PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 as a training rifle?

SoDak
03-17-09, 22:45
I suck with irons on my AR rifles and I really want to get better. Since the problem seems to lie in my basic marksmanship skills, I figured it might be worthwhile to make a ruger 10/22 into an ARish training rifle. I was looking at getting a ruger 10/22 and sticking tech sights on and maybe a tapco t6 stock. Mostly I'm concerned with just getting used to using irons effectively and I was curious if this would be a good way to go. I figure that if I can get down using irons effectively with this gun, I won't have to expend as much 5.56 in my ARs. Does that stand to reason? I'm not really into conversions or uppers since it seems like they either cost a lot or have troubles working. Plus I wouldn't mind a training rifle that could do double duty as a truck gun that doesn't wreck my hearing when I shoot it(besides 5.56 is overkill for skunks and other varmits).

markm
03-17-09, 22:54
I agree that the 22 AR conversions are high maintenance nonsense. Getting the tech sights probably won't get you exactly the same practice as AR irons, but I'd vote for that over any of the conversions that are out there.

rob_s
03-18-09, 04:56
I don't think the current batch of .22 uppers (Tacsol and Spike's) have to be finicky at all. You may have to take a box of a few different types of ammo to the range the first time to find out which ammo the gun likes, but after that...

Marksmanship is marksmanship, but it sounds like you're going to wind up spending the same amount on the 10/22 and crapco junk for it that you'd spend on a .22 upper, and at least with the .22 upper you'll be working with the same trigger.

crossgun
03-18-09, 06:01
Having three complete .22 uppers I agree with Rob. If your goal is to improve your shooting of the AR platform specifically then go with a Spikes or Tactical Solution upper. I have both and prefer the TS. Mine get shot all winter for indoor training.

I would advise that you stay away from the conversions. I see a lot of guys having problems with them. As mentioned they can be a little tempremental to ammo. Use a copper jacketed bullet. Stay away from lead.

Same trigger, same sights, same controls. And just like the 5.56 you can be as creative as you wish with the options. This one is a Tactical Solutions 5" barrel with a YHM Can. Perfect compact truck gun and quiet.
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/copperfield8910/2009_0101Image0004.jpg

rob_s
03-18-09, 06:06
I have both and prefer the TS.

CG, mind expounding on that, or posting a link to somewhere else you may have discussed it?

John Hearne
03-18-09, 10:04
If you're doing pure marksmanship training, ala Appleseed, then a 10/22 with Tech Sights would be good enough. If you're going to be reloading, clearing malfunctions, shooting long strings of rounds, etc. then a .22 upper will have a lot more value.

austinN4
03-20-09, 05:32
I agree that the 22 AR conversions are high maintenance nonsense.
Yours, maybe, but not mine. My CMMG conversion kit with BDM mags has been 100% reliable with Federal #750 bulk pack with a round count of 2,300 so far.

I went with the conversion as opposed to an upper as I wanted to train with exactly the same gun.

CarlosDJackal
03-20-09, 10:12
Having three complete .22 uppers I agree with Rob. If your goal is to improve your shooting of the AR platform specifically then go with a Spikes or Tactical Solution upper. I have both and prefer the TS...[/IMG]

Any idea with the TS uppers work on full-auto? I went with the Ceiner kit because it had an option to allow for use on guns with sears. I already have almost 6k rounds of the particular .22LR ammo that the kit likes (federal 550-round maroon-colored bulk packs from Wally World).

austinN4
03-20-09, 12:37
I already have almost 6k rounds of the particular .22LR ammo that the kit likes (federal 550-round maroon-colored bulk packs from Wally World).
That would be the same Federal #750 my CMMG likes. I pay $13.47 per 550 at Walmart.

DialTone301
03-20-09, 13:06
My Spike's kit also likes the Federal bulk packs and has been very reliable.

Irish
03-20-09, 13:30
Having three complete .22 uppers I agree with Rob. If your goal is to improve your shooting of the AR platform specifically then go with a Spikes or Tactical Solution upper. I have both and prefer the TS. Mine get shot all winter for indoor training.

I would advise that you stay away from the conversions. I see a lot of guys having problems with them. As mentioned they can be a little tempremental to ammo. Use a copper jacketed bullet. Stay away from lead.

