PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Classic Custom; keep for a future 'built' gun or sell off?

Nathan_Bell
12-20-06, 19:21
I purchased my Classic Custom 7-8? Years ago from a now deceased gunshop. It is a seldomly shot piece, with less than 1500 rounds through it. Now, my question, is the Classic Custom a good gun to consider sending off to one of the 1911 smiths, should I decide to go that way?

SethB
12-20-06, 19:59
They aren't really suitable for builds. So sell it and use a Colt in the future.

RyanS
12-20-06, 20:05
I purchased my Classic Custom 7-8? Years ago from a now deceased gunshop. It is a seldomly shot piece, with less than 1500 rounds through it. Now, my question, is the Classic Custom a good gun to consider sending off to one of the 1911 smiths, should I decide to go that way?

How much do you want for it? :D

SGB
12-20-06, 20:33
I don't much care what the smith would like to build as I do finding a Smith willing to build what I want. The Kimber Classic Custom is IMHO a fine base to build off of. I'd keep it and start shopping for a Smith.

STS
12-20-06, 21:04
They aren't really suitable for builds. So sell it and use a Colt in the future.

Why are they not suitable for builds? Granted you can make a Colt look far better, I have found Kimber I's to make great base guns to build up performance wise.

JBar
12-20-06, 21:11
If it is a Kimber I it is a fine choice for a build. Let the Colt guys spend a bunch of money to get their Colt to the condition of your entry level Kimber. :D

carshooter
12-20-06, 21:20
If it's a Kimber Series I, I think it would make a fine base gun for a custom build.

OTOH, some people prefer an expensive custom build to say Colt on it, and I can understand that.

If it was mine, I'd keep it as a backup gun and only perform a few minor personal enhancements.

Aubrey
12-20-06, 22:45

Yeah; you're much better off starting with a gun that needs dovetails cut for sights, the frame tangs machined off for a proper grip safety, the front strap cut for a high grip, a proper thumb safety fitted, the slide-to-frame fit tightened up, and serrations machined into the slide for pinch checks. The pre-Series-II Kimbers are just junk. Your pistolsmith will be much happier if you start with a genuine Colt's.

SethB
12-21-06, 11:01
Evidently I hit a nerve.

Firstly, there can be no argument on the cosmetic issue. Kimbers don't look all that hot.

If you want a new beavertail you would probably get a CMC that would have gaps showing.

The sight cuts are proprietary and not always tight. They don't necessarily drop sights right in, or at least they don't always keep them in.

The barrel isn't particularly corrosion resistant.

The high cut feels shitty compared to a custom one.

They are a mix and match of stainless and carbon steel. Ever seen one reblued? Not always pretty.

So, yes, you can do it, and you may save some money.

What you end up with is an OK pistol that costs 75% of what a great one would.

Aubrey
12-21-06, 11:40
SethB,
My apologies; I came off a bit strong. My intent was that your basic Colt's need a fair amount of modifications to meet most people's wants. No argument from me on the cosmetics. The prancing pony is a desirable feature to many (including me), and it will be worth something sould one decide to sell/trade. For a full-house custom "build", I too would prefer a Colt's (Series '70 reproduction). I'd expect it that may cost a bit more though.

Nathan_Bell
12-21-06, 12:05
From the sounds of it, I need to decide if I am going to have a full out custom built or just tweaking. If it is just a few tweaks for reliabilty and shootability, go with the Kimber. If I am going to invest in a several thousand dollar build, go with a Colt base gun as it is a better investment.

This sum up what has been covered fairly well?

carshooter
12-21-06, 21:32
Lyrch,

I think that was exactly what everyone was trying to say. In my experience, the Kimber Series I guns are pretty much good to go right out of the box.

We've all got those minor personal touches we want to add, and if they're only minor, I'd keep the Kimber.

If you want to do a full on custom build, then I'd sell it to fund a Colt for a base gun. Their really is something about the prancing pony on the side!

My 2 cents.

SethB
12-21-06, 22:11
From the sounds of it, I need to decide if I am going to have a full out custom built or just tweaking. If it is just a few tweaks for reliabilty and shootability, go with the Kimber. If I am going to invest in a several thousand dollar build, go with a Colt base gun as it is a better investment.

This sum up what has been covered fairly well?

Thats the conclusion I came to. I have a customized Springfield Milspec.

VA_Dinger
12-21-06, 22:30
One thing that always amazes me about 1911 threads is how strongly guys will pronounce anything they do not personally like to be “Bad”. Based off nothing more than their personal preferences.

- For every 1911 owner who hates Kimber cosmetics there are probably two that love them.
- For every 1911 owner who declares a high cut front strap to be “Required” at least three will not see the advantage.
- If the pistol is going to end up with Novak sights why do I “Need” to start out with a base gun that requires expensive machining to get the dovetails cut? Novak already makes a sight for Kimbers.
- Do you guys see my point?

