PDA

View Full Version : PWS Diablo 7" Piston 223-Any personal experience

Nevermiss
03-17-09, 13:36
I'm still looking for an SBR upper. This is to be used for recreation. I already have a 16" and 18" AR for longer range shooting.

I don't think the ballistics on this will be very good, but it is designed to shoot well to 200 yards, which is fine with me.

Ideally, I would like this in 6.8 SPC and it sounds like PWS is working on this, but it may be a while.

I've thought about other SBRs in 10.5" or 12", but this 7" just seems like it would be fun to shoot, especially with the cheaper cost of 223 compared to 6.8 which may be available in the future.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

http://http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1220

PlatoCATM
03-17-09, 15:13
Is this carbine in full production yet? I saw skdtac.com has a promo run on the flash suppressor that is used on the PWS diablo. It looks pretty cool, but I will never own that short of a carbine to need that accessory.

Dave L.
03-17-09, 15:17
I ordered one of those PWS CQB Comps, it's sitting at home with a new LMT 10.5" upper. I wont be home for anther 2 months though. :(

Nevermiss
03-17-09, 16:17
Is this carbine in full production yet? I saw skdtac.com has a promo run on the flash suppressor that is used on the PWS diablo. It looks pretty cool, but I will never own that short of a carbine to need that accessory.

I called Addax Tactical today and I was quoted 3 weeks on delivery for the upper.

jcgfire33
04-03-09, 13:52
My Diablo is on the way......CAN"T WAIT! I'm thinking about building a new dedicated lower for this and obviously getting my SBR tax stamp. For now I'll have to settle with swapping it on to my current POF SBR. I'll send some pictures and feedback as soon as I can.

eternal24k
04-03-09, 21:25
My Diablo is on the way......CAN"T WAIT! I'm thinking about building a new dedicated lower for this and obviously getting my SBR tax stamp. For now I'll have to settle with swapping it on to my current POF SBR. I'll send some pictures and feedback as soon as I can.

Can't wait for a range report and some detailed pics :)

wicked_police
04-03-09, 21:41
A friend up here has the Diablo upper. He ran it last week, said it's a terrific little piece, runs great.
And the muzzle brake/comp works awesome, directs the muzzle blast and sound forward of the shooter.

I'm thinking of getting an upper as well to throw on one of my lowers. :)

Only bad thing is they aren't cheap, and with our dollar being crap right now, makes it even worse to get one up here. :(

Addax
04-22-09, 16:14
The DIABLO is just BAD ASS!

I have shot the prototype and final production versions, and I am just loving the piston system...;)

eternal24k
04-22-09, 18:11
I would love if they did a version in 7.62x39

davemcdonald
04-22-09, 18:51
I shot one a couple weeks ago on an M16 lower. Very controllable and easy to shoot. They are made to be run hard. The PWS piston system rocks!

Dave

Addax
04-22-09, 18:55
I would love if they did a version in 7.62x39

Check back with us (Addax) regarding this in approx. 4-5 months...;)

pinkejon
05-16-09, 00:10
Here is my Diablo. It sits on a POF Gen II P-415 lower. I have a 3.2 lbs Timney trigger, stag lower parts kit, Miad, Milspec CTR, and I also have front and back mbus and the ASAP plate and MS2 sling. ( mbus and sling adapter and sling not pictured.) I will say this. The Diablo shoots really well. The Comp pushes the flash and noise forward. We did a night shoot for our Dept and it has almost no flash. The rifle doesn't ride up. It it the best purchase I've made in a long time. I have had it since April and have put about 500 rounds through. Easy three shot groups about the size of a quarter from the 100 meter. I haven't tried any farther yet since most of our shooting is 100 or closer. Well worth the money.

The other plus is cleaning the rifle. i was used to the DI systems with using the m-16 A1, A2 and the M4 in the service. Dirty guns compared to the piston. My upper has 4 coats of militec baked on to assist with the cleaning.

I will get new pics tomorrow.

lanceriley
05-16-09, 07:28
barrel heats up really fast

mpardun
05-16-09, 08:59
Rainier Arms has one in stock - ready to take your $1,650:
http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/8b1229aedcbc4e5478fe7e4ab7a109dd.jpg

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1428

The_War_Wagon
05-16-09, 09:05
=pinkejon;370463]Here is my Diablo. It sits on a POF Gen II P-415 lower.

GREAT lookin' piece of ordnance there, but isn't that a Gen.III POF lower? :confused:

pinkejon
05-16-09, 09:32
GREAT lookin' piece of ordnance there, but isn't that a Gen.III POF lower? :confused:

No its a Gen II. I bought it in Nov from Rainier. The only difference I've found between the Gen II and the Gen III is the amibi bolt release. Not sure if there is any other diferences other than price.

pinkejon
05-16-09, 17:01
Here is the updated finished rifle.

flyinrob
05-18-09, 08:58
Very nice gun. Have you worked up any reloads for the shorter barrel?

