PDA

View Full Version : .223 Resizing Die Question

HES
03-16-09, 09:06
Ok so Im about to buy the dies for my Hornady LnLAP. Since I've got a Hornady machine, I thought Id go with Hornady dies. Well then Im talking to a friend and he said to only use the RCBS small base die sets Vs. the regular resizing die. Is he right, wrong? If he's right, can you explain to me why?

Artos
03-16-09, 09:13
Go with the standard FL / expander ball for auto loaders. This is really a better and more simple method.

I use the redding small base body dies for my custom bolt guns so I can tweek neck tension / min. resizing & I'm also using a much smaller amount of hand prepped brass....it is overkill for an every day AR / bulk reloading.

rat31465
03-16-09, 09:58
Your friend is right and wrong. A small base resizing die will resize the area around the web of the cartridge casing that may swell enough after repeated firings to cause FTF and or FTE.
For the most part a properly adjusted full length resizer will be sufficent for most firearms.
If you decide to use a small base die set the added benefits outweigh and offset the minor difference in price IMO.
Personally I use small base dies for my AR )Semi-Auto) Rifle loads and either FL or Neck Sizing Dies in my bolt guns.
I always make it a point to use the Small Base Dies for the first loading when sizing any used or once fired brass that I may come across or have given to me.
It gives me a little extra peace of mind so I use them.

Ttwwaack
03-16-09, 16:07
I'm currently using a Redding FL die with a .246 neck sizing button, comp seating die and a Lee factory crimp die (to be changed out soon to a Redding Taper crimp 223 die). I was using RCBS standard 223 Full Length die for years putting 5-6 loads on factory brass and 3 on 'once fired' procured brass with no problems in the AR. Although SB dies could be used for the AR, I see no need to overwork the brass since I haven't had a problem.

When I was shooting alot of 308 in an M1A and was using once fired military brass (I.E. fired through a training M-60), I always sizied with a Small Base Die Set and after shooting let it lay there. The same goes for the CETME too due to the fluted chamber.

I use an RCBS precision case gauge setting up my resizing die so I don't overwork my brass. I FL size them .002 under what they average coming out of the chamber. I've got three ARs that fired brass comes out at .004 and if I FL resize till the shell holder touches the die, they come out .004/5 under. Although they are $45.00, they save time on case trimming.