PDA

View Full Version : What are You Reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3

9x19
12-20-06, 20:34
I started reading Six Minutes to Freedom by Kurt Muse and John Gilstrap. I can see why Kurt Muse chose John Gilstrap to write his story. I really like his writing style. I finished the first chapter before going to sleep and I didn't want to put it down. Has anyone else read it? If so, what did you think?

I recently finished The Man Without a Face by Markus Wolf, who was the chief of East German foreign intelligence for over 30 years. The book had a lot of interesting information, but it was a little dry in some parts.

K.L. Davis
12-20-06, 20:44
Longitude

M4arc
12-20-06, 20:45
I read Six Minutes to Freedom about 3 months ago and I really enjoyed it.

After watching the Everest show on the Discovery Channel I'm going to borrow a couple of Everest books from a buddy of mine and read them over the holiday break.

TOrrock
12-20-06, 20:47
About to start "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden.

Pinnacle
12-20-06, 20:52
I just recently found Brad Thor's work. I highly reccomend his books!!!

9x19
12-20-06, 21:34
About to start "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden.

I read that a few years ago, a very interesting book.

9x19
12-20-06, 21:38
I just recently found Brad Thor's work. I highly reccomend his books!!!

I will definitely check them out. I looked at his website and his books look interesting.

Paulinski
12-20-06, 22:02
No True Glory by Bing West - Awesome Book

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0553804022.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

UVvis
12-20-06, 22:50
I do a little martial arts on the side.

A new one coming out soon is the Fighter's fact book 2. Looks good, I've trained a little with a couple of the authors, so I'm interested to see what is in it.

http://www.turtlepress.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FFB2

Robb Jensen
12-20-06, 23:03
I'm re-reading 'Practical Shooting--Beyond Fundamentals' --by Brian Enos and 'Thinking Practical Shooting--A Guide to Outstanding Match Performance' --by Saul Kirsch

I get a little something from each of these as I read them again.

MaceWindu
12-20-06, 23:49
"Roberts Ridge"...bad-ass...

Mace

Striker5
12-21-06, 06:20
I am currently enrolled in the distance Expeditionary Warfare School program and am reading "Warfighting" (the ginormous one, not the little one). Just reading this crap makes me want to get out before I have to do any of this staff tomfoolery.

I just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" - a postapocalyptic novel about a father and son trying to survive in a world where the only eats are canned and other people. His "Blood Meridian" should be required reading for any American of a violent bent. It is my favorite fiction novel.

My Bn CO is having us read "The Devil's Guard" - about SS serving in the Foreign Legion in Indochina.

Killing Pablo is excellent and their is a movie in the works directed by Joe Carnahan ("Narc"), starring Javier Bardem as Escobar.

TOrrock
12-21-06, 07:18
Striker, I read "The Devil's Guard" back in highschool and would love to get another copy.

I thought it was out of print.

Who's the author?

TIA

VA_Dinger
12-21-06, 08:13
I must be the WWII geek.

Last Victory in Russia: Manstein's Kharkov Counteroffensive - February-March 1943 by George Nipe

Lumpy196
12-21-06, 08:19
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1574888560.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Submariner
12-21-06, 09:00
French Women Don't Get Fat. Don't laugh, it's working! And why do you think the Germans invade France in every century?

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis on fascism in the U.S. during the 1930's.

ETA: The text of Devil's Guard is online. I have the link on my other laptop. Will post when I find it.

Yojimbo
12-21-06, 09:03
I'm currently reading "The Afghan Campaign".

FlyAndFight
12-21-06, 09:13
I'm currently not in the middle of any book but the last one I read was fantastic. "Firebirds" by Chuck Carlock. Amazing story of his time flying helicopters in Vietnam. It's got to be one of the most powerful books I've read in a long time. It's both sobering and hilarious at times. I highly recommend it.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8896/firebirdswi4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gun-nut
12-21-06, 13:48
I'm finally reading Blackhawk Down, I can't believe it took me this long to read it.

M4arc
12-21-06, 14:53
I'd probably enjoy that Firebird book. My first book was Chickenhawk when I was 11 and it turned me on to Vietnam era books.

GlockWRX
12-21-06, 14:58
I'm hoping a copy of Crichton's Next is under the Christmas tree waiting for me.

A few I've read in the last few months are Lonesome Dove, Corps Business (for the 2nd time), and Gates of Fire.

Nathan_Bell
12-21-06, 15:12
I am reading Philosophy of Religion for my Faith and WOrld Views class, and it is making my head hurt.

Note to all youngsters out there, finish college the first try. It sucks to do at age 32.

Last learn something, but not school, book was Chariots of the Damned stories about chopper pilots.

MaceWindu
12-21-06, 16:21
I'm finally reading Blackhawk Down, I can't believe it took me this long to read it.

Shame on you! I read it 3x's....das a good read!

Kisara
12-21-06, 17:42
FN Mk46MOD1 manual.

9x19
12-21-06, 19:01
I now have some ideas for my book list. Plus it is good to find out what some of your other interests are.

Edm
12-30-06, 20:41
Currently reading SOG. Great book.

About to begin Vince Flynn's new one.

9x19
12-31-06, 00:14
I finished Six Minutes to Freedom a few days ago, and I didn't want to put it down. Then I started reading In the Company of Heroes. It is also a good read and I don't want to put it down either. I recommend them both.

stevendefense
12-31-06, 01:16
I just finished The Unseen Hand, great book for anyone interested in conspiracy theories. Just started Charlie Wilson's War, seems very interesting so far.

D1g1talV3n0m@adelphia.net
12-31-06, 01:48
Death In The Long Grass-Peter Hathaway Capstick

I enjoy books of hunting in Africa. Takes a different breed to go into head high bush after a lion.

Erick Gelhaus
12-31-06, 12:27
God's Terrorists on the history of Wahhabism and Brad Thor's State of the Union are on my nightstand. A few others are in the hopper.

Pinnacle
12-31-06, 14:28
I'm about half way through Brad Thor's State of the Union and I must say that I am still very impressed. I only wish I had read Lions of Lucerne and The Path of the Assassin in the proper order.

C2Q
12-31-06, 16:02
Currently reading The Battle Belongs to the Lord by J. Meyer and The Grace Awakening by C. Swindoll.

Striker5
01-01-07, 07:20
Chuck Swindoll is an amazing speaker and , I believe, a former leatherneck.

RAM Engineer
01-01-07, 20:02
Death In The Long Grass-Peter Hathaway Capstick

I enjoy books of hunting in Africa. Takes a different breed to go into head high bush after a lion.

Great book. I still have my grandfather's copy that he was reading in the hospital before he died.

I just finished "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson, with "Gates of Fire" up next.

Jason

DrMark
01-01-07, 21:14
Currently reading The Battle Belongs to the Lord by J. Meyer and The Grace Awakening by C. Swindoll.

Good to see you posting. I always enjoyed your input in the Christian forum at the G&R forum.

C2Q
01-01-07, 22:41
Good to see you posting. I always enjoyed your input in the Christian forum at the G&R forum.

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Army Chief
01-02-07, 04:38
Mason's Chickenhawk (reference M4arc's post from page 1) came out not too long before I went to flight school, so naturally we all used it as our tongue-in-cheek reference in training, quoting various passages as if they were part of the syllabus. That was quite funny right up until we fired-off some quips from the book one day in the presence of our (civilian contract/retired military) flight commander.

Turns out, this guy had flown with Mason's outfit in Viet Nam, and knew him -- along with most of the thinly-disguised personalities in the book. Story time ensued. Eventually I asked if any of these guys ever kept in touch, because I found it interesting that Mason seemed to mention having few friends or war buddies from this era. As it turns out, that wasn't really an accident, as the boys found him an odd bird and sort of closed ranks on him. It didn't help that, while everything in the book IS factual, a great many of the vignettes Mason writes about never actually happened to him. Essentially, what he did (according to his peers) was chronicle the collective experiences of several pilots in the unit and publish them as if all of these things had happened to him. Made an already unfortunate situation worse, I guess.

Of course, Chickenhawk is/was still a great read, regardless ... right up until the last few pages, anyway. Most every Army aviator I know still has a copy tucked away somewhere. :)

Chief

C2Q
01-02-07, 16:41
Chuck Swindoll is an amazing speaker and , I believe, a former leatherneck.

Interesting. I didn't know he was in the Marines. His BIO on his website www.insight.org mentions his tour in Asia.

His most requested sermons are playing right now and he has a "Visiting the REAL Twilight Zone Message" that is amazing. It has interrupted my reading...
Chuck Swindoll's Online Broadcasts (http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/insight_for_living/)

Linea_de_Fuego
01-04-07, 00:41
I just finished Secrets of the Koran by Don Richardson.
It is an eye opener about what is taught from the Koran.