Custom 1911 options like; high cut front straps, front grasping serrations, etc are personal choices. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO – I don't really see the point of spending the extra money for a Colt base gun. I respect Colt, but let's be honest they can have "Issues" just like all the rest. Especially considering on a full house gun only the slide & frame might actually be used anyway. If you love Colt cosmetics and choose to pay the extra cash that’s fine, but it's most likely not going to get you a "Better" gun when it's all said and done.

Again, it's all up to you.

FYI – I’m sure a Kimber series one would make a fine base gun for future custom work. It would not be my 1st choice, that's just me. I did own a Kimber 25th Anniversary series one gun a few years ago and I had no problems with it.

Jason Burton
12-21-06, 23:00
... is the Classic Custom a good gun to consider sending off to one of the 1911 smiths, should I decide to go that way?

Here’s my take... yes the Kimber will make an adequate base gun for a custom project. But, with that said, if you are going to have a true custom gun built to your spec’s you are much better off to start with a gun that has no predetermined dimensions such as the Kimber pistols do with their sight cuts, beavertail radius, presence of front cocking serrations, pre-beveled magazine well, etc.

IMO, if it is going to be a custom gun I see no real reason to make it less “custom” by having to be locked into what a manufacture has already sold/provided for you. For a custom build it’s my advice, no matter how the build will turn out or what options one chooses, that one use a Colt, Springfield Armory, or Caspian or Les Baer frame and slide... in that order.

While you can certainly have your Kimber customized into more than it is right now if you are going to have a full-custom build why not make it as cool and custom as possible and have it wear the Pony. Just my $0.02...

madryan
12-22-06, 03:14
I guess I didn't get the memo that Kimbers were crappy guns to build up. But then I didn't pay someone else to do mine, so maybe it's just that I didn't know any better. :rolleyes:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/madryan/Kimber-1.jpg

mikebenedict
12-29-06, 16:51
I have quite a few custom Kimber series I pistols. I think they are a great base gun.

Mike

Glockster35
12-30-06, 00:33
I am of the belief that the Series I Kimbers are GTG, Series II may be iffy at best. I have read both good and bad about them.

I had a choice when I was 1911 shopping, the Kimber Custom Classic, or the Springfield Armory Loaded. I went with the SA, because of the blued finish. I don't regret it.

I can always get it refinished with a different coating!

madryan
12-30-06, 11:07
I am of the belief that the Series I Kimbers are GTG, Series II may be iffy at best. I have read both good and bad about them.

Considering that with fairly basic tools you can convert your series II into a series I in about 10min. or so I find this an interesting observation. I've owned both and haven't had issues with either.

Glockster35
12-30-06, 13:09
MadRyan,

I should have also included that when I made the purchase, the Series II Kimbers had only been on the market for about a year or so, and the gun communities (forums) were up in arms over the Schwartz Safety system being included to the Series II Kimbers. There was and probably still is a lot of talk about how the Schwartz Safety caused reliability issues.

Some believe it is not a necessary addition to the firearm. To purists any deviation from JMB's original design is un-warranted, like the external extractors we see currently on the market. I don't really have an opinion on this myself. I believe my .45 ACP SA has a .38 Super firing pin to accomplish the same basic thing.

I do know now that the Schwartz Safety can be bypassed (I have the instructions saved somewhere). At the time I wasn't aware it could be, nor did I have the skills to do it myself. No one I knew had a Kimber Series I or II, no one I know owns one now either.

I have never owned, shot or taken apart a Kimber Series II pistol. I have handled one in a gunshop, and it was nice, just not enough to make the purchase.

Would I buy a Kimber Series II today, yes, I probably would. Would I disable the Schwartz Safety, maybe, but only if I felt it was unreliable.

madryan
12-30-06, 15:23
MadRyan,

I should have also included that when I made the purchase, the Series II Kimbers had only been on the market for about a year or so, and the gun communities (forums) were up in arms over the Schwartz Safety system being included to the Series II Kimbers. There was and probably still is a lot of talk about how the Schwartz Safety caused reliability issues.

Some believe it is not a necessary addition to the firearm. To purists any deviation from JMB's original design is un-warranted, like the external extractors we see currently on the market. I don't really have an opinion on this myself. I believe my .45 ACP SA has a .38 Super firing pin to accomplish the same basic thing.

I do know now that the Schwartz Safety can be bypassed (I have the instructions saved somewhere). At the time I wasn't aware it could be, nor did I have the skills to do it myself. No one I knew had a Kimber Series I or II, no one I know owns one now either.

I have never owned, shot or taken apart a Kimber Series II pistol. I have handled one in a gunshop, and it was nice, just not enough to make the purchase.

Would I buy a Kimber Series II today, yes, I probably would. Would I disable the Schwartz Safety, maybe, but only if I felt it was unreliable.

You can pop the rear sight off and it all sort of falls out. I then ground the plunger in the frame down so it doesn't clear the frame rails and now it may as well be a Series I. As an added bonus, there's now a nifty hole up into the firing pin channel through the bottom of the slide that you can shoot brake cleaner into to clean it out from time to time without even taking the slide off the frame.