PDA

View Full Version : LEO Advice Needed

Irish
03-17-09, 18:13
My wife just called and informed me she was hit in the rear quarter panel by a big rig heading north on I-15 through Las Vegas. She signalled the guy and waved for him to pull over at the next exit, heavy construction area, and he slowed down to let a car in between them. At this point she exited, thinking he would follow, and he continued north bound.
She was able to get the plate number but not the issuing state due to reading backwards in her rearview mirror and him putting a car in between them. Currently she's waiting to file a police report where she exited.
Would any LEO be able to help advise me on the best way of possibly following this up? I know this will not be a high priority for LV Metro, as they are busy frying bigger fish, and I'm wondering if having the plate # as a citizen could help catch the guy in anyway or what my best way of following up on this would be?
Thank you to everyone who can possibly help.

And if I shouldn't be posting this here please accept my apologies. I know there are alot of straight shooting LEOs on here and just looking for a little advice.

Buck
03-17-09, 19:33
If its a hit and run call the Police and make a report... Then call your insurance company and let them do the investigating for you... They have a full team of investigators and that’s why you pay them...

Hit and run = uninsured motorist / unlicensed driver… So be sure to check your policy for your coverage in this area…

B

HwyKnight
03-17-09, 20:27
Did she get any additional info like: plate color, name of trucking company, description of driver, color of the truck, etc. It sounds like a relatively minor impact since she was able to maintain control of her car. It may have felt like a chuck hole to the truck driver, and he may not even be aware that he hit her. If the damage is inconclusive you will wind up with a he-said/she-said type of report. All you can do at this point is file a report with the PD, and your insurance company. Since there are no witnesses this is probably going to wind up with both insurance companies covering their own clients because there will most likely not be any way to prove who hit who.

seb5
03-17-09, 20:39
Quite frankly it's unlikely the rig will be found. If you have full coverage it won't matter. You still need the police report and then contact the insurance company. As stated above they might do the legwork for you. It's really not that hard a thing to chase down the vehicle if she got the tag correctly. If she got it right and the tag is current and correct there's only 50 chances at it! Good luck and I'm sorry for her inconvenience and hope she is OK.