other.

DRich
03-22-09, 12:06
how come the front sight is not all the way at the end of the rail?

That's not my rifle, but I mount my front sight in the same manner to allow room for a light at 12 o'clock.

esskay
03-23-09, 00:46
That's not my rifle, but I mount my front sight in the same manner to allow room for a light at 12 o'clock.

Yep, exactly. So as not to derail any further! Pics are here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22625&page=4)

R_CRUZ
03-23-09, 10:09
I bought the FUG because of the 3 tailcaps. I was not looking for a stubby grip, but know I like them. The long flanged one works wonders while shooting prone.

BTW, I am a Laurueminati!

cabbynate
03-25-09, 03:10

I got mine used in the fore sale area here. Some of the fakes are hard to spot. Mine looks real and had one sheet manual and the zip ties.... It seems to be just fine and like I said it locks up on my DD rail rock solid..

lanceriley
05-21-09, 11:37
I recently borrowed a friend's Larue FUG. it's so solid. a little heavier too.

how is the Larue Tango down? I was thinking of getting the larue since i believe it's slimmer and lighter.

I know weight is a little issue but i was hoping to keep my weight down.

so what do you think guys? Tangodown? or Larue Fug

Preferred User
05-21-09, 11:59
I am now using the TangoDown Short after a change in my grip position, two fingers on rail/two on short.

lanceriley
05-21-09, 12:04
yes. Im working on that hold. still practicing though. can't make up my mind on 2 or 3 fingers on the VFG. but thumb is on top of the rail.

is the tangodown as solid as the FUG? I was hoping to get the non QD model or the earlier model.

NCPatrolAR
05-21-09, 12:16
the TD stubby grip is my go-to vfg.

lanceriley
05-21-09, 12:19
yep.. and it's a few bucks more expensive than the longer one.. why is that??? :confused:

Cameron
05-21-09, 12:33
yep.. and it's a few bucks more expensive than the longer one.. why is that??? :confused:

Demand and supply

trinydex
05-21-09, 13:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27865

lanceriley
05-21-09, 19:48
looking at the pictures. It looks like the larue is indeed built better. since both contacts are metal. as compared to tangodown's as metal and plastic. i was hoping people would suggest tangodown since it's cheaper. but darn... looks like Larue

jp0319
05-21-09, 21:25
What about the Troy offering it looks pretty stout and can be converted from stubby to full size?

JesseWin27
05-21-09, 22:15
Ive got the Larue and it is a little heavier than most.

lanceriley
05-21-09, 23:16
haven't seen a lot of the troy.

ErikL
05-21-09, 23:58
I personally like the Tango down stubby, The Knights, or the Daniel Defense over the Standard Tango down or the Larue. I don't like the material the Larue is made out of and the Tango Down is to fat for my sausage fingers.

d90king
05-22-09, 09:25
I prefer the LaRue, I like the variable lengths and the quality...