PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556

mark5pt56
12-20-06, 18:29
I stopped into the www.the-armory.com tonight to pick up my new Galco belt and the owner just got the first one in, it's his by the way.

This is the first version, no sights at all. It had the stock as depicted and railed plastic hg's.

I really like the short throw selector. I have short thumbs and had to adopt a slight inboard cant in the ready for my thumb to hit it w/o altering my master grip. No biggie since it was flipped to fire as I came on target. Trigger was nice, little take up. Balance was great, doesn't feel like it's true weight. According to litereature provided to him via email a CTR stock fits the tube which means it's milspec. I didn't have a chance to go into it any further.

Two versions should be arriving. second will have a $100 price increase and offer the same front sight as the 550 series. Not clear on the rear, however it seems as if it will be the 550 type.

Third one will have a quad railed forend and be compatible with 1913 after market sights as well as the 2nd model type.

They have 60 on order with 35 or so spoken for.

Just passing it along!

Mark

Hawkeye
12-21-06, 08:10
Interesting...

SuicideHz
12-21-06, 10:28
So the little picture on his site is the actual rifle he received? Looks a lot like the old one and nothing like the recent pictures I've seen...

SuicideHz
12-21-06, 10:32
Looked at Sig's site. They've still got that A2 FH on upside down!! Nice looking rifle. The stock would go in the trash and my SOPMOD or CTR would go right on ASAP. I really wouldn't mind using my KAC 300m rear BUIS on that either- assuming it will accept AR15-height sigts and I think it's a safe assumption with all of the Eotechs and such out there. Then again, maybe it's made to lower 1/3-cowitness without a mount...

ETA: Found one on Gunbroker. Traditional grip as opposed to one on SIG's site. Cheaper looking rail on flattop than SIG shows and no front sight.

http://www.hyattgunshop.com/images/X7653%20Sig%20556%20NIB/DSCF5340.JPG

SIG lists an MSRP of $1299. This guy wants over 50% more- $1999! :eek:

LOKNLOD
12-21-06, 10:58
What are you supposed to do for a front sight on the model without sights or a full rail (Like the one Suicide posted)?

Robb Jensen
12-21-06, 13:59
What are you supposed to do for a front sight on the model without sights or a full rail (Like the one Suicide posted)?

SiG didn't think that one out too well.

GlockWRX
12-21-06, 14:30
There is a dovetail on the FSB (or whatever it is in Sig parlance) that will accept the detachable sight. As mentioned, there are two more models coming soon, both of which will have iron sights from the factory. You will be able to retrofit the sights onto the rifle currently available.

It does not appear that standard AR sights or optic mounts will work. The distance from the top of the stock to the rail is farther than on an AR. The Magpul CTR with cheek riser might be able to correct that.

This is all gathered from posts and commentary on Sigforum and other places. The sources are pretty well tuned into Sig and get a good scoop, so I have no reason to doubt them. Then again, it is the internet.

Basenji
12-31-06, 21:37
This is Bill Garner from the Armory with my rifle putting on the mystery front sight. The other shot a front view of the MFS. The buffer tube is commercial. Full reports http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/113108477
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/539109887
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/539109887

RyanS
01-01-07, 09:13
Thanks Basenji.

But for the stock and forearms, that's a nice looking rifle. It does intrigue me and I am anxious to grope one. I am disappointed however that SIG either didn't have sights ready for ready to ship with the guns or didn't intend to ship the sights with the guns but is now offering them due to complaints. To top it off, it appears that they are charging more for rifles with sights than without.

Does anyone know where SIG is at in terms of offering the rifle with the traditional handguards and stock?