Same trigger, same sights, same controls. And just like the 5.56 you can be as creative as you wish with the options. This one is a Tactical Solutions 5" barrel with a YHM Can. Perfect compact truck gun and quiet.
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/copperfield8910/2009_0101Image0004.jpg

Please explain why you prefer the TS over Spikes as I'm interested in pursuing this but would like more information prior to purchasing. Thank you.

hatt
03-20-09, 15:28
Yours, maybe, but not mine. My CMMG conversion kit with BDM mags has been 100% reliable with Federal #750 bulk pack with a round count of 2,300 so far.

I went with the conversion as opposed to an upper as I wanted to train with exactly the same gun.

My Ciener runs just fine as well. I don't know what the deal is with the "you gotta have a dedicated upper" crowd. Dedicated uppers use the same conversion kits anyway. Saying one will be reliable and one not is nonsense. The kit probably gets a little dirtier a little faster but for the price of a dedicated upper and new optic I'll clean and lube that sucker every once in a while. I know for a fact mine will get through a bulk pack without any problem.

SoDak
03-21-09, 13:47
If you're doing pure marksmanship training, ala Appleseed, then a 10/22 with Tech Sights would be good enough. If you're going to be reloading, clearing malfunctions, shooting long strings of rounds, etc. then a .22 upper will have a lot more value.

That's kind of what I was thinking along the lines of. As for cost all I was going to do was get a 10/22 (about $220) and then sticking a tech sight on it($60). The tapco stock is a maybe thing at best. The end result would be about $300 which could fit into my budget easily enough.

sinister
03-21-09, 16:34
http://i39.tinypic.com/akygqf.jpg

Same sight picture as an AR because they ARE AR sights.

The fit is ergonomically correct because the grip, stock, and (LaRue) rail are for the AR.

The trigger is by Tony Kidd -- no need for a gorilla finger. Kidd barrel cut to 16 inches with an A1 flash suppressor and still overall shorter than a 16-inch M4gery.

The bolt was worked by Randy at CP Precision -- it feeds Remington and Federal.22 bulk pack (sold at Wal Mart, Bass Pro, Gander, Sportsman's, etc.).

Should be able to shoot the same drills as with an M4 once Tactical Innovations catches up on T125 orders.

Buckaroo
03-21-09, 21:45
Should be able to shoot the same drills as with an M4 once Tactical Innovations catches up on T125 orders.

Can I ask what you have into that nice stick?

Buckaroo

bkb0000
03-21-09, 22:08
my 10/22 is a complete piece of shit and i wouldnt do anything with it but beat shit over the head with it.. just taking up room in the safe while i decide which enemy to give it to. get a dedicated upper from one of the above manufacturers, mang.

hah... i hate ruger.

sinister
03-21-09, 22:30
"Can I ask what you have into that nice stick?"

More than makes sense. :)

Considering I won the rail, a lot of the parts are take-offs, and Iraq combat pay paid for it I don't feel so bad. The base gun was $150 in a gun shop in Newport News. I gave all the parts beside the receiver and bolt to the youngster working the counter.

It is wicked accurate, feeds well, and is ignorant fun to shoot. My 12-year-old went straight from a single shot pull-the-striker-on-the-bolt action to this and had a fantastic time. I think we shot a Remington bulk pack of .22s (550 shots) in a single afternoon. That would have been outrageous with 5.56 at market rate.

Mega
03-30-09, 15:42
Can I ask what you have into that nice stick?

Trust me. You don't build a Nordic if you're looking to go cheap. :cool:
If you want cheap, build a Tapco, Krinker, Evolution, or something sililar.

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinfarrell/.Pictures/Nordic%20mock-up/Nordic001.jpg

tpd223
04-01-09, 04:11
Didn't want to start a new thread.

I have a new 10-22 I traded for. Been awhile since I owned one.

Are any of the high cap 10-22 mags worth owning?

Mega
04-01-09, 11:28
Are any of the high cap 10-22 mags worth owning?

The only ones that I've found that are worth owning are the aluminum or polymer high-caps by Tactical Innovations.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ruger-1022-c-111.html?osCsid=194ae281a035c4d35ff8c54afb94ef39

They are well built, can be disassembled for cleaning, and are adjustable in case you have a need to tweek them.
Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.