PDA

View Full Version : Will a KX3 work on an LWRC SBR?

Halfbreed_83
03-17-09, 14:30
Hi, first technical post but it's for an SBR so I decided it might be best on this forum. I've also done a brief search, looked through 12 pages, and found nothing on this issue.

I'd like to put a KX3 threaded 5/8x24 on an 6.8 SPC, 8 inch barrel, LWRC gas piston rifle I've ordered. But i've heard the Noveske KX3 doesn't work well with gas piston rifles. Does anyone have any experience to back this up? My goal is mainly aesthetics because I like the way the KX3 looks (I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and have read many harsh opinions on the looks of the KX3:)). However, if this piece could potentially damage my rifle I would not be heart broken if it isn't compatible.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the advice!

Stephen_H
03-17-09, 14:57
As a short stroke piston operated rifle is less likely to need the back pressure boost of the KX3 it will probably induce an overgassed situation. I own one of the LWRC PSDs and I don't think you'll need it from a reliability or muzzle blast redirection POV.

Stephen

CarlosDJackal
03-17-09, 17:11
You really don't need it. Plus, the KX3 does require regular cleaning (I could never take mine apart which is why I stopped using it). Use that cash towards the purchase of a decent optic (I recommend the Aimpoint Micro). Good luck!!

DocGKR
03-17-09, 17:50
Guys on either side of me appreciate the blast re-direction with the KX3's--they seem to work fine on 5.56 mm and 6.8 mm LWRCI uppers...

Halfbreed_83
03-17-09, 18:22
This is interesting. Stephen_H says "it will probably induce an overgassed situation" and DocGKR says "they seem to work fine on 5.56 mm and 6.8 mm LWRCI uppers... "

AHHH!!! I'm so confused :D

CarlosDJackal, I can't afford any accessories for my rifle right now anyways. I'm just looking on down the road. Optics are definitely on my list before this piece.

Thanks for the replys and suggestions!

Cameron
03-17-09, 18:37
KX3 on a PWS Piston 10.5" SBR runs like a champ, do use the PRI gas buster charging handle though...

Halfbreed_83
03-19-09, 08:44
Upon further investigation: http://forum.lwrci.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2960&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=noveske+kx3
This thread has to do with someone having problems with his LWRC rifle. Here's an explanation why the KX3 might have been to blame (a quote from the thread):

"Theory Part 1

I think its that the KX3 has two .250"~ holes for the gas to equalize out of before the next round spikes the pressure in the expansion chamber. The concaved cone probably exasperates the issue. Suppressors have an expansion chamber with a larger ID of the baffles. Possibility to minimize tool bit runout as the drill/reamer is extended way out from the jaws, the tool bit flex is exaggerated and can wander off of true. Larger ID, the gases can spill and equalize faster.

Theory Part 2

The KX3s volume might be nearly equal to a cans expansion chamber, but once its pressurized its increasing back pressure. Its as though you have two more inches of bore with the same sized gas port. On an SBR, or VSBR they are usually reamed to a larger dia. so that it has sufficient back pressure to cycle the action. Keep in mind that a 10.5 you have taken the distance from port to crown from say 3" and added 2.5" in that KX3 under pressure.

"...directs the recoil straight back, and muzzle blast forward"

Krinks aren't ported breaks, they are an expansion chamber with two ports for the gas to vent. Its more of a suppressor than a break.

Breaks are Ported. They can allow gases to expand (dumps energy) as they enter the radial, linear, or axial ports; acting as jets which stabilize the muzzle in space.

On DI SBRs, the overgasing is controlled with rate reducers, but increased gas blowback there. On the SSP, its putting a stronger push into the kinetic transfer. Decreasing your dwell time.

I fixed a gun for a bro (SERIOUS SHOOTER, and TOP NOTCH INSTRUCTOR). It was a LMT MRP 16" with issues. The main culprit was the action spring, but its KX3 on that carbine gas tubed, 16" pipe was like the blowback with a suppressor.

...thats about all I have to say about that."

Looks like I'll have to stick to a regular birdcage comp :)