What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting from the short barrel?

Does anyone have it in 6.8 yet?

CarlosDJackal
05-18-09, 10:07
DSGArms had these in stock as well last week. I considered picking one up but since I would not find any write-up on its performance, I decided to hold off and purchased a BCM 11.5-inch upper instead.

Anyone shoot one extensively yet?

pinkejon
05-18-09, 11:23
Very nice gun. Have you worked up any reloads for the shorter barrel?

What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting from the short barrel?

Does anyone have it in 6.8 yet?

Thanks, I am just getting into reloading. Haven't used any yet. As for velocity, I haven't checked.

Easy MOA at 100 meters. I haven't shot anything farther yet. Its an easy shooter. Very little muzzle rise compared to our 16" Bushmaster's that are issued by the Dept.

Hopefully this summer I will get some ammo reloaded (can't find any primers). I am also trying to get to a 400m range to see how far out it is accurate.

flyinrob
05-18-09, 19:02
Thanks, I am just getting into reloading. Haven't used any yet. As for velocity, I haven't checked.

Easy MOA at 100 meters. I haven't shot anything farther yet. Its an easy shooter. Very little muzzle rise compared to our 16" Bushmaster's that are issued by the Dept.

Hopefully this summer I will get some ammo reloaded (can't find any primers). I am also trying to get to a 400m range to see how far out it is accurate.

That's great accuracy for a 7" barrel! Were you using the eotech? That's a 1 moa dot right? If the barrel itself shoots 1 moa and the red dot is 1 moa, then it really doesn't matter if the gun is any more accurate. Your eotech wouldn't help you aim any more accurately.(Is that correct grammar?) Anyways, in a CQB environment this is intended for 1 moa is plenty sufficient.

Also, I feel your pain with the rifle primers. At least Cabelas allows you to backorder them. They are giving me an ETA of 1-2 weeks for my federal small rifle primers and 3-4 weeks for large rifle primers. It's frustrating, but what can you do? (Practice with the pistol in the meanwhile)

pinkejon
05-18-09, 22:26
That's great accuracy for a 7" barrel! Were you using the eotech? That's a 1 moa dot right? If the barrel itself shoots 1 moa and the red dot is 1 moa, then it really doesn't matter if the gun is any more accurate. Your eotech wouldn't help you aim any more accurately.(Is that correct grammar?) Anyways, in a CQB environment this is intended for 1 moa is plenty sufficient.

Also, I feel your pain with the rifle primers. At least Cabelas allows you to backorder them. They are giving me an ETA of 1-2 weeks for my federal small rifle primers and 3-4 weeks for large rifle primers. It's frustrating, but what can you do? (Practice with the pistol in the meanwhile)

Yes that is with the eotech. The dot is 1 moa. I was getting consistant groups at 100 m from a gun bench vise while i was sighting it in.

Another officer has a Noveske diplomat barrel 7.5" and he was getting about the same groups. It is amazing.

I remember in the early 90's using 11.5" colt commandos in the service and you were lucky to get 3 moa at 100m (exageration). But your accuracy past 100m was terrible with the commando. The new sbr's are shooting great.

Cabelas lets you backorder? Thats a good idea. I have been waiting for small rifle military primers from Natchez. They don't backorder, but contact you when they have them in stock. I might have to backorder a couple thousand primers from Cabelas. There are 4 of us on the dept reloading now. 1 experienced with equip and 3 novices (myself included). Can't wait to start. Its so much cheaper than buy ready made stuff.

If you are thinking of ordering the Diablo try directly through their website. Thats what I did. I think it took 7 days from the order to delivery. I'll try to locate a chronograph to get velocities for you.

flyinrob
05-19-09, 23:55
Yes that is with the eotech. The dot is 1 moa. I was getting consistant groups at 100 m from a gun bench vise while i was sighting it in.

Another officer has a Noveske diplomat barrel 7.5" and he was getting about the same groups. It is amazing.

I remember in the early 90's using 11.5" colt commandos in the service and you were lucky to get 3 moa at 100m (exageration). But your accuracy past 100m was terrible with the commando. The new sbr's are shooting great.

Cabelas lets you backorder? Thats a good idea. I have been waiting for small rifle military primers from Natchez. They don't backorder, but contact you when they have them in stock. I might have to backorder a couple thousand primers from Cabelas. There are 4 of us on the dept reloading now. 1 experienced with equip and 3 novices (myself included). Can't wait to start. Its so much cheaper than buy ready made stuff.