He also wrote Peace Child which tells of reconciliation between villages who are killing each other. He is facinating to hear. He spoke at our church about his life as a missionary to the head-hunter cannibals in New Guinea. Here is a discription of that story.

For centuries, the Sawi have lived as cannibal-headhunters, each Sawi village warring with the others. Ordinary murder is nothing to them. To be a "legend maker", you have to create a special scenario in which you pretend to make peace with someone, then kill him when his guard is down. This Sawi ideal is called "tuwi asonai man" ["having caught a pig, to do…"], which means "to fatten with friendship for unexpected slaughter" as one would fatten a pig. The Sawi have no word for nor concept of God; they believe only in disinterested or malevolent demons and spirits of the dead. When missionary Richardson has learned the Sawis' language and tells them the story of Jesus, to his disappointment they brighten at the account of Judas' betrayal of Jesus, and regard Judas as a super-Sawi and as the hero of the story. Richardson feels that he has failed. And his very presence has caused several Sawi villages to come into unnaturally close contact, thereby precipitating constant outbreaks of fighting.

Richardson hasn't yet found the key to making the Gospel effective among the Sawi, but he announces that he's going to leave because he's the cause of the Sawi killing each other. The warriors are distressed at losing the source of their modern medicine and steel axes, so they say they will make peace. In light of the Sawi idealization of treachery, Richardson wonders what possible guarantee there can be of real peace. He soon finds out. The one and only guarantee that all Sawi will honor is an exchange of infants between villages. An exchanged infant is a "Tarop Tim" or "Peace Child". As long as the Peace Child lives, peace is guaranteed. Although most any other murder is honorable, killing a Peace Child is a despicable act.

This is the key Richardson has been waiting for. As he presents Jesus as God's Peace Child who will never die and therefore guarantees everlasting peace, many of the Sawi are transformed by the message, and a church is established.

Bulldog1967
01-04-07, 09:19
Just got a BUNCH of books for the holidays, but BY FAR the BEST one is They Just Don't Get It: How Washington Is Still Compromising Your Safety--and What You Can Do About It , by Col. David Hunt. (http://www.amazon.com/They-Just-Dont-Get-Safety/dp/140009741X/sr=8-1/qid=1167923420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1890051-8668713?ie=UTF8&s=books)

It details our intelligence failures from WAY before but up to and including 9/11. He spares NO ONE.

If you are NOT pissed off when you get done reading this book, then you aren't paying attention.

It is a MUST read for everyone.

9x19
02-01-07, 22:00
I finished In the Company of Heroes by Mike Durant, which I really enjoyed. I liked the way the book was structured with information about his captivity and his life story intermingled, rather than a chronological telling.

I started two different books, Stealth Patrol: The Making of a Vietnam Ranger by Bill Shanahan and John P. Brackin, and The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett.

Seth Harness
02-03-07, 19:52
"Roberts Ridge"...bad-ass...

Mace
I agree

9x19
02-03-07, 21:01
That's another one on my list! :)

rob_s
02-04-07, 07:52
I just finished Wildwood Boys by James Carlos Blake. It's a fictionalized account of a real Civil War Bushwacker named Bill Anderson (also known as "Bloody Bill"). Great book, and I think it speaks alot to why the men who fought did so. It goes very well with an Ang Lee movie "Ride With the Devil" which is also about Bushwackers.

Bill Jeans spends a portion of his 3-day handgun fighting class talking about his reading list and how it pertains to mindset. I need to delve into that list again and start reading.

Jarhead0331
02-04-07, 08:07
Just got a BUNCH of books for the holidays, but BY FAR the BEST one is They Just Don't Get It: How Washington Is Still Compromising Your Safety--and What You Can Do About It , by Col. David Hunt. (http://www.amazon.com/They-Just-Dont-Get-Safety/dp/140009741X/sr=8-1/qid=1167923420/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1890051-8668713?ie=UTF8&s=books)

It details our intelligence failures from WAY before but up to and including 9/11. He spares NO ONE.

If you are NOT pissed off when you get done reading this book, then you aren't paying attention.

It is a MUST read for everyone.

There are several books out there that will "piss you off", especially once you realize the idiots and morons that we have that are running this great country, of ours.

Finally finished "Molon Labe". Now I'm reading "America's Last Days" A Novel by Douglas Mackinnon. It's interesting.

Has anyone else noticed, that more books are coming out with story lines, that have small groups of people taking back control of the government ?

HAMMERDROP
02-04-07, 11:30
Cultural Warrior ... decent so far he is not reinventing the wheel but he is saying things that usually stay under the rug. My wife bought it off of his website and a copy was also sent to a soldier in Iraq.
I fear most of you guys here probably hate him but I go thru phases where I just cant stand it when he opens his mouth due to some of the BS he pursues journalistically and then other times I feel he has picked my brains and I agree totally with him.

Batt 57
02-04-07, 11:49
6 Minutes to Freedom

http://sixminutestofreedom.com/index.php

MudBug
02-04-07, 14:24
I've been kinda reading a couple light books lately during some traveling.

http://www.alssadventures.com/Images/Book%20Pages/main4.jpg (http://www.alssadventures.com/Images/Book%20Pages/main4.jpg)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/1581601433.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shooting-High-Speed-Marksmanship/dp/1581601433)

But my bed time reading has been

http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/0887-1/%7B7E0E82FC-7ACC-425F-B095-3A60FEDA639B%7DImg100.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Jeffersons-War-Americas-Terror-1801-1805/dp/0786712325)

Robb Jensen
02-04-07, 14:31
Andy Stanfords book is excellent. I recommend it all the time.

I also liked "Practical Shooting-beyond fundamentals" by Brian Enos

http://www.brianenos.com/store/img/b.book.jpg

and

"Perfect Practice" & "Thinking Practical Shooting" by Saul Kirsch

http://www.brianenos.com/store/img/b.saul.sm.jpg http://www.brianenos.com/store/img/b.saul2.gif

rayray
02-04-07, 15:00
I'm reading Prey, by Michael Crighton.

RikWriter
02-04-07, 21:38
Just picked up The Night Stalkers by Mike Durant and Steven Hartov. Before that, I just finished finally reading Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.

tikkafan
02-04-07, 23:21
"Not a good day to die"

-Wes-
02-04-07, 23:40
Jerry Kuhnhausen's 2nd Volume in his 1911 series.

M4arc
02-05-07, 08:22
Just picked up The Night Stalkers by Mike Durant and Steven Hartov. Before that, I just finished finally reading Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.

Hey, nice to see you here! Welcome :)

9x19
02-05-07, 18:12

I will have to pick up The Night Stalkers. Someone recommended Stephen Hunter to me, and I've been meaning to pick up one of his books.

SethB
02-06-07, 13:53
Strategic Asia 2005-2006: Military Modernization in an Era of Uncertainty (http://nbr.org/publications/book.aspx?ID=85)

I've also just finished The Prince and begun The Discourses, and am reading several thousand more pages in the coming months.

Fun.

adobewalls
02-06-07, 23:26
"Whether it is better to be loved or feared..." yep, I try to reread the "The Prince" every couple of years. Just goes to show that human nature does not change.

whitecoyote
02-07-07, 00:15
I'm reading "Good Cops, Bad Verdict" by Larry Nevers.
This should be mandated reading for every Police Officer!
Check his book out at www.goodcopsbadverdict.com

bones
02-11-07, 10:04
A Short History of Nearly Everything -- Bill Bryson

Multi-G
02-15-07, 07:34
The last was a re-read of Rogue Warrior, the Demo Dick book. I remember reading it when it first came out.

We just moved and unpacked a number of books I had not thought of for a long time. More re-reading for me.

Cyclic240B
02-15-07, 15:45
Currently, "Walking Away from the Third Reich; A Teenager in Hitlers Army", and next on the cue, "An Emotional Gauntlet; From Life in Peactime America to the War in European Skies".

Gun-nut
02-15-07, 20:57
The last was a re-read of Rogue Warrior, the Demo Dick book. I remember reading it when it first came out.

We just moved and unpacked a number of books I had not thought of for a long time. More re-reading for me.

I just recently finished his latest book "Holy Terror".
I think his first books were better written with John Weisman. I've noticed that with his new coauthor Jim Defelice, that there are several errors and typos in the book. I didn't notice this with John Weisman.

Multi-G
02-16-07, 07:27
I just recently finished his latest book "Holy Terror".
I think his first books were better written with John Weisman. I've noticed that with his new coauthor Jim Defelice, that there are several errors and typos in the book. I didn't notice this with John Weisman.

