PDA

View Full Version : Range report on new Spikes upper.

Alaskapopo
03-18-09, 03:08
I got a Spikes Tactical 22 upper in today. Nothing fancy just the M4 model. I have some Green Magpul hand guards on the way. It does not match at the moment.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/Justreddot.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/Magnifier.jpg

Mags
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Magazines/Mags-1.jpg

Function:

The upper did very well and I only had 2 misfires that fired with second hit from the hammer out of 120 rounds. No failures to feed or eject.

Accuracy.

This is where I am somewhat disappointed. I was averaging about 2 inch 5 shot groups at 30 yards. Fired from a bagged rest. I will with hold judgment until I try different ammo. But I was using high velocity federal 38 grain gold plated hollowpoints. The upper was not even as accurate as my 22 pistols frankly. I am not to the point of sending it back as it will still serve the mission I got it for which is as a training understudy but it will not be able to double as a small game rifle with this crappy accuracy.

Again I am going to try some different ammo before I pass judgement. Its the standard barrel. I am thinking I should have waited for the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade.
Pat

Buckaroo
03-18-09, 08:39
I am thinking I should have waited for the Lothar Walther barrel upgrade.
Pat

Thanks for the write-up.

I have not heard about a barrel upgrade, can you elaborate?

Thanks

Buckaroo

USMC0351
03-18-09, 13:34
What is the barrel twist? I'm guessing 1/9. Use heavier bullets and your accuracy should get better. I'm shooting those kind of groups at 100 yards with my 16" Bushy upper with conversion kit using 40gr bullets. I wouldn't think 2 grains would make a difference, but you never know.

Alaskapopo
03-18-09, 14:53
Thanks for the write-up.

I have not heard about a barrel upgrade, can you elaborate?

Thanks

Buckaroo

The site gave me a choice of waiting for a Lothar Walther barrel for 100 bucks more.

This is from Spikes
A3 flat top with 16" 1x16 twist chrome moly barrel (M4 cut on 16"), M4 handguards, flat top gas block or front site post, birdcage flash hider, Spike's Tactical .22lr bolt and charging handle.
Pat

Littlelebowski
03-18-09, 15:39
I gotta get me a job doing policework in AK, akpopo has all the new toys :D

Alaskapopo
03-18-09, 17:16
I gotta get me a job doing policework in AK, akpopo has all the new toys :D

I have spent too much lately. One more AR and then I am done. I just picked up a Saber Defense 20 inch A2 upper. I am going with a no frills build with it. No optic. Maybe a light.
Pat

thopkins22
03-18-09, 17:28
Mine is noticeably more accurate with CCI Mini-Mags.

The Federal stuff seems to be incredibly inconsistent.

Alaskapopo
03-18-09, 17:36
Mine is noticeably more accurate with CCI Mini-Mags.

The Federal stuff seems to be incredibly inconsistent.

Thanks next time I am in Anchorage I will pick some up and try it.
Pat

thopkins22
03-18-09, 19:20
Give it a shot. It's more expensive than I'm looking for to train with, but it's good if you're looking to take small game/see what the gun is capable of.

I still primarily shoot the federal bulk bricks.

Disciple
03-19-09, 05:38
I have some Green Magpul hand guards on the way.

Is that the MOE guard in foliage green? Where can I get one of those?

Alaskapopo
03-20-09, 15:25

Yes and I ordered it from magpuls sight. So no idea on when it will ship.
Pat

Dave L.
03-20-09, 15:32

I bought mine from Brownells.

Disciple
03-21-09, 06:13
The Brownells site confounds me. I see the stocks and the grips, but not the hand guards. Would you please provide a catalog number or link?

Alaskapopo
03-22-09, 00:46
I took it out again today to try some Remington Gold Bullet ammo I had. The gun hated the stuff and would not even to into battery without me forcing the bolt home by hand. I quickly gave up on that and went back to the Federal I had. The good news is I was able to milk a bit better accuracy out of it today. I was shooting at 50 yards and I got the groups down to about 2 inches. I can live with that.
Pat

austinN4
03-22-09, 07:36
I took it out again today to try some Remington Gold Bullet ammo I had. The gun hated the stuff and would not even to into battery without me forcing the bolt home by hand.
Yeah, the Goldens are really nasty - they are way to sticky to feed properly. Once I switched to Federal #750 bulk pack from Walmart my CMMG conversion has run 2,300 rounds without a problem.

Dave L.
03-22-09, 16:10
The Brownells site confounds me. I see the stocks and the grips, but not the hand guards. Would you please provide a catalog number or link?

Sorry man, I thought you mean MOE "Grip". I have heard someone say around here that they bought FG MOE hand guards from Magpul- you may have to call to order.

Alaskapopo
03-24-09, 14:06
got the handguard in.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20rifles/Greenlean22.jpg

Alaskapopo
03-25-09, 13:16
I was able to get the groups smaller. I tried CCI Mini mag and it grouped better but would not cycle at all. So far the only thing that does cycle is Federal 38 grain high velocity copper plated hollow points sold in the 400 round bricks. Someone on AR15.com told me I need to polish the chamber so I may do that. Although it runs great on the Federal. This target was shot at 50 yards with my 3x magnifier from the bench. I was able to shoot all the way out to 100 with acceptable results. I shot our departments qualification course with this .22 and it did fine.
Pathttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/22lrtarger.jpg

ghost762
03-26-09, 22:36
I just ordered mine. How long did it take for Spikes to proesss your order and ship it to you?

Alaskapopo
03-27-09, 03:25
I just ordered mine. How long did it take for Spikes to proesss your order and ship it to you?

approximately 2 weeks.
Pat

ghost762
04-01-09, 20:20
Does switching uppers affect the zero on my optics

Alaskapopo
04-01-09, 20:40
Does switching uppers affect the zero on my optics

No since the optic is mounted to the upper itself. The lower has no real bearing on the point of impact.
Pat

decodeddiesel
04-02-09, 17:06
That is pathetic accuracy from a dedicated upper. I would expect such things from a 1/7 upper with a drop in kit but not from a dedicated upper. Between this and the issues Shivan had with his upper you can count me out on these things.

ghost762
05-05-09, 19:20
Got to shoot my Spikes upper on Saturday. I have to say not bad. Don't recommend using mags from Pro Mag. It caused repeated jams. My Black Dog mag worked flawlessly.