PDA

View Full Version : LMT Options

dwenslen
12-19-06, 21:29
Was looking into getting a no frills M4 type rifle.
from glancing around here it seems LMT puts out a good product-is it worthwhile to "pay as i go" and get a 14.5 LMT upper, bolt, etc and match it to a LMT lower, or by the time i get all the LMT stuff I could have gotten a Colt?
Trying to add it all up and figure out which is the best deal and best for the money.
No high speed shooting going on here, just would like to have a quality M4 type carbine...any opinions/comments would be appreciated on what to do and where to look.
cheers,
Derek

Harv
12-19-06, 21:48
I sold off a Colt Full size Rifle to get my LMT Lower and a BCM upper with a LMT full auto Group. I am very happy with this Carbine. I will get a lot of hard use with many rds down the pipe and will feel very confident in it's reliability factor.

I'm no genius but I have been know to associate with one or two and I based my choices on there experience and recommendations along with my own and what is important to me. I truly do believe that you get what you pay for and when it comes to AR's I will cowboy up and pay for it.

Just my $.02 on a very satisfied LMT/BCM owner

deadwood83
12-19-06, 21:59
Kinda depends on what you plan to do with it. If you just want to fool around, save your money and get something like a Bushy. However if your life depends on it then get a Colt. If your life doesn't depend on it but you want a really nice, slick, sweet running machine then look towards BCM. For something of the exotic SBR variety look to Noveske. it's all checks and balances. Pretty much you get what you pay for, unless it's a BCM or Noveske. In that case you will probably get more than you expected when you paid for it.

nyeti
12-19-06, 22:19
All of my AR's (I think I'm up to 11 now) are either Colt or LMT. I really like LMT and have good luck with them. Mine are all running MRP uppers with Defender lowers.

dwenslen
12-20-06, 07:52
How is armalite as far as quality goes?
I don't need anything exotic, but want to get the best out there. However, i don't want to pay for a brand name if there are others out there of similar quality for less $$ (more $ left over for optics)

I've had a colt Hbar and a bushy patrolman carbine in the past. From what i have seen online, i reckon i can get a LMT upper and match it to a LMT lower (w/ SOPMOD stock), add a carry handle and be good to go. Is it better to try and stay with one manufacturer for all main components, or are there companies out there known more for their lowers, someone else for uppers, etc...

cheers,
Derek

VA_Dinger
12-20-06, 08:04
I have had great luck with LMT over the past four years. Every one of mine has been 100% reliable.

As a matter of fact every AR I own is a complete LMT. I sold off my last preban Colt years ago.

IMO: dwenslen, go with the 16" LMT M4 unless you’re going to SBR it. Otherwise the short barrel is just a pain in the ass.

davemcdonald
12-20-06, 09:30
A long time ago in a galaxy far away two cats owned a company called Eagle Arms. These two cats decided to go their separate ways. One bought the Armalite name and the other created his own company using his last name, Lewis.
LMT is favored by many here and on the many other websites by people that are immensely more qualified to speak on the subject that I am. They all have their own reasons for choosing LMT and many are happy to share.

Armalite has great marketing potential but they seem to want to rest on their laurels. They have "THE" AR name but they do nothing with it.

If anyone tells you that Colt is crap, you would be hearing a biased BS opinion. Colt is expensive, sometimes hard to get and full of themselves but Colt is still one of the best options on the market.

It is my opinion that you could have somebody like John Noveske, Paul at BCM, Denny or Wes Grant to build you a weapon that is better than a Colt. Like Colt, time and money will come into play here. How much time do you have and how much money are you willing to spend?

The most important aspect of selecting a rifle that is that you buy what you are comfortable with and get good with what you buy. I choose LMT!