I have not pick up anything since he split from Weisman. I had pretty much forgoten about the series until I unpacked a few of them. After finishing the first one, I decided to read the next few. When I went to grab Red Cell, and did not have it, I realized I am missing two or three in the series.
Oh well, unpack some more and see if they turn up. :confused:

buddyhoohaw
02-16-07, 12:55
I recently finish "Roughneck 91" by Frank Antenori and have started "In the Company of Heroes" by Mike Durant.

graffex
02-17-07, 13:57
I normally dont read any books but I just picked up a book from my friends dad who is a Vietnam veteren. It's called HILL 488, it's about the 1st Recon Battalion 1st Marine Division who where stationed on this hill and fought a battle that made them the most highly decorated small unit in the entire history of the US military. There where 16 Marines and 2 Navy Corpsmen on the hill that fought off a battalion of hardened north vietnamese regulars and viet-cong outnumbering the americans 25-1.

Nathan_Bell
02-18-07, 18:12
Just finished "NOt a good day to Die", starting to re-read "On Killing" I had forgotten how much whining about society he does in the foreward.

Foxandreed
02-19-07, 01:38
I am reading "The Black Rifle II" and wondering if I have started a dark path of needing to by more AR variations than I can ever have imagined. For what it is worth the wife bought me I and II due to me being injured and bored to death.

Voodoochild
02-28-07, 19:03
Going to pick this one up and read it.

The Book of Five Rings

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Five-Rings-Miyamoto-Musashi/dp/4770028016/sr=8-4/qid=1172710722/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/103-9527909-0834201?ie=UTF8&s=books

usaffarmer
03-02-07, 23:02
"inside delta force", pretty good book. Just finished "none braver" which was a really good book.

Shihan
03-03-07, 02:13
Voodoo that is an OK translation of Musashi's book, this one is closer to the original intent of the writing. Alot is lost in translation, whatever you do stay away from Kaufmans translation.

http://www.amazon.com/BOOK-FIVE-RINGS-Miyamoto-Musashi/dp/B000C9MMSC/ref=sr_1_22/102-8412320-1293713?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172909354&sr=1-22

DocHolliday01
03-03-07, 03:08
im about 100 pages into "One Perfect Op" by Master Chief Dennis Chalker
good stuff

palisut
03-03-07, 05:34
Currently reading Pressfield's "Gates of Fire" for the first time.

cannoncocker
03-03-07, 09:17
Dogs of God; The Moors, the Spanish Inquisition and Columbus.

Maximus
03-03-07, 10:51
I'm reading Falling Forward by John C. Maxwell.

waterdog
03-03-07, 11:27
The Finishing School by D. Couch

Shihan
03-05-07, 16:47
Im thinking of joining the military book club it looks like a good deal? Anyone have any comments on it?

Thanks

adobewalls
03-05-07, 21:22
Just finished An Experiment in Survival. Just started, The 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene

JoshNC
03-05-07, 22:40
Michael B Oren's Power, Faith and Fantasy - American Involvement in the Middle East from 1776 to the Present. This is a great chronicle of our involvement in the Middle East; a must read.

I just finished Brigitte Gabriel's Because They Hate. Not all that well written, but not badly written either and is a major wakeup call to Americans that militant Islam is here in the US trying to subvert our culture.

I also just finished David McCullough's Mornings on Horseback, an excellent biography of Teddy Roosevelt.

Next up:
Michael B Oren's Six Days of War
Robert Satloff's Among the Righteous - Lost Stories From the Holocaust's Long Reach Into Arab Lands.
David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas - the Creation of the Panama Canal 1870-1914.
Arthur Herman's To Rule the Waves - How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World.
Robert Hagstrom's The Warren Buffet Way.

adobewalls
03-06-07, 22:16
JoshNC,

I really enjoyed "The Path Between the Seas" and recommend that everyone reads that. It stands as one of this Country's crowning achievements (too bad we gave it back); and David McCollough does a good job telling its story.

JoshNC
03-07-07, 00:29
adobewalls, good to hear. Thanks for the input, I look forward to reading it.

Gun-nut
03-10-07, 22:47
Just picked up "Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch.
Will start reading it tomorrow.

waterdog
03-12-07, 06:44
Just picked up "Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch.
Will start reading it tomorrow.

Hey Gun,
Let us know how that one reads. Mr. Couch is one of my favorites.
"The Elite Warrior" is another good one by him.

Greenbean
03-12-07, 06:55
I started The Oath by Frank Peretti last night and could not put down until I finshed seven chapters, from 9pm to almost 12:15, then I had to get some rest.

This is after I read This Present Darkness also by Peretti, Its very intriguing to say the least. Its Christian fiction I think.

I bought 6-Minutes to Freedom for a friend and he hasn't finished it yet. I may need to get another copy for myself.

C2Q
03-13-07, 07:52
This is after I read This Present Darkness also by Peretti, Its very intriguing to say the least. Its Christian fiction I think.

Interesting, I'll have to check it out.

For all you married Christian men out there with Christian wives, pick up a copy of Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers for your wife. I believe you'll both be glad you did! ;)

Linea_de_Fuego
03-19-07, 00:30
I am about half way finished with Brigitte Gabriel's Because They Hate. It does not contain anything new for those who are informed about Islam except for her personal story. It is a good review about how Islamic terrorism history and tactics have spread through the world.

I read a signature line from someone that pretty well sums it up.
"I learned everything that I needed to know about Islam on 9/11."
Still many in this country (read politicians) don't seem to have a clue about Islams objectives toward the west. American media is intimidated to tell the truth to keep our resolve strong. There is no option in this war against militant Islam, but the dumbing down of America by the press and the politicians is practically subversive.

America needs a refresher course on the Constitution and a comparison to the Koran.

I truly believe this is a spiritual battle. Here is another quote that relates.

1 Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
3 "Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us."

4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
The Lord shall hold them in derision.
5 Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6 "Yet I have set My King
On My holy hill of Zion."

Wayne Dobbs
03-19-07, 11:30
I'm currently working on three:

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why by Laurence Gonzales

The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion by Robert Spencer

Churchill: A Biography by Roy Jenkins

Gun-nut
07-01-07, 12:45
Hey Gun,
Let us know how that one reads. Mr. Couch is one of my favorites.
"The Elite Warrior" is another good one by him.

I finally finished "Chosen Soldier".
Work got in the way for a little while and I didn't have any time for reading.

I thought the book was very informative. If you have questions on the training of a Army Special Forces soldier or if you no little about them and are interested, I would highly recommend this book.
It's not going to tell you anything classified or that you probably couldn't find through other sources, but it appears to be one of the most well put together accounts of the required training.

After reading this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5826
I decided to pick up "The Lone Survivor", for my next read.

I also picked up another book called "Killer Elite" by Michael Smith. I don't know anything about it, but it sounded decent.

RogerinTPA
07-01-07, 13:00
Currently Reading:

On Combat: LTC Dave Grossman (Psychology of mentally enduring combat (dealing with fear/stress/training) Excellent read so far. ;)

Army Chief
07-01-07, 13:04
Currently reading Combat Schießen: Technik und Taktik für den Ernstfall by Frank B. Metzner and Joachim Friedrich. Obviously a German-language text, but a very well-illustrated one that isn't too difficult to sift through.

Chief

Neville
07-01-07, 21:08
Hampton Sides, Ghost Soldiers.
Awesome, gripping and sad WWII story.

dialM4murder
07-01-07, 21:26
The BIBLE and the QURAN.

R1pper
07-02-07, 07:45
I am currently reading No True Glory and I am about 1/4 of the way through One Bullet Away for the 2nd time and Half Way through Generation Kill for the 3rd time. All three are amazing. One bullet away and Generation Kill are connected. One is a journalists P.O.V the other is of a Junior LT.

Another Good Read is Dear Mom A snipers Veitnam, I have probably read that book about 9 times. That book is what turned me on to the marine corps

dialM4murder
07-02-07, 09:53
Edited by Va_Dinger.

Please do not attack other members.

We try to courteous & polite to each other on M4C.

R1pper
07-02-07, 10:22
What is out there for reads on Islamic extremism. Id like to read into this and find out what make think and act like they do. I would also like it to be not tottally biased one either, I dont need a bunch of misinformation clouding my brain

chapperjoe
07-02-07, 10:22
http://www.judaicawebstore.com/products/05/big/1-56871-145-x_big.jpg
Mindboggling book - tenth or eleventh time I'm going through it.

Very kaballah shy (e.g. standard sources only - torah, talmud, commentaries, etc) book filled with innovations and novella on the creation of the world.

Not a repudiation of scientfic theory per say as much as.... just the Jewish version of what happened.

dialM4murder
07-02-07, 10:38
. I would also like it to be not tottally biased one either, I dont need a bunch of misinformation clouding my brain

Ill save you some money and time. True islam doesn't preach terrorism or intolerance. The religious leaders with their own opions and motives do however. These people are following clerics and religious leaders(so called) instead of actually following the quran. Essentially the religion has been hijacked if you will. Many of these people can't even read the quran. Making it even easier for these deviant leaders to mislead them. As a muslim I'm all for the extermination of these terrorists. However don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There are still many(rad the majority) muslims who desire only to practise the religion in peace. Fortunately the ones burning US flags makes for better stories on CNN, and lead to stereotyping of all Muslims.

