PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using An Omega Rail As A True Free Float?

Magsz
03-16-09, 23:09
Yes, i know that technically the Omega rails are considered free float rails since they do not attach to the barrel but since the rail does not have its own proprietary barrel nut, i was wondering if anyone had any issues using rail mounted sights on their omega rails and subsequently zeroing their rifles.

I recently purchased an upper that i am absolutely stoked about but i got to thinking that since there are technically four contact points on the rail that interface with the barrel if the set screws were not equally screwed into the rail your sight plane wouldnt be in line.

This is a very preemptive topic since i havent had a chance to get out and shoot the rifle nor zero it (im going to try and do it tomorrow) so this is basically me just asking for experiences from other users.

I really dig the profile of the omega rail plus the length that i picked up and im really hoping it will work as id like to get another upper in this configuration.

Thanks for any feedback and info anyone can give me, it will be greatly appreciated!

PS, im using a troy flip up/down rear and an LMT fixed front.

Adam
03-17-09, 02:03
The set screws pull the rail forward until it is up against the Barrel nut, just torque them and the rail will be parralell to the barrel. I have a 9.0 omega on my 10.5 with a lmt front sight, I have been running his setup since Last July without any issues.

kukang
03-17-09, 04:25
Here's mine...............

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/pooping/Picture029.jpg

rob_s
03-17-09, 04:48
Just my opinion but...

The DD Omega was designed for "drop in" installation in situations where the front sight base couldn't (as with a pinned muzzle device) or shouldn't (as with some issued guns) be removed to install a traditional FF rail.

Personally, I would prefer to use a DD M4 or Lite rail if I did not have the above restriction, and doubly so if I was going to extend it past the gas block.

However, I don't think that you'll have an issue mounting the front sight on an Omega rail.

GaryG
03-17-09, 15:00
I have 3 DD Omega rails on 3 uppers, and Rob has a zillion times more experience than me; but personally, I wouldn't mount a front sight (or optic) on a free float rail if you expected to do any semi-precision shooting.

rob_s
03-17-09, 15:14
I wouldn't be looking for precision shooting with irons either, but I don't know that it's not possible.

Remember that they are called "back up" iron sights for a reason. I don't think anyone is trying to win Camp Perry with them.:D

markm
03-17-09, 15:23
I've been wondering if there's any downside to mounting an aimpoint (for example) in a standard mount out on the FF rail to position it much like you get with a cantilever style mount. :confused:

I've heard people say it's not cool, but functionally I can't see an issue with it.

seb5
03-17-09, 20:33
I've been wondering if there's any downside to mounting an aimpoint (for example) in a standard mount out on the FF rail to position it much like you get with a cantilever style mount. :confused:

I've heard people say it's not cool, but functionally I can't see an issue with it.

I don't see the issue myself and the flip side is that you have an enormous field of view with the RDS up there. Of course the balance will change too.

Magsz
03-17-09, 21:53
Had no problems zeroing my red dot today naturally.

I will say however that my red dot ended up NOWHERE near my irons so i cant wait to see how the irons zero when i get more than 10 minutes to actually shoot the build.

chadbag
03-17-09, 23:12
Yes, i know that technically the Omega rails are considered free float rails since they do not attach to the barrel but since the rail does not have its own proprietary barrel nut, i was wondering if anyone had any issues using rail mounted sights on their omega rails and subsequently zeroing their rifles.

I recently purchased an upper that i am absolutely stoked about but i got to thinking that since there are technically four contact points on the rail that interface with the barrel if the set screws were not equally screwed into the rail your sight plane wouldnt be in line.

Let's think this through.

Omega rail is tight with no wobble?

If yes, then who cares if it is parallel to the barrel or anything else?

Your sight plane is between the rear aperture and the front sight post and has nothing to do with what your front barrel or anything looks like.

Your barrel could be in the shape of a big U with a weird modern art forearm and you could still get a perfectly usable "sight plane."

The issue is whether or not the thing that the front sight is attached to is firmly attached to the rear of the gun. Not whether or not the rail is exactly parallel to the barrel. The FSB or gas block sight for that matter when used also need to be firm with no wobble or movement. It is not a rail issue.

Obviously you want it more or less in the same line as the barrel points to avoid having to have massive amounts of windage adjustment in the back

Magsz
03-18-09, 11:54
Let's think this through.