If you are thinking of ordering the Diablo try directly through their website. Thats what I did. I think it took 7 days from the order to delivery. I'll try to locate a chronograph to get velocities for you.

I talked to someone at PWS last week who quoted me a 4 week wait for the 6.8 upper that I am considering. I guess in the current firearm market the wait won't be any shorter in the future. I'd better pony up the cash. Thanks for the info and advice.

bayonet14
05-29-09, 13:02
I am curious – who has one of these and has put a few hundred rounds thru it? My concern is lack of anti tilt pads – I get it is a “long” stroke piston –vs- a short stroke thus negates the need for anti-tilt pads on the bolt carrier. Any owners out there notice wear or galling in the buffer tube? Thanks

Also - anyone run a can on one yet? I run a can on my LWRC 10.5 and get gassed out...:D

Addax
06-10-09, 12:56
I am curious – who has one of these and has put a few hundred rounds thru it? My concern is lack of anti tilt pads – I get it is a “long” stroke piston –vs- a short stroke thus negates the need for anti-tilt pads on the bolt carrier. Any owners out there notice wear or galling in the buffer tube? Thanks

Also - anyone run a can on one yet? I run a can on my LWRC 10.5 and get gassed out...:D

I have not noticed any serious wear or galling with the buffer tube.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds through my 5.56 model, and I just received my 6.8 SPCII version.

bayonet14
06-10-09, 13:35
I have not noticed any serious wear or galling with the buffer tube.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds through my 5.56 model, and I just received my 6.8 SPCII version.

SO there is signs of wear but nothing major? I could live with that . You running a H2 buffer on the 5.56?

I bet the 6.8 is "Very Nice" :cool:

And as not to exceed the 3 question limit - where did you get your 5.56 and 6.8 uppers...I have priced one here in Fay NC and they want $2000 "ouch" ... so please give a shameless plug where you picked up your's?

Addax
06-10-09, 15:13
SO there is signs of wear but nothing major? I could live with that . You running a H2 buffer on the 5.56?

And as not to exceed the 3 question limit - where did you get your 5.56 and 6.8 uppers...I have priced one here in Fay NC and they want $2000 "ouch" ... so please give a shameless plug where you picked up your's?

I am running a H2 buffer on mine, but sometimes I switch to H1 for light loads.

I will PM you some info.

Thanks,
Chris

flyinrob
06-10-09, 15:15

I'll save him the shameless plug. :D He's a dealer. Addax Tactical (http://www.adxtactical.com) That's where I ordered my 6.8 Diablo. Unfortunately, I still have another 2 weeks to wait for delivery.

BTW I'm still waiting on the range report you promised on 68forums.

bayonet14
06-10-09, 15:31
I'll save him the shameless plug. :D He's a dealer. Addax Tactical (http://www.adxtactical.com) That's where I ordered my 6.8 Diablo. Unfortunately, I still have another 2 weeks to wait for delivery.

BTW I'm still waiting on the range report you promised on 68forums.

Cool - would like a range report on that 6.8 as well - and in 7" whew - a smoker no-less...

CarlosDJackal
06-10-09, 15:37
How about here: DSG Arms (http://www.dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2296/diablo-upper-from-primary-weapon-systems.cfm?CFID=564645&CFTOKEN=9d1cf93a88e4654b-CBDF51FA-2BF4-1417-65A764967D16E9AF) :)

bayonet14
06-10-09, 16:54
How about here: DSG Arms (http://www.dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2296/diablo-upper-from-primary-weapon-systems.cfm?CFID=564645&CFTOKEN=9d1cf93a88e4654b-CBDF51FA-2BF4-1417-65A764967D16E9AF) :)

Price: $1,650.00 Thats more like it :D and more better...

xfive
06-16-09, 06:30
I'm also getting mine next month, still waiting for a lower though, hopefully a Sun Devil:)

flyinrob
06-25-09, 15:42
The quoted 3 weeks have come and gone and still no sign of the upper. I have already loaded up some ammo for it, but ammo without the gun is useless;) Hopefully it will come soon.

ranger216
07-10-09, 02:56
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/ranger216inf/DSCF0003.jpg

Rated21R
07-10-09, 08:04
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/ranger216inf/DSCF0003.jpg

that's nasty (in a good way). :D

ranger216
07-13-09, 13:03
i,ve got an extra one ill let loose of.

Tokarev
08-16-09, 09:11
Are the Diablo and the DC7 the same other than the upper?

CarlosDJackal
08-16-09, 21:10
Has anyone shot this extensively enough to post their experience?

pinkejon
08-16-09, 23:52
Are the Diablo and the DC7 the same other than the upper?

All the components are the same except for the Diablo has the VLTOR MUR upper and the DC7 doesn't. It has the same piston system and I believe the same BCG and coatings.