Islam is one of the fastes growing religions in the US, particularly among women. It would be wise for people to gain a better understanding of the religion as not to cause conflict and strife. Like it or not, as Americans the presence of Islam in this country will only continue to grow. Let's all just get along.

Peace

Barry in IN
07-02-07, 13:36
Hampton Sides, Ghost Soldiers.
Awesome, gripping and sad WWII story.

I read that a couple of years ago. Pretty good book.
I was about finished when I heard they were making a movie based on the book, and thought that was great news. I was pretty disappointed when "The Great Raid" came out, though. But I must be in the minority, since most seemed to really like it.

I had just read his previous TR book "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" about TR's life from birth to the presidency. I have read that he wrote, or is writing, another book about his life after the presidency.

Fascinating man, that Thodore Roosevelt. I thought I already knew that, but what I knew didn't scratch the surface.

At one point in the first book, I stopped and realized that he had:

-Been very sick as a child, with asthma and other ailments that kept him bedridden for days or even weeks.
-As a kid, was fascinated with natural history and animals, and kept detailed journals of findings which rivaled those of professionals. Published some books on the subjects.
-Graduated Harvard high in his class and was a member or officer in "all the best clubs and associations".
-Served three or four terms as a NY state Assemblymen, drafting and passing numerous reform laws that helped fight corruption at levels from garbage men to the Governor.
-Was a NY state delegate to the Republican National Convention.
-Knew everyone from Henry Adams to Henry Cabot Lodge.
-Wrote several books, including "Naval History of the War of 1812" which became the standard reference on the subject. A US Naval regulation required at least one copy be placed on board every US Navy vessel.
-Traveled the to Europe and Asia a few times, with these trips lasting over a year. While there, he climbed any mountain in sight including the Matterhorn where he left his worn-out guide behind about halfway down the mountainside (remember, he was still very ill at this time).
-Traveled "out west" a few times, starting two cattle ranches in the Dakotas while there.
-Went on a daring chase after Dakota cattle rustlers, which took him and two others up a semi-frozen river on a raft. They caught the rustlers alive, and TR marched them across the frozen prairie to deliver them to the nearest Sheriff.
-Ran for Mayor of NYC, and made a very strong run although he entered the race just a few weeks before the election.
-Married.
-Had a daughter.
-Lost his mother and wife on the same day- one or two days after the daughter was born.

And at this point... he was only 25 years old.

Dom
07-02-07, 14:30
Unintended Consequences - John Ross
Pro second ammendment novel. Eye opening, but a little out there.

First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan- Gary C. Schroen

VA_Dinger
10-15-07, 13:23
"The Looming Tower - Al-Qaeda And The Road To 9/11" by Lawrence Wright.

I'm only about 1/2 way through it but so far it is the finest book I've seen so far on the subject of Islamic extremism, Al-Qaeda, and the major players who have shaped the movement from the late 1940’s to today. I think every American should read it.

It sets the record straight on many issues.

FlyAndFight
10-15-07, 15:18

Rule303
10-15-07, 17:13
I finished reading Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws (http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-Chaos-Happens-Government-Breaks/dp/1595550402/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/002-6939745-5734422) a few days ago. Good book.

Just started reading A Nation of Sheep (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595550976/ref=pd_cp_b_2/002-6939745-5734422?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0DWABCTK8CBQGTZH356A&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=317711001&pf_rd_i=1595550402), by the same author. It looks pretty good, too.

9x19
10-15-07, 18:44
I finished a book titled Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ, by Brother Andrew and Al Janssen. It certainly makes one reflect on how so many Americans take freedom of religion for granted.

Striker5
10-16-07, 07:13
I'm currently reading the Koran, "The World's Most Dangerous Places" by "Liscensed to Kill" author Robert Young Pelton and "A Bright Shining Lie" about LtCol turned warlord John Paul Vann in Vietnam.

smithjd
10-16-07, 09:25
A while ago I read GENERATION KILL, author was a Rolling Stone reporter embedded with a Marine Recon unit during the 2nd Gulf War. It was just OK, the author had a definite slant.

Then I read ONE BULLET AWAY, the autobiography by the LT of that very same unit (sorry, can't remember his name right now). Excellent book. Highly recommended.

It was very interesting to read about the same incidents from such different viewpoints.

DocMinster
10-16-07, 15:01
PATRIOTS
Surviving the
Comming Collapse

by James Wesley Rawles

Ofc.JL
10-24-07, 11:48
Currently: Flags of Our Fathers-James Bradley
Before that: Inside Delta Force-Eric Haney
Twenty Five Yards of War-Ronald Drez
The Eve of Destruction-Howard Blum
Because They Hate-Brigitte Gabriel
:)

Saginaw79
10-24-07, 12:55
Masters of Chaos

ddemis
10-24-07, 13:12
I recently read Steal my soldiers hearts by Col. David Hackwith great book, check it out. I also read Geronimo by S.M. Barrett good info on a american legend, taught us a few tricks we forgot about going in to Vietnam.

9x19
10-24-07, 18:43
I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. Members here have great suggestions. I read on various topics, mostly non-fiction.

babaracus
10-24-07, 19:27
I read No True Glory earlier this summer. I haven't read back through the previous posts yet, but I'd love to get some opinions/feedback on No True Glory.

I stalled out on Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire (http://www.amazon.com/Downfall-End-Imperial-Japanese-Empire/dp/0141001461/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5793200-7598038?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193271023&sr=1-1) a month ago with a hectic schedule but I've picked it back up.

MTR7
10-24-07, 20:16
Just finished:
" The Great Betrayal" By Ian Smith. Who was the Prime Minister Of Rhodesia. Great read, has we can learn much from Mr. Smith. A bit hard to find but well worth it.

I am now working on:
"Marine Rifleman" By Col. Wes Fox. The Col. is a local NOVA man (raised in Herndon) Who was awarded the Medal of Honor during the Viet Nam war. I had the pleasure of meeting him. So far a great read.

" Wars of Blood and Faith" By Ralph Peters. This is a great book dealing with our Islamic problem, and the realities of war. He should be our Sec. Of Defense. This book was sugested by a close buddy who had been in the employ of Uncle Sam. He spent about ten years of his time working on the Islamic problem.

Matthew Renz

Bat Guano
10-24-07, 22:03
Just finished "House to House" by David Bellavia. Very intense. Make that very, very intense.

Recently plowed through FM 3-25, Petraeus' "Counterinsurgency Field Manual".
The man knows what he is about.

Read Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here" a long time ago. Obviously dated as it is set in the mid-1930s--but he has a real feel for how it *could* happen here.

The stack doesn't get smaller as I keep clicking on Amazon.

Dozer
10-24-07, 22:40
Just finishing "On Killing" and just received "On Combat" in the mail. Great books, I recommend them to all.

S/F
Libardo

NightFighter
10-25-07, 06:05
I am currently listening to Last Man Standing by David Baldacci. I listen to the book on my Palm as I drive to work. Wish I had time to sit down and read a good book. :mad:

IROCZ
10-25-07, 12:02
Re-reading "Wild at heart" by John Eldredge, Not a military book but a great read for the warrior caste. On Killing/Grossman over and over, on and off, helps me sleep. And of course the Bible not nearly enough. Glad I found this thread been writing down the next books i will seek out! Thanks.

Paulinski
10-25-07, 12:19
Just started - We Were One - by Patrick K. O'Donnel

A riveting first-hand account of the fierce battle for Fallujah and the Marines who fought there — a story of brotherhood and sacrifice in a platoon of heroes

Pinnacle
11-10-07, 09:50
Just finished "The Road" by Pulitzer Prize winner Cormac McCarthy. I wasn't too impressed with some of the dialogue the man has with his son but it was overall a great read. Posed a lot of questions to me about how I might survive with my loved ones in that type of situation.

http://www.randomhouse.com/kvpa/cormacmccarthy/

Edit to add: I know it is an Oprah book club book, trust me it doesn't suck!!

Barry in IN
11-10-07, 10:16
Update:
Currently reading "First Man" by Jame R. Hansen (biography of Neal Armstrong).

ygbsm
11-10-07, 22:32
I'm currently working on Brian Enos' book, as well as rereading Leadership and Training for the fight Also, I had the opportunity to meet John Weisman a few weeks back at a shooting event. He is a nice, down-to-earth kinda guy.