Omega rail is tight with no wobble?

If yes, then who cares if it is parallel to the barrel or anything else?

*Snip*

Obviously you want it more or less in the same line as the barrel points to avoid having to have massive amounts of windage adjustment in the back

Yes, its tight but the last sentence is what has me worried. Im wondering about excessive windage due to the rail not being aligned.

Again, i need to get out there and shoot it with irons before i continue.

Tulsot
03-23-09, 11:58
rob s,

Could you expound on why you would not use an Omega, given the choice for an application where the rail will extend past the gas block.

Thanks, Virgil

Tulsot
03-23-09, 12:03
rob s,

Could you expound on why you would not use an Omega, given the choice for an application where the rail will extend past the gas block.

Thanks, Virgil

theJanitor
03-23-09, 12:17
rob s,

Thanks, Virgil

It's just that the OMEGA was designed as a workaround for those who CAN'T remove the FSB (whether to follow rules or in the instance of a permanently attached muzzle device). in other words, it's a compromise solution (and we have to assume the performance may be marginally compromised too).

there are other FF rails out there designed specifically for FF use. If you have the flexibility to remove the FH and change the GB, then look to the more robust solutions form DD, Larue, etc.

to add: I personally use a DD Omega rail on my LMT

rob_s
03-23-09, 12:22
rob s,

Thanks, Virgil

I am big on reducing joints and parts in any system. This comes from my "day job" in construction where every joint and every part is just another potential failure point.

The Omega was originally intended as a solution for those that wouldn't (due to laziness), couldn't (due to lack of tools or skills, or a permanently attached muzzle device) or shouldn't (due to department or agency restriction) remove the FSB and barrel to install a rail. The trade off is that it has more parts and joints than an M4 or Lite Rail by the same company. Dimensionally it offers no real advantage over the other DD offerings.
Model | Height | Width | ID
M4 | 2.43 | 1.94 | 1.45
Lite | 2.43 | 2.06 | 1.23
Omega | 2.43 | 1.90 | 1.10

In addition to the above, I find the best type of low-profile gas block to be one where the stock front sight base is removed and shaved down. To do this for the Omega you have to get very aggressive with this shaving due to the small ID, which is in turn a result of the modular nature of the rail system. Again, if there is a limitation such as a non-removable muzzle device then the FSB can be ground down in place (gotM4 has done this at least once in the past and posted pictures here) and the Omega might be a viable solution.

In short, if there is no compelling reason that the front sight base and barrel nut cannot be removed, I would go with the M4 or Lite. Further, if the reason the FSB and nut can't be removed is a "shouldn't" then I hardly think that cutting down an FSB or swapping it out for a low profile would be an option.

Magsz
03-23-09, 14:08
The gun held up fine after 1780 rounds this past weekend.

I will go on record as saying that this kind of a build is probably less than ideal since like Rob said, there are quite a few extra parts on these rails.

The quality is fantastic but we all know that the second you add more shit you also add more failure points.

I beat the hell out of the rifle this past weekend and while it passed with flying colors im interested to see how long its going to continue passing these kinds of torture tests.

Only time will tell.

If i wasnt so married to the profile of the Omega rails i would definitely switch it out.

sigmundsauer
03-24-09, 14:02
My 7.0 Omega Rail has held up great. But I have two rules: First, I do not intend to mount a sight on top of it, if only because there's a theoretical possibility to be a slight offset from the upper receiver. I'm not interested in any sight that far out anyway. And, second, I mount my vert grip not past the center point to reduce torque/leverage against the delta ring and mounting hardware. With this in mind, I think the Omega Rail is a phenomenal product and fully capable of field use. I mounted mine on a 6920 that I had no interest in breaking down its factory-assembled, semi-perm components.

Tim

markm
03-24-09, 14:16
The gun held up fine after 1780 rounds this past weekend.

DANG! :eek:

Magsz
03-24-09, 14:27
DANG! :eek:

Fired quite a bit more than i anticipated at this past weekends Magpul Class. I had some issues zeroing due to a loose aimpoint mount.

Ill be beating this setup into the ground at another Magpul Dynamics Carbine 2 class in June.

Here's hoping she will hold up. :p