Dave

C4IGrant
12-20-06, 16:19
How is armalite as far as quality goes?
I don't need anything exotic, but want to get the best out there. However, i don't want to pay for a brand name if there are others out there of similar quality for less $$ (more $ left over for optics)

I've had a colt Hbar and a bushy patrolman carbine in the past. From what i have seen online, i reckon i can get a LMT upper and match it to a LMT lower (w/ SOPMOD stock), add a carry handle and be good to go. Is it better to try and stay with one manufacturer for all main components, or are there companies out there known more for their lowers, someone else for uppers, etc...

cheers,
Derek

Pass on the Armalite. LMT is a good brand for sure. Another virtually unknown AR manufacturer is Sabre Defence. They have the capability of building a mil-spec weapon. I will be offering them in 1/7 twist, with M4 barrel exntesions and M4 receivers in the very near future.

C4

Harv
12-20-06, 19:34
Deadwood83

However if your life depends on it then get a Colt. If your life doesn't depend on it but you want a really nice, slick, sweet running machine then look towards BCM

I always keep my life and my loved ones Lives at the top of the list when Buying an AR... Thats' WHY I chose a BCM Upper....;) You can depend on it.....

M4arc
12-20-06, 20:48
I like LMT. I've always had good luck with their stuff and everything runs like it should. I have two complete LMTs (16" & 10.5") and another complete upper (14.5") and I've been extremely satisfied and trust them with my life.

I'd like to pick up another complete lower and upper from Grant at some point this spring and put them in the safe for a rainy day.

dwenslen
12-20-06, 21:22
I like the idea that i can get all the parts i need from LMT and put it together as i get the money together, a lower (w/ sopmod stock), then upper, bolt, etc...sort of a build as i go.

thanks for the opinions and insight. I've been shooting AR's since i got a HBAR when i was 14 (i'm 31 now), but never really "learned" the weapon.
cheers,
Derek

TimP
12-21-06, 13:08
Yeah, I have a 10.5LMT now, and i am planning on picking up a LMT lower to play with. I just dont wanna have to pay another 200 to SBR it. Maybe I'll just get a complete LMT gun

koalorka
12-22-06, 02:20
I was considering an LMT 14.5" upper myself but for some reason I just can't stomach their logo etched in white lettering near the top of the receiver. It ruins what would have been a great M4 clone..

BTW does anyone know who forges receivers and other components for BCM? I've been hearing nothing but good about them and was curious. Is it manufactured in-house, supplied by CMT, where do they get their barrels?

Thanks in advance.

M4arc
12-22-06, 05:44
I was considering an LMT 14.5" upper myself but for some reason I just can't stomach their logo etched in white lettering near the top of the receiver. It ruins what would have been a great M4 clone..

BTW does anyone know who forges receivers and other components for BCM? I've been hearing nothing but good about them and was curious. Is it manufactured in-house, supplied by CMT, where do they get their barrels?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion the LMT logo is more visible in pictures than it is in person. I hardly notice it on my two LMTs but then again, I'm not looking for it.

Paul uses CMT upper receivers for his BCM uppers.

dwenslen
12-22-06, 08:01
someone please educate me-what is CMT and BCM?
any other company on par w/ LMT that i should consider for a basic no-frills carbine?
thanks in advance
cheers,
Derek

C4IGrant
12-22-06, 08:05

Thanks in advance.

BCM does use upper receivers by CMT. Where they get their barrels is a secret. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
12-22-06, 08:07
someone please educate me-what is CMT and BCM?
any other company on par w/ LMT that i should consider for a basic no-frills carbine?
thanks in advance
cheers,
Derek

CMT= Continental Machine and Tool. BCM = Bravo Company Manufacturing. It is owned by Paul of Bravo Company (a dealer on this board).

CMT does NOT make AR's. They do make parts though.

For AR's on par with LMT, I would stick with BCM and Sabre Defence.

C4

Harv
12-22-06, 22:13
If you want an Upper that is as close to a Colt as far as the TDP... then get a BCM upper from Paul at bravo Company.

He takes absolutely NO short guns on these uppers and I could not be happier with it.......:D