40-45
11-12-07, 00:12
The Longest Winter

Alex Kershaw

MAP
11-12-07, 06:36
I just finished "Lone Survivor" The evewitness account of operation Redwing and the lost Heros of SEAL Team 10. By Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson.

Excellent book.

Joseywales
11-12-07, 21:34
A book on cryptography mathematics.

A book on multi-variate analysis

A book on employee supervision and leadership

C2Q
11-15-07, 21:23
Re-reading "Wild at heart" by John Eldredge, Not a military book but a great read for the warrior caste. On Killing/Grossman over and over, on and off, helps me sleep. And of course the Bible not nearly enough. Glad I found this thread been writing down the next books i will seek out! Thanks.

Wild at Heart is a great book. I read it to better understand my husband and 2 boys It's probably about time to re-read it, as it has been a few years.

Lumpy196
12-05-07, 04:30
Endgame, 1945 by David Stafford.

Its an interesting read so far.

Paulinski
12-05-07, 07:52
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer - Personal about climbing Mount Everest and 1996 disaster where 8 people lost their lives during one night.

Barry in IN
12-05-07, 11:37
Update: Reading "Korea- The First War We Lost" by Bevin Alexander.
I disagree with the title, but it is a pretty decent book nonetheless.

Voodoochild
12-28-07, 20:07
HOGs in the SHADOWS Combat stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq. Awesome book and I recommend it to everyone.

BigTinVA
12-28-07, 21:33
I don't read a lot of books, but I just finished reading Under and Alone by William Queen. It is a true story of an undercover ATF Special Agent who infiltrated the Mongols, one of America's most violent motorcycle gangs. I thought it was a pretty good read.

Gun-nut
12-30-07, 16:12
HOGs in the SHADOWS Combat stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq. Awesome book and I recommend it to everyone.

Is this comparable to The Lone Survivor?

I'm looking for a new book, and this may fill the bill.

TheWarHound
12-30-07, 21:30
Finished On Killing last week, on Christmas break (chemistry teacher) and rereading the sci-fi Sten series by Cole & Bunch. Lots of violence, laughs, and fun.

Steve

Voodoochild
12-31-07, 11:28
Is this comparable to The Lone Survivor?

I'm looking for a new book, and this may fill the bill.

I haven't read Lone Survivor yet so cant really say. HOG's is a bunch of stories from different snipers in Iraq. All at different times and different places I like it that way. It gives you a good aspect of how they operate and what it is like over there.

the1911fan
12-31-07, 14:07
Since you asked...

Reading a book written by a friend from my neighborhood

"The secret mitzvah of Lucio Burke" By Steven Hayward

Hersh
12-31-07, 17:41
Based on some posts in this thread, I picked up a copy of Six Minutes to Freedom and I'm really enjoying it.

gyp_c2
12-31-07, 18:04
...Brownells # 60...
Also re-reading , Death In The Long Grass ... Peter Hathaway Capstick...
A couple Hillerman paperbacks...

Gun-nut
01-01-08, 11:07
I haven't read Lone Survivor yet so cant really say. HOG's is a bunch of stories from different snipers in Iraq. All at different times and different places I like it that way. It gives you a good aspect of how they operate and what it is like over there.
Thanks, I'll probably pick this one up.

9x19
01-01-08, 11:24
Based on some posts in this thread, I picked up a copy of Six Minutes to Freedom and I'm really enjoying it.

Great! I'm glad to hear it.

sff70
01-01-08, 13:25
The Looming Tower: Al Queda and the Road to 9-11 (correct title?)
Born Fighting
Motor Learning and Performance
Sharpening the Warrior's Edge
Ken Good's book on Strategies for Low Light Engagements
No True Glory

Next:

Rereads: On Combat, Fields of Fire, Dispatches

New: The Odyssey, Blink, Gates of Fire, The Book of 5 Rings

C2Q
05-30-08, 10:27
I am currently reading "In the Defense of Isreal" by John Hagee.

Can't put it down...it has so much info in it that I have never heard before.

tiger seven
05-30-08, 10:46
I've been reading a lot of Philip K. Dick lately. I've also been re-reading a lot of his stuff that I first read as a teenager, and discovering so many incredible things that my innocent, youthful mind just couldn't appreciate way back then.

Right now I'm about halfway through Ubik and it's pretty amazing.

Derek

Saginaw79
05-30-08, 11:27
Im about to get EFAD Reqonquista, or Green Eyes Black Rifle

telecustom
05-30-08, 11:49
I'm reading 'The Bear and the Dragon" by Tom Clancy

Striker5
05-30-08, 12:02
I just finished "Public Enemies" about the Dillinger era dustup between the feds and "motorized bandits" It's a great and very informative read.

I am in varying stages of:

"Bloodsport" about the Clintons - surprisingly boring.
"That Devil Forrest" bio of the controversial NB Forrest
"They Dare to Speak Out" about Israel's American lobby
got my subscription to SWAT magazine - good stuff.

cobra90gt
05-30-08, 12:39
Just started:

GREEN EYES AND BLACK RIFLES Warriors Guide to the Combat Carbine

by Kyle E. Lamb

Lumpy196
05-30-08, 12:55
Rereading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

JediMindTricks
05-30-08, 14:10
"Man's Eternal Quest" -Paramahansa Yogananda

crob1
05-30-08, 20:39
Recently I read "Lights Out" by Half Fast, "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles and I'm about to finish "Molon Labe" by Boston T. Party. I finally read the entire Bible, by God, last year!

ErnieB
05-31-08, 13:49
Just broke out my old copy of J. Michael Plaxco's "Shooting from Within."

Cheesy title but filled with great info. No tactics, just technique. A copy should be in every shooters library. Not sure if it is still in print but there are copies floating around out there. Definitely worth a read.

th1npower
05-31-08, 14:09
Harriet Lane Handbook: A Manual for Pediatric House Officers
i have an exam on fri so i've been studying.

i can't recall the last time i read a book for pleasure. :(

HighSpeedDreams
05-31-08, 17:17
http://www.globepequot.com/docs/email/images/mumia_01a.gif

Tallteeth
06-02-08, 19:26
Just started on "Good to Go" by Harry Constance.

RogerinTPA
06-02-08, 19:44
Reading "Blackwater" and "Making a Killing". Both about hired guns/contractors. Interesting reads.

adh
06-02-08, 20:09
Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" - a postapocalyptic novel about a father and son trying to survive in a world where the only eats are canned and other people.

An excellent book......

adh
06-02-08, 20:58
PATRIOTS
Surviving the
Comming Collapse

by James Wesley Rawles

awesome book!!!!

adh
06-02-08, 21:20
I've enjoyed the Saxon Stories and the grail quest series by Bernard Cornwell....historically based fiction

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

Saginaw79
06-02-08, 21:27
The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

ToddG
06-02-08, 21:33
Wrath of a Mad God by Raymond E. Feist

platform389
06-02-08, 21:51
Just finished DEAD HEAT by Joel Rosenburg. Very sobering indeed. Did COPPER SCROLL by him before that.

Both books were excellent and recommended.

scapegoat762
06-03-08, 05:26
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/tigermartdog/onkilling.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/tigermartdog/OnCombat2.jpg

Saginaw79
06-03-08, 08:40
Just started on "Good to Go" by Harry Constance.

Thats a good book! :D

Gutshot John
06-03-08, 11:03
Not a damn thing...I'm not picking up another book for at least a month...or I have to. I almost never get to read for pure pleasure anymore. Fortunately my fav subject is my area of study, military history.

The last good books I read however were:

"The Sling and the Stone" Col. Hammes

"Army and Empire" Michael McConnell

"Conquering the American Wilderness" Guy Chet

"Green Eyes Black Rifles" - Kyle Lamb

Tallteeth
06-04-08, 06:24
I also just finished "Licensed to Kill" byRobert Young Pelton, which was pretty interesting.

thetallengineer
06-05-08, 19:02
I recently finished the Blackhawk Down book by Mark Bowden. It was much more detailed than the movie although my brother indicates he mixes up some of the timelines in the book. Overall it was a good read and makes me want to take a training class with Paul Howe.

I'm currently reading Mexifornia by Victor David Hanson. I am only about 1/3 of the way into it and he raises some good points. It is taking me longer to read than expected because when he discusses a view point or idea I haven't considered, I spend 15 minutes going over the ideas in my head and stop reading. It is definitely suggested for those living in states that border Mexico.

karmapolice
06-05-08, 19:16
Currently Reading " The Lone Survior", and will be starting "Hogs in The Shadows" after I finish the first one mentioned.

kjo
06-06-08, 09:26
Currently reading " Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot" by Jim Stockdale.

Leading to more reading on Epictetus, the stoic Greek philoshopher.

KJO

mattjmcd
06-06-08, 11:00
I try to re-read D-Day (Ambrose) about this time every year. I just think it's important.

Right before that I polished off Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.

Gutshot John
06-06-08, 11:04
I try to re-read D-Day (Ambrose) about this time every year. I just think it's important.

Right before that I polished off Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.

Have you read Cornelius Ryan "The Longest Day"? Far better D-Day book in my opinion based exclusively on first-hand accounts. Oh and he was actually there...Juno Beach.

Perryguy
06-06-08, 12:11
"Asymmetric Warfare" by Rod Thornton, excellent review and very timely.
I re-read "On Combat" every six months or so (just got the new edition).

Spade
06-06-08, 12:28
Marine Sniper, about Carlos Hathcock

Yojimbo
06-06-08, 12:33
The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter.

It's not your average Bob Lee Swagger novel but I really like it so far.

WallaS
06-08-08, 10:25
Leadbelly by John Silvester and Andrew Rule
About the semi-organized crime war in Melbourne Australia over the last 15+ years. Pretty ruthless. I guess they just made a mini-series about it that was banned in the state it all took place (even though you can see all episodes on the online!).

WallaS

Tipy
06-12-08, 11:04
Cpt. Self was the commander of the Ranger reaction force on the ground at the battle of Rogers Ridge.
He is a Christian warrior. Very good book. Would be interesting to see what others in the battle would write.
Had a hard time finding it. Looking for it in the Military history section and finally found it in the Christian Inspiration section of Barnes and Noble.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

themadhatter
06-15-08, 11:37
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/themadhatter-1/WHERETHEWILDTHINGSARE.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/themadhatter-1/f3608-1.gif

KintlaLake
06-28-08, 08:15
This morning I revisited On Bullshit, the 2005 essay by Harry G. Frankfurt, Professor of Philosophy Emeritus at Princeton University.

For thoughtful, self-aware people in the Internet Age, this should be required reading. I offer here the essay's last three paragraphs.

"Bullshit is unavoidable whenever circumstances require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about. Thus the production of bullshit is stimulated whenever a person's obligations or opportunities to speak about some topic exceed his knowledge of the facts that are relevant to that topic. This discrepancy is common in public life, where people are frequently impelled -- whether by their own propensities or by the demands of others -- to speak extensively about matters of which they are to some degree ignorant. Closely related instances arise from the widespread conviction that it is the responsibility of a citizen in a democracy to have opinions about everything, or at least everything that pertains to the conduct of his country's affairs. The lack of any significant connection between a person's opinions and his apprehension of reality will be even more severe, needless to say, for someone who believes it his responsibility, as a conscientious moral agent, to evaluate events and conditions in all parts of the world.

"The contemporary proliferation of bullshit also has deeper sources, in various forms of skepticism which deny that we can have any reliable access to an objective reality, and which therefore reject the possibility of knowing how things truly are. These 'antirealist' doctrines undermine confidence in the value of disinterested efforts to determine what is true and what is false, and even in the intelligibility of the notion of objective inquiry. One response to this loss of confidence has been a retreat from the discipline required by dedication to the ideal of correctness to a quite different sort of discipline, which is imposed by pursuit of an alternative ideal of sincerity. Rather than seeking primarily to arrive at accurate representations of a common world, the individual turns toward trying to provide honest representations of himself. Convinced that reality has no inherent nature, which he might hope to identify as the truth about things, he devotes himself to being true to his own nature. It is as though he decides that since it makes no sense to try to be true to the facts, he must therefore try instead to be true to himself.

"But it is preposterous to imagine that we ourselves are determinate, and hence susceptible both to correct and to incorrect descriptions, while supposing that the ascription of determinacy to anything else has been exposed as a mistake. As conscious beings, we exist only in response to other things,and we cannot know ourselves at all without knowing them. Moreover, there is nothing in theory, and certainly nothing in experience, to support the extraordinary judgment that it is the truth about himself that is the easiest for a person to know. Facts about ourselves are not peculiarly solid and resistant to skeptical dissolution. Our natures are, indeed, elusively insubstantial -- notoriously less stable and less inherent than the natures of other things. And insofar as this is the case, sincerity itself is bullshit."

Hardcover available here (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html). Might just be the best ten bucks I've ever spent. :cool:

Leonidas
07-09-08, 23:41
Who Killed the Constitution? The Fate of American Liberty From World War I to George W. Bush.
By Thomas E. Woods Jr. and Kevin R.C. Gutzman

Very good read so far, and places blame appropriately on conservatives and liberals.

Iraqgunz
07-10-08, 05:53
Unitended Consequences. Enough said!

HeadHunter
07-10-08, 07:06
Sharpening the Warriors Edge: The Psychology & Science of Training (http://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-Warriors-Edge-Psychology-Training/dp/0964920506)
Now back in print so I finally managed to get a copy.

KiraX105
07-10-08, 11:39
I recently read two books over a four day trip in Israel. Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill and Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. Now I'm refreshing with a more dry piece of work, The Sling Load Inspector Handbook by US Army Quatermaster School.:rolleyes:

tjcoker
07-10-08, 11:42
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/themadhatter-1/WHERETHEWILDTHINGSARE.jpg

I have been reading that to my kid too.

I really like No True Glory by Bing West as listed earlier in the thread.

Lumpy196
07-10-08, 11:44
Rereading "In the Hands of Providence: Joshua L. Chamberlain and the American Civil War" by Alice Rains Trulock.

Chamberlain is one of my favorite Americans.

Joe_Friday
07-10-08, 12:21
Just finished reading "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank for the third time. Great book published in 1959 about a man and his brothers family surviving after a nuclear attack. Before that I read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven.

heijutsu
07-10-08, 13:26
Generation Kill. I just finished Stephen Hunters' The 47th Samurai.

Iraqgunz
07-11-08, 04:24
That book by Jeremy Scahill is such crap it's unreal. It's more like a work of fiction.

I recently read two books over a four day trip in Israel. Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill and Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. Now I'm refreshing with a more dry piece of work, The Sling Load Inspector Handbook by US Army Quatermaster School.:rolleyes:

variablebinary
07-11-08, 05:38
The Beach, by Alex Garland

How to Talk to a Liberal If You Must, by Ann Coulter

macman37
07-11-08, 07:15
I just finished up Paul Howe's "Leadership and training for the fight" - Great book.

Right now it's "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg and I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. I've told people it's the best book I've ever hated reading. The parallels between old school fascistic movements and, say, the modern Democratic platforms are STUNNING and honestly, very frightening...

KiraX105
07-11-08, 11:52
That book by Jeremy Scahill is such crap it's unreal. It's more like a work of fiction.

I totally agree with that statement. I knew nothing about the book prior to purchasing it, thinking it would at the very least be objective. Instead it read more like a liberal sensationalist tabloid. After I was finished with it, I gave it to my XO and said "Here's what the others think about us". He also agreed it was crap after a few days reading. Lot's of editorial errors like misnaming common weapons and making up weapons names, to over exaggerating events(chapter where Scahill claims BW was in command of us military)

I should stick to reading reprints of Calvin and Hobbbes, at least I won't be dissapointed:)

VA_Dinger
07-26-08, 17:32
Just finished "Imperial Hubris" by Anonymous (Michael Scheuer).

Simply outstanding as is anything written by Scheuer.

Iraqgunz
07-26-08, 17:35
I have read this as well and thought it was a very good read.

Just finished "Imperial Hubris" by Anonymous (Michael Scheuer).

Simply outstanding as is anything written by Scheuer.

TurretGunner
07-26-08, 18:33
Mein Kampf

Bigun
07-26-08, 19:33
The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara, a great book if you like WW2 History and the last one before that was Unintended Consequences, by John Ross, a great book..

Spooky130
07-26-08, 23:20
"An Army At Dawn" - Rick Atkinson
"Under the Banner of Heaven" - John Krakauer
"Green Eyes, Black Rifles" - Kyle Lamb

Next:
"With the Old Breed" - EB Sledge

Spooky

AllAmerican
07-27-08, 07:56
I just bought One Bullet Away and Generation Kill mostly because I was in Force Recon. I just finished On Killing, In Search of the Warrior Spirit and Killer Elite I have also read a few books on the battle for Fallugia which titles escape me right now. there are some really good books out there right now. I usually go to a book store and get the titles, then order from Amozon.com.... fixed income you see.
But after reading these posts I have some new titles in mind!

Hootiewho
07-27-08, 08:40
I am reading the The Power of Body Language by Tonya Reiman. I just finished reading Crime Signals: How to Spot a Criminal Before You Become a Victim by David Givens.

The Power of Body Language seems to be a very good book so far, if you are interested in knowing what people are saying in their actions vs their words.

mattjmcd
07-27-08, 13:59
GEBR arrived from Amazon the other day. Good reading, to say the least.

D.O.B.A
07-27-08, 14:52
Last book I got to read was HOGS in the shadows a few months ago, Most of my books are still in boxes from moving in March (One week before my son was born:eek: ,so that has slowed the unpacking to a crawl.) My wife did just give me a copy of The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and it sounds like a few of you have read it and liked it so I'll dive into that.

Rayrevolver
07-27-08, 19:27
Shadow Warriors - Inside the Special Forces by Tom Clancy, Gen. Stiner, and Tony Koltz.

b_saan
07-27-08, 23:43
Currently: 1776 by David McCullough

Next up: The Sword of the Prophet by Serge Trifkovic

Tipy
07-28-08, 16:45
Just finished "Never Surrender" by LTG. (ret)William G. Boykin, US Army. Former commander of US Army Special Forces and founding member of Delta Force.
He commanded Delta Force and was the Gen. that the liberal press tried to burn several years ago for going to christian churchs in uniform and giving speeches about his faith in god.
During his selection for Delta, on his last hike, he did the 40 miles in eleven hours, twenty-seven minutes and came in first on that hike. Out of 118 guys who started selection, only twenty-five made it to the final long walk. Only 19 made it into Delta. His selection group was the first.
He commanded the Delta unit at Mogasihu, and was wounded by a fifty caliber while still on the assault helo going into Grenada. He was the C.O. of Delta after Pete Schoomaker got promoted out of Delta.
Very good book.
S/F
Tipy

Erick Gelhaus
07-28-08, 16:55
Just finished "Never Surrender" by LTG. (ret)William G. Boykin, US Army.

Did not know that he did a book. Another to add to the pick-up list.

Working on two right now - "Two Wars" by frmr CPT Nate Self and "Milestones" by Seyyid Qutb. The first book is pretty much a direct result of the second.

Oscar 319
07-28-08, 19:43
Mein Kampf

I have seen this book turn up at meth labs, in prison cells and with other 14/88, sieg heil white supremacist felon domestic terrorists. Not a big fan of Nazi propaganda. Not a fan of ADOLF HITLER.

This book is often found with "The Turner Diaries".

Garbage.

nstg8r
07-28-08, 20:43
this is the story by Marcus Luttrell about Seal Team 10's battle in Afghanistan.

Great book - started it and couldn't put it down. Stayed up way late in the morning to finish it.

Sad story - but a true example of a hero

macman37
07-28-08, 21:01
"The Neutronium Alchemist part 1: Consolidation" a truly sweeping EPIC sci-fi story. This is the 3rd book of 6 total. A coworker started me out on the books, he's on the 6th right now, and gives me non-spoiler updates regularly. "Where are you at in the story? OH MAN wait'll you see what happens next!"

I just finished "The Last Patriot" by Brad Thor, "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg, and "Leadership and Training for the Fight" by Paul Howe. All excellent books.

After I reel off this big epic series I'm going to read "A Rifleman Went To War"

TurretGunner
07-28-08, 21:19
I have seen this book turn up at meth labs, in prison cells and with other 14/88, sieg heil white supremacist felon domestic terrorists. Not a big fan of Nazi propaganda. Not a fan of ADOLF HITLER.

Garbage.

Oh no, not those dangerous felony inducing books. Better ban those too along with the AR's and .50 cal's .

Take your head out of the sand and stop being so judgemental.

RogerinTPA
07-29-08, 12:16

Garbage.

I agree with your statement, however, there's nothing wrong with learning about the positive and the negative at what makes people who they are, regardless if they are mad men or hero's. There is always something to learn. In some of the former units I was in, we were veracious readers on anything that would enhance our edge. As long as you don't support these types of fanaticism and become a McVeigh, there isn't anything wrong with it. The mindset of the likes Hitler, lon nol, racist, serial killers, edi amine, genghis kahn, gandi, martin luther king, sun szu, macarthar, ho chi mehn, patton, pablo escobar, ect...is what interest me. Learning from history is the only way not to repeat it. We need to be careful not to close our minds. Give Turretgunner a pass.

decodeddiesel
07-29-08, 12:33
"Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13" by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger

Palmguy
07-29-08, 12:46
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51de0isP05L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Excellent thus far...

Spade
07-29-08, 12:51

Garbage.

hmm. what if he was reading about Malcom X, or Che, or any other host of cultural leaders. Would you still have said something? You know I bet if you go into prison & talk to the black gang members most of them have a book on Martin Luther King or Farrakhan.

D.O.B.A
07-29-08, 17:25
I agree with your statement, however, there's nothing wrong with learning about the positive and the negative at what makes people who they are, regardless if they are mad men or hero's. There is always something to learn. In some of the former units I was in, we were veracious readers on anything that would enhance our edge. As long as you don't support these types of fanaticism and become a McVeigh, there isn't anything wrong with it. The mindset of the likes Hitler, lon nol, racist, serial killers, edi amine, genghis kahn, gandi, martin luther king, sun szu, macarthar, ho chi mehn, patton, pablo escobar, ect...is what interest me. Learning from history is the only way not to repeat it. We need to be careful not to close our minds. Give Turretgunner a pass.

I agree, everybody should learn as much about World History (the good and the bad) as they can, lest we repeat it. Regarding Hitler, one of the best books I've ever read was --The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich-- by William l. Shirer, the copy I have was published back in 1960 by Simon and Schuster. It is a very descriptive book detailing what happened throughout Europe during Hitlers attempt to "Rule the World"

Mjolnir
07-29-08, 18:06
The Grand Chessboard by Zbigniew Brzezinski for the fourth time.

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot for the fourth time

Sharpening the Warrior's Edge for the fifth time.

Just picked up Stalkers and Shooters - A History of Snipers by Kevin Dockery

mattjmcd
07-29-08, 18:25
Currently: 1776 by David McCullough

Next up: The Sword of the Prophet by Serge Trifkovic

Ah, I forgot that one (1776 that is)! I am listening to that on CD. Excellent and highly recommended.

TurretGunner
07-29-08, 21:34
I agree, everybody should learn as much about World History (the good and the bad) as they can, lest we repeat it. Regarding Hitler, one of the best books I've ever read was --The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich-- by William l. Shirer, the copy I have was published back in 1960 by Simon and Schuster. It is a very descriptive book detailing what happened throughout Europe during Hitlers attempt to "Rule the World"

I'l' have to check that out when i'm done with my classes this week. Is it still in print?

b_saan
07-29-08, 21:57
Ah, I forgot that one (1776 that is)! I am listening to that on CD. Excellent and highly recommended.

Yes it is very good, I'd recommend John Adams as well, though I think 1776 is the better of the 2.

Fringe
07-30-08, 10:18
I usually stay away from fiction, but I was compelled to read a couple book by Cormac McCarthy after viewing his masterpiece, "No Country For Old Man." I just finished, "The Road" and am now reading, "Blood Meridian." Two distinctly different books, but so far, equally good. I highly recommend if one enjoyed, "NCFOM."

On another note, a favorite of mine is Bill Bryson's, "A Short History on Nearly Everything."

Fringe
07-30-08, 10:22
And for all you War buffs, which I am sure are a plenty, check out, "With The Old Bread." One of the best from a guy who was there and writes as he saw it.

RallySoob
07-30-08, 10:34
Im reading about the crustaceous period.

It seems us Human Beings are the tail end of an evolutionary arms race. Before the crustaceous period everything was soft non-vertebrate animals that need no protection from each other. Enter the crustaceous period and the evolutionary pattern of destruction begins. Pinchers, stingers, huge teeth, and now nucleur missles.

I find this interesting because we are in the midst of a very technological and dangerous arms race and it seems that it holds more importance to us as human beings than any other aspect of our lives. On every scale in society I find this is true. We are doomed naturaly, isn't it neat? Killing and destroying is as natural as a bowel movement, so I guess we should embrace it

dojpros
07-30-08, 10:42
I know I am behind the curve-On Killing by Grossman.

D.O.B.A
07-30-08, 13:49
I'l' have to check that out when i'm done with my classes this week. Is it still in print?

I don't really Know? the copy I have is copyrighted 1959/1960 and was the eighth printing! Sounds to me like he was writing while it was happening!?

D.O.B.A
07-30-08, 13:53
I would like to retract my last post:D, I just looked it up on Barnes & Knobles website and they carry it

yrac
07-30-08, 20:13
Just finished:
U.S. Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution
Into the Kill Zone, David Klinger (Series of interviews of LEO's who have been involved in incidents requiring the use of deadly force. - Interesting read.)

Working on:
Sharpening the Warrior's Edge, Bruce K. Siddle

batgeek
07-30-08, 20:48
had to re-affirm my Objectivist roots. finished re-reading The Fountainhead, half way thru Altas Shrugged.

DarrinD
07-30-08, 22:04
For the third time, I'm re-reading "Battlecry of Freedom" the Pulitizer Prize winning one volume account of the Civil War by James McPherson.

Rule303
07-31-08, 17:08
The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html) and Damn! A Book of Calumny by H.L. Mencken (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18948/18948-h/18948-h.htm)

Copies of both can be read over the Internet.

jenec
08-02-08, 20:34
"The Ultimate Battle" a great book about the invasion of Okinawa.

Robb Jensen
08-02-08, 20:58

Just found this and couldn't agree more with your signature line...........

coble0369
08-06-08, 14:12
"The Last Mile" by Leroy Spikes

"Use It or Lose It" by Richie Lewallen

"He Said What!?" by Emily McDougall

"Not On My Watch" by Frank Dorfman

jaxman7
08-27-13, 23:05
Double tap

jaxman7
08-27-13, 23:06
The Enemies trilogy by Michael Bracken

I am 60% through the 3rd book as of now. Its basically a story of what could happen to the country through widespread illegal immigration, globalist loving government officials, gun confiscation, etc.

The first book-Enemies Foreign and Domestic- starts off with a sniper (that's a setup by the fed gov) that begins firing into a football stadium which leads to 1000s dying. This opens the floodgates to new draconian gun control laws.

Its quite a scary read in some ways but very well written. Its got it all. The Southwest is reclaimed by Mexico. A second Great Depression. The Northwest secedes from the Union, foreign troops are brought in to quell the resistance fighters in Tennessee & Kentucky. The Constitution is rendered null & a new one is written up. It'll get you a little anxious-well more anxious-about the future but it is quite a good series.

The first book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JF4L98?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

-Jax

SeriousStudent
08-27-13, 23:28
Finished "The Terrible Hours" by Peter Maas last night. It's the story of the sinking of the Squalus, and the rescue effort led by "Swede" Momsen.

Started "For Crew and Country" by John Wukovits tonight. It's the story of the USS Samuel B Roberts, a destroyer in the 1944 Battle of the Leyte Gulf.

Been reading about the Navy a lot lately, after brushing up on Civil War generals.

Miami_JBT
08-28-13, 08:02
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/HodderAndStoughton_HarryTurtledove_SettlingAccounts_TheGapple_2006_Cover.jpg

Moltke
08-28-13, 08:07
Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals
by Brian Enos

William B.
08-28-13, 08:56
The Enemies trilogy by Michael Bracken

I am 60% through the 3rd book as of now. Its basically a story of what could happen to the country through widespread illegal immigration, globalist loving government officials, gun confiscation, etc.

The first book-Enemies Foreign and Domestic- starts off with a sniper (that's a setup by the fed gov) that begins firing into a football stadium which leads to 1000s dying. This opens the floodgates to new draconian gun control laws.

Its quite a scary read in some ways but very well written. Its got it all. The Southwest is reclaimed by Mexico. A second Great Depression. The Northwest secedes from the Union, foreign troops are brought in to quell the resistance fighters in Tennessee & Kentucky. The Constitution is rendered null & a new one is written up. It'll get you a little anxious-well more anxious-about the future but it is quite a good series.

The first book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JF4L98?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

-Jax

I really need to pick these up. I can't seem to peel myself away from Vietnam-era SF books right now, though. Right now I'm reading Tiger Force. Very tragic story so far :(

I heard that Robert K. Brown (Soldier of Fortune) came out with an autobiography recently. Anybody got any scoop on that book?

montanadave
08-28-13, 09:29
Re-reading Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and just started The Son by Philipp Meyer.

gunrunner505
08-28-13, 10:02
Been on a Lee Child Jack Reacher kick lately. Just finished my 3rd in a row. Wrapping up Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reiley then I'm on to American Gun by Chris Kyle. May he rest in peace.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Split66
08-28-13, 10:44
Just re reading the Last Stand of Fox company.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PCzky1waL.jpg

sandman99and9
08-28-13, 19:54
I just read this one again and it is outstanding !!

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/sandman99and9/Shooter.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/sandman99and9/media/Shooter.jpg.html)

Some of our members may have served with the authors in 3/4 "The Bull" During the 2nd gulf war.

I have seen History/Military channel shows with Lt Col McCoy featured in it. It was this unit that took down that statue of Saddam that was on every T.V. set at the time.

An excellent book about modern snipers and how they worked in Iraq.

S.M.

William B.
09-10-13, 19:19
I just finished Above and Beyond by Jim Morris. If you have any interest in Vietnam-era Army SF, LRRP, or SOG you should check this out. It is fiction that was written by a SOG veteran and has a ton of action and plenty of hate for the spit-shined, dog-and-pony side of the military.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx82/Colt_LE6920/aampb_zps9cb7c63e.png

SeriousStudent
09-10-13, 19:41
Started to re-read Mike Durant's book, "In the Company of Heroes".

jaxman7
09-10-13, 19:53
Started to re-read Mike Durant's book, "In the Company of Heroes".

Just finished Micahel Bracken's excellent Domestic Enemies trilogy and started his more recent Castigo Cay book. After I have finished with that book Durant's story is at the top of my list. I keep putting this one off!

-Jax

SeriousStudent
09-10-13, 21:31
It's a good book. I have a half dozen or so books that I like to re-read periodically, to refresh the lessons in my mind. That's one of them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-10-13, 21:38
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Omnibus

thopkins22
09-10-13, 21:55
Re-reading Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut...

Gross dude. You just gave me an unwelcome flashback to boarding school.

I read engineering journals, the occasional historical piece, and a whole lot of brain candy.

In terms of brain candy, I just finished up LittleLebowski's friend's third book, "Shattered Hourglass." Now I'm on to "The Hit" by David Baldacci. Is Baldacci brain candy? Yes. Enjoyable and hard to put down? Absolutely.

CGSteve
09-10-13, 21:57
For those of you that have read or are currently reading Lt. Col Grossman's books, I highly recommend that you attend his lectures if the opportunity presents itself. If you are LE, I suggest you request funds/time to attend his lecture as training. If not, I believe you can pay for it. It is worth every penny. I don't know if he offers different lectures, but I think the one I attended was more geared towards LEOs and was called The Bulletproof Mind.

Secondly, I recommend anyone who has read any of Cormac McCarthy's works (you guys mentioned The Road) to also check out Blood Meridian, The Border Trilogy, and No Country for Old Men as well. The man's works have won numerous literary awards and he is considered one of the greatest American authors of the 20th century by many sources.

I am currently reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and Antigone by Sophocles.

TacMedic556
09-10-13, 22:08
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EMDSBEZXL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg1453 Robert Crowley book about the history surrounding the fall of Constantinople, the clash of Islam and the West. Awesome book. Highly recommend it. Action from cover to cover, citations, references, historically accurate.

SeriousStudent
09-10-13, 22:36
1453 Robert Crowley book about the history surrounding the fall of Constantinople, the clash of Islam and the West. Awesome book. Highly recommend it. Action from cover to cover, citations, references, historically accurate.

Thanks for the tip, just snagged it off Amazon.

William B.
09-11-13, 07:24
I am currently reading Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and Antigone by Sophocles.

Lone Survivor is on my "to read" list. I feel bad for not having read it already by now and want to get it read before the movie comes out.

yellowfin
09-11-13, 09:30
Just started reading a biography on Jacques Cousteau. Quite a deep subject, I must say.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-11-13, 10:10
I just ordered Robert Young Pelton's "The worlds most dangerous places". Looks like it will be a good read.

ra2bach
09-11-13, 14:37
just finished, "The Ghosts of Cannae - Hannibal and The Darkest Hour of The Roman Republic"...

SeriousStudent
10-24-13, 16:18
Finished "American Commando", the story of Evans Carlson and the Marine Raiders in WWII. Interesting and honest.

Now moving to the Atlantic, and reading "Dog Company: the Boys of Pointe du Huc" about the Rangers who scaled the cliffs during the Normandy invasion.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Company-Hoc---Accomplished-Toughest/dp/0306820293/ref=la_B001HD3XV2_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382649454&sr=1-1

I'd read his book about Fallujah "We Were One" and found it very good, so I decided to buy this one as well.

JohnnyC
10-24-13, 16:32
Just finished Roberts Ridge and Lions of Kandahar this past week. Both good.

Roberts Ridge was frustrating to read. The way it's presented you know everything that's going on in real time, so you see where mistakes are being made while they're happening. It's very frustrating, not from a difficulty standpoint, but because you can see all the cards, when you see things happening due to politics or communication break downs, it frustrates you because guys died because of such simple mistakes.

Lions of Kandahar was just a good kick ass shoot the bad guys in the face kind of explanation. I didn't feel as connected as I did while reading Roberts Ridge, but that shouldn't diminish the book in any way.

ForTehNguyen
10-24-13, 16:37
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/97/81/25/00/04/9781250004475_500X